The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Dirk

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Dirk »

Are they allowed to call em Royal Enfields now then?, thought they were India Enfield?.
Kraut

Post by Kraut »

I'm really interested as my Deauville is becoming more of a pain in the bum and want something more offroad capable, but can take luggage and has character. Just did a goggle and found this...http://www.motofire.com/2017/04/news/ro ... n-defects/
...not very inspiring and at just over £2200 with the current exchange rate to Rupees is cheap as chips, but then we'll probably pay double. I'm guessing that the launch date has been put back a few times so they can rectify. Fair play to the Indian biking community for not putting up with the poor quality - RE should've taken their time. The last thing we want is ze Germans coming to ze rescue and slapping an extra 5k on the price. GS Himalayan doesn't have the same ring to it! Fingers crossed!
Make an effort
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I thought that about my MT350 and i owned it for ten years!
Trev wrote:One of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen, looks like I built it myself ...... I quite like it (thumbs)

Will need to be comfortable at least 10/15mph+ than my Enfield efi is though for even half sensible touring distances though unless you have a lot of time on your hands
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

The price for a Himalayan in this country is £3999 for the basic bike and £4599 for the bike with panniers etc. As for problems, the ones for the uk are updated spec ones,so shouldn't heve pro lems the Indian ones have had. I have been told mine will be here late May
Kraut

Post by Kraut »

Cheers Red! Last time we met up you were off on a trip. Can't remember where you went,but wherever it was I'm sure you enjoyed yourself. I'm currently writing an article about my recent Benelux trip for MEM. How do you know the price of the Himalayan? Is it cos you've paid the deposit or are you just being led up a path by dealerships who want to keep your interest?
Make an effort
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

I have paid a deposit. The bike was being built approx 27april and is due late May.Apparently it takes 2 weeks to get here on a ship, then customs are a bottleneck before the importer gets them
Kraut

Post by Kraut »

Is it carburettors or efi?
Make an effort
devon john

Post by devon john »

i do thousands of miles on a Royal Enfield ,,,,500 classic ,,

right theres one or two things i have done to make it a little more reliable , i.e. the engine now runs a roller bearing crank ,english valves,springs and guides ,omega piston ,,plazon ignition, etc,

it might seem silly spending money on a Indian bike but the initial cost of the bike was very cheap at a £1000

the engine work £1000 so all in around the £2000 the last year i did around 6000mls inc a trip to France

next week we are off to Spain&France ,,,, a 2000mls trip .

its fun it gives 80mpg ,,,, and can average 50mph over long distance

john
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

The euro models are efi and all have abs fitted
Trev

Post by Trev »

devon john wrote:i do thousands of miles on a Royal Enfield ,,,,500 classic ,,

right theres one or two things i have done to make it a little more reliable , i.e. the engine now runs a roller bearing crank ,english valves,springs and guides ,omega piston ,,plazon ignition, etc,

it might seem silly spending money on a Indian bike but the initial cost of the bike was very cheap at a £1000

the engine work £1000 so all in around the £2000 the last year i did around 6000mls inc a trip to France

next week we are off to Spain&France ,,,, a 2000mls trip .

its fun it gives 80mpg ,,,, and can average 50mph over long distance

john
Hi John, can I ask, who did your engine work? I have an efi that I've put 7k miles on over the last three years, now at just over 9k and although it's been reliable it does feel a bit tired now and I'm thinking of going for a motor rebuild with upgraded parts for a bit more performance ( :P )and future reliability.

Return to “BIKES”