The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
herman

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by herman »

XF650 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 am Already looking to book a test ride. :mrgreen:

The Himalayan would solve a problem for me of too many bikes and a crowded garage as I'd get rid of at least two or three to take this one on. It'd nearly have the fun of the XT225 on trails, nearly the handling and economy of the Freewind, maybe have the easy touring comfort of the VX800 and nearly the character of my old Ducati with it's long stroke motor?

Could it be possible?
If you sell the VX give me a nod ;)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Ok, so I had my half hour test. The positives first. The bike is pretty comfortable, all the switchgear etc is simple and easy to use. I'd heard the clutch is heavy but it didn't seem that way to me. It's a really easy bike to ride and I very quickly felt at home on it. My test ride was over too soon. I found an unmade road and although not technically challenging, the bike coped admirably with mud and ruts etc.
And the negatives?
The saddle felt very narrow after riding a larger road bike but I guess that's what you need if you going to venture off road.
The engine DID feel a bit underpowered (yes I know that was to be expected after riding a larger bike but..) It felt a bit restricted at higher revs, running out of go after about 5k revs, and had an unpleasant buzzy rattle at about 4.5k revs.
The bike I was riding was Brand new, 8miles on the clock, Inwasthe first person bro ride it on the road, so maybe it'll loosen up once run in??
I'm not so sure though, something about the engine noise sounded "wrong" to me. I couldn't place it, suspect there may be something amiss with that particular bike. The dealer said he'll look into it and let me know.
So I'm still undecided but charmed enough to go back for a second ride. Maybe try their other demo bike which has a few hundred miles on the clock?

FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

I think I focussed more on the negatives than the positives there but don't want to give the wrong impression.
Overall I really liked it, honest 😁
Will post a pic if I can figure out how.
XF650

Post by XF650 »

herman wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm If you sell the VX give me a nod ;)
No probs Herman, but be warned, the Himalayan has got to be REALLY good for me to give up these bikes lol!
herman

Post by herman »

I know what you mean. I went back to one bike having to do it all which was ok for a while as I was not riding that much. That situation was only temporary so now it is up to three with an eye on a couple of models I like .
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Mike Horton wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:03 pm Freddy let me know how your demo ride goes!
Skippy how many miles have you covered so far, mines being picked up on 23ed March and I'll be doing a leisurely ride to Somerset for the weekend from the west mids so I'm hoping to get to know the bike straight away
Only managed to squeeze in just over 100 miles as were in the process of moving house. Hoping to rack up plenty more over the coming weeks and heading to Motorbeach in northern Spain on it this July.
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Skippy keep me updated mine is all ready for collection with panniers I'll be picking it up 23rd!
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

After much agonising I’ve decided the Himalayan isn’t the bike for me. Unquestionably a great little bike, I REALLY wanted to like it. But the engine is just a little too underpowered.
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

yep , definitely not a lot of power but "sufficient" for my requirements , went out a couple of days ago had a great ride , got back and checked - average speed 26 mph ! :lol:
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Different strokes for different folks. 😀
My wife said she knew I wouldn't buy it when I told her how much safer it would be riding slower.
Probably going for a 6 yr old BMW G650GS. Same height, same weight, twice the BHP and more torque.
Not keen on the look of the GS, I actually prefer the looks of the Himalayan but I don't have to look at it if I'm riding it.
😂

Return to “BIKES”