Yamaha MT-09 Tracer - your thoughts

The Things We Ride
Kinioo

Yamaha MT-09 Tracer - your thoughts

Post by Kinioo »

Morning Chaps,

Recently visited my local Yamaha dealer as I was going to try 'big' Tenere.

Unfortunately they didn't have any, but the guy showed me MT-09 Tracer.

I didn't test ride it but generally I was quite impressed.

Done some research + YT - and it looks like this bike is getting very good feedback/reviews.

And I must say I am really interested in this bike!

My questions to you MT09 Tracer owners / users:

Q: How is it with two-up touring with luggage ?
Q: What's passenger feedback ?
Q: One of the down points is the screen - any aftermarket touring screens good ??

Many thanks,

Chris
RandG

Re: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer - your thoughts

Post by RandG »

Can't answer any of your questions but had one for 6 months and loved it, just couldn't live with the crude suspension, which is fine if you're young, but my old bones were aching on it.
leathers999

Post by leathers999 »

Had one for over a year now and love it! Only ride solo so don't know about pillions. Screen is not bad at all just depends on how tall you are. Very comfortable, on a trip to the Pyrenees last year did a 400 mile day with no issues. Fuel consumption is very good I am averaging around 50mpg. Most importantly it is FUN and goes like shit off a shovel!! (thumbs)
Hammy1

Post by Hammy1 »

My partner and I test rode an MT-09 Tracer, alongside the Honda Crosstourer, GS1200, KTM Adventure, Triumph Explorer and Super Tenere; the good lady found the Tracer to be the least comfortable and although good fun I thought the throttle was snatchy and it felt a little small/cramped when 2 up compared to the others tested (just our opinions of course), I ended up with the ******** not what I would have bought without testing all over 3 days!
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Hammy1 wrote:My partner and I test rode an MT-09 Tracer, alongside the Honda Crosstourer, GS1200, KTM Adventure, Triumph Explorer and Super Tenere; the good lady found the Tracer to be the least comfortable and although good fun I thought the throttle was snatchy and it felt a little small/cramped when 2 up compared to the others tested (just our opinions of course), I ended up with the ******** not what I would have bought without testing all over 3 days!
This is exactly what I want to test: "Tracer, Crostourer 1200 and big Tenere. I am hooked by Tracer but am not 100% sure how it works two up plus luggage??
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

I chopped my S10 in for a Tracer 9 two years ago... and not regretted it for a minute. I love the bike. Its power, the lightness, its comfort, been totally reliable and its brill on fuel.
But... I ride solo. If i constantly rode with a pillion, i probably would have kept my S10. I would imagine its quite cramped for two on the Tracer, its physically a fair bit smaller than the S10.

Also... i test rode the Crosstourer before i bought my S10 and the Honda didn't do anything for me. I also test rode the Guzzi Stelvio and loved it, but didn't trust it.
MotoMed

Post by MotoMed »

I had one last year but sold it after six months.
Whilst slightly cramped for pillion use, my main reason for getting rid was the harsh and very poor quality suspension. I tried my best to get the right settings but gave up.
A brilliant bike in many respects but suffered too much from cost cutting.
Bought a Triumph Explorer instead which is far better suited to my needs.
GB

Post by GB »

I rode one last year after my mate bought the MT-09, couldn't fault it to be honest, really good bike but, it didn't excite me like my 701 does, and thats riding on the road, without going off road.
Finally back on a GS :D
RandG

Post by RandG »

As it happens, I traded my s10 in for the tracer I bought. For touring and two up duties, the s10 would win hands down but feck me what a heavy beast, overweight and under powered for me, but again, I ride solo and like to nip on, s10 was just to much for that.
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Well, it looks like I will need to try it and probably take my wife as well.

However, I also do ride mostly solo, very occasionally my wife rides with me.

I have xt660z at the mo, and its brilliant bike but:

- I started to miss bit more power I had having Fazer before;
- My wife was complaining about comfort after...40miles;
- its a bit top heavy and tall + two up and luggage
- wind protection on motorways doesn't exist;

Don't know...

Return to “BIKES”