The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Tink

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Tink »

Toe wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 am
Tink wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 am Anyone know where the closest royal Enfield dealer is near Northallerton North Yorkshire 🤔...

I'd like to test ride one👍
Few options by the looks of it - https://royalenfield.com/uk/locateus/dealers
Dave Wood MC, York
D W MC, Scarborough
Eddys Moto, Shipley
Thanks for that 👍👍👍👍👍👍
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Picking mine up tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. Already ordered some extras such as handguards, slip on pipe and spacers to lift the lower mudguard up to allow more knobbly tyres to fit more easily. Next thing will be a HD bashplate.......because I like the look of it, not because I have enough talent to take it anywhere difficult. :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (208.57 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

We had a bike show locally last weekend.

The RE was on display, along with the usual plethora of Triumphs and BMWs.

In perspective you could buy 5 REs for the price of a K1600.

The level of interest and positive response to the RE was quite interesting. Up close it does look good, good enough to own and enjoy. Comes with panniers, well thought out rear end for carrying lots of camping kit.

Would I buy one? Yes I would. Up close it seems to tick a lot of boxes, well equipped, perfect for A and B roads and wandering a countryside, light enough to go on unmetalled country lanes and more, enough power to keep up with traffic on the A and B roads and uncomplicated. It will go where a big off roader goes but with half the weight. The darn thing is cheap enough to use once a year or every day and not worry about.

The guys I saw looking closely at it were well seasoned riders and green laners and guess we will be seeing some of them on one soon.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

I was looking at a Himalayan, thinking about booking a test ride, when this bloke rode up on a CCM to take it out for the test ride he’d (sensibly) pr-booked. I thought at the time I should give him my number and ask him to give me some feedback....especially as he arrived on something a little more focussed on off roading. Anyways, I didn’t ask but kicked myself later . So imagine my surprise while researching the Enfield further to find this post :D
Jak* wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 pm I took one out for a test ride today whilst my CCM GP was being serviced. It was interesting riding my bike up there, borrowing another GP from CCM then riding the Himalayan. My GP is the short version and the one they lent me was the high one. The two bikes seem very different, I feel like I sit in mine,rather than on, the high one. Mine is also a lot noisier, although CCM say there is nothing wrong with it.
The Enfield was a similar height to my low version and at 5'8" it was a good height for me. I really liked the riding position, but it is much more a road bike riding position than the CCM. Initially the Enfield felt a bit gutless, but then I guess it would after the CCM. Once I was used to it, the acceleration up to 60 ish was okay. It seemed to run out of steam at about 75. It handled really well on some tight twisty roads, I did not take it off road, but over some potholes the suspension seemed okay, though not in the same league as the CCM.
If you want a bike to commute on, do twisty lanes and the occasional easy green lane it would be great. It is not as dedicated off road bike as the CCM or a CRF, although I sure a competent rider would prove me wrong. Someone used to riding the old British four stroke singles from the fifties would probably think it was amazing.
The quality of finish looked good, but then it should after the 270 or so miles it had done. It did look better than the current wave of Chinese built 250s.
Would I buy one? If I had a desire to but a brand new bike to commute, or could only have one bike and was not in a hurry then I would consider it. Although I could buy a secondhand Enfield 500 efi for about two and a half grand that would do that job just as well.
I think the Himalayan would be a great step up from a 125 and would make an excellent bike for riding schools to use.
Cheers Jak
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

SOME HELPFUL ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE PLEASE.....
When I say newbie, I mean to this forum, I’ve been riding bikes for nearly 40 years now.
Most recently a Honda VFR but for various reasons (not least the ever more ubiquitous potholes that have become a standard fixture on British roads these days!) I made the decision to get something a bit lighter with longer travel suspension.
I don’t need a mile muncher any more either, I’ve gone from 400-500 miles per week down to 40 or 50 thanks to new job with company car.
Back in the day I had a DT175 (my first “real” motorbike) which I loved, and later an XL250 which I still have, (albeit in about 100 pieces in my attic and not really a viable option in the short term) and remember really wanting an XL500 but couldn’t afford one.
I have had a yen of late for something a bit like the old XL500. A return to simpler days. I,ve been quite surprised to find that there aren’t very many equivalents to the old fashioned “Trail bike” these days. Please correct me if I’m wrong but bikes seem to be more focused on either on or off road.
SO, I find myself quite attracted to the Himalayan. I like the “2 wheeled land rover” aspect, and most reviews I’ve read seem mostly positive. But I’m a little put off by the 24.5 bhp (will it just feel too slow? Will that really matter that much if I’m mostly riding back roads and green lanes?) I’m going to test ride one soon which might answer those questions.
But, is there something else I should consider? I still want something I can feasibly commute on if necessary but that will also be sure footed enough for some gentle off roading.
Suggestions please.
Thanks in advance :D
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Not sure I can answer many of your questions but I’m just back from India and riding an Enfield 350 which has less than 20bhp but this was sufficient on Indian roads although I’m sure would quickly become tedious on European roads because the other traffic will be moving so much faster even on backroads.

I was reading a French bike magazine where they had a review of the Himalayan. The positive points they noted were value for money, robuste construction and ease of riding off road, negative point was lack of power/performance. As they say Royal Enfield have re-invented the XT! If I remember rightly the XT 500 had about the same horsepower (back in 1976).
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Magnon wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am Not sure I can answer many of your questions but I’m just back from India and riding an Enfield 350 which has less than 20bhp but this was sufficient on Indian roads although I’m sure would quickly become tedious on European roads because the other traffic will be moving so much faster even on backroads.

I was reading a French bike magazine where they had a review of the Himalayan. The positive points they noted were value for money, robuste construction and ease of riding off road, negative point was lack of power/performance. As they say Royal Enfield have re-invented the XT! If I remember rightly the XT 500 had about the same horsepower (back in 1976).
I’m probably being overly nostalgic but I remember lusting after my mates XT and later, the XL500 :D .
Maybe it’s just rose tinted specs but I remember the days when riding a slow bike fast felt like more fun than what I seem to do nowadays.....ride a fast bike slow. Well, I say that, I actually just sold my bike so right now ANY bike would be good, especially with springtime round the corner.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

I remember having a lot of fun on the road on an XT500. The XT’s quoted hp is 27 which is only a few more than the Himalayan and I suspect some extra horses could be released by pulling off some of the emissions crap they’re obliged to fit these days.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Magnon wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am I was reading a French bike magazine where they had a review of the Himalayan. The positive points they noted were value for money, robuste construction and ease of riding off road, negative point was lack of power/performance. As they say Royal Enfield have re-invented the XT! If I remember rightly the XT 500 had about the same horsepower (back in 1976).
Good value, well built, and competent off road? Sounding good to me.
Am going to have to at least give this bike a test ride.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Magnon wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:17 pm I remember having a lot of fun on the road on an XT500. The XT’s quoted hp is 27 which is only a few more than the Himalayan and I suspect some extra horses could be released by pulling off some of the emissions crap they’re obliged to fit these days.
I bet it’d sound better too. 🙂

Return to “BIKES”