The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
nathanm

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by nathanm »

9250 miles on mine. No issues to report. Dry head bearings the only niggle.

Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Looking forward to some more reports on your travels Nathen. Interesting what you say about the head bearings. I am just coming up to a 1000miles and was thinking of pulling it apart and greasing up the head and monoshock bearings if I can be arsed but I know long term it makes sense. I think they are a pinch tight as well. I did a quick count up on the fill up today and £8 (1.3 gallons?) lasted 123 miles! Thats about 90 to the gallon I think. Enjoying the elastic power delivery and I need to get a decent dirty adventure under my belt to really test it. Will head off to the Berwyns soon. Clutch and gearbox are no DRZ box but fine. You really do feel you can head off anywhere on one.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Yeah I think like a lot of brands they skimp a bit on the greasing, and I think the torquing was a bit out on mine as well. It was done at 4200 miles and has been fine since. I've not really done many fuel calculations but on a motorway run back down from John o'Groats I worked it out to be about 72mpg, which I thought was pretty good, holding it a constant 68-70mph. Totally agree though, it's such an easily useable bike and I've found it much more capable on the trails than I was expecting. It's proving to be a great package.
jonesey

Post by jonesey »

I've done a couple of thousand road miles now, and generally can't fault the bike. 1st service was just under a hundred quid, no problems apart from standard stuff like punctures! The rear wheel is a bit of a faff to get back on compared with some bikes, but at least it has a decent centre stand. Fuel consumption is 75 to 85 mpg on mine, depending on how I ride it. This really is a tough, capable bike for the money, and I'm happy with the performance level, handling etc. Definitely agree with above comments that it feels like you could get on this bike and just keep going.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Test rode one of these today and thought I would post my thoughts on it. To me this is one of those bikes that is better than the sum of it's parts. The handling and suspension were not top drawer but matched the characteristics of the bike well. The handling was nice and light while still being predictable and the suspension was compliant and soaked up the bumps well while not being too soft. The rear brake was good but the front lacked any bite and a good squeeze was needed. The ABS was very snatchy on the rear on tarmac. Off road the bike handled rough stony ground very well when kept to a sedate speed and felt like there was very little that would stop it's forward progress. The performance for me was the only part of the bike that I couldn't live with. Into a head wind it wouldn't pull 70mph in 5th or 4th gear. There may be a fix for this but as standard it wouldn't be suitable for long fast road work which as a travel bike I need to get me to parts of Europe within a reasonable amount of time.

All in all a good bike at a very good price in my opinion.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
jonesey

Post by jonesey »

Yep, agree with that dubber68. Not sure how much of a headwind you were up against; my Himalayan holds 70 ok, but I grant you there's not much left at that speed against the wind! I think the bike meets the concept/design brief RE were aiming for pretty well, and at a reasonable price. Each to their own as they say :|
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

I have nearly 4k on my himalayan now and I'm more than happy with it. I think once worn in the engine runs smooth, I use it for commuting and trips out on larger a roads and small country lanes. I have taken the bike on 200 miles plus trips fully loaded up with wife panniers and dry bag. If will happily travel up to 80mph but suits a 60mph ride much better.
As others have said fuel consumption is great currently averaging 79.9mpg.

For 4k I don't think you can knock the value. People knock its performance but after all it's a 400cc 25bhp all rounder not a big cube tourer so you can't compare it with one.

I'm hoping to take it over to France next year and I don't envisage any issues. I'm happy to cruise at 60 and take in the sights!
IMG_20180719_093531.jpg
IMG_20180719_093531.jpg (126.72 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi, I finally got mine about three weeks ago, I did a straight swap with Royal Enfield for a Himalayan, plus panniers, heated grips and hand guards for my GP450. I rode the GP down to Bruntingthorpe, had a chat with some of the Enfield team, said hello to a couple of the top guys who were over from India and rode the Enfield back.
I have now done nearly 500 miles and I am convinced that for my needs the Enfield is the better bike. Although so far I have only ridden a couple of very easy green lanes the Himalayan coped fine. I hope to do a few more when I have time. For my daily commute so far the Enfield wins hands down. There have been a few occasions when I miss the hooligan feel of the CCM but I have always enjoyed the challenge of riding 'slow bikes' quickly. The Enfield (particularly when running in) is a bit like riding my old Norton single. You have to look ahead and judge distances, speeds etc in order to maintain momentum. Due to the light weight of the CCM and the frantic nature of the engine you could scream it into a bend, haul on the brakes and whack the throttle open on the exit. All great fun but in terms of time over my commute it makes virtually no difference and the Enfield is much more relaxing. My Enfield is currently doing over eighty to the gallon which is a lot better than the fifty five to sixty I got out of the CCM.
The quality of the build of the Enfield seems way above the CCM with waterproof connectors everywhere and some depth on the powder coating. I have yet to see how it stands up,to winter riding, although after the torrential rain we had last week it does seem to be easier to clean.
I am looking at fitting some crash bars and know there are plenty available from India ( I did find some in For sale in Columbia but can't find the website again). I am surprised that Enfield do not do a wider range of accessories as I would imagine there would be a reasonable demand for them.
I would be interested in what other accessories people have fitted. Mine came with the latest Oxford 'intelligent' heated grips which are excellent and Oxford hanguards which are pretty but not much use. I intend swapping them for something else, what have other people got fitted. I am prattling about with some army gas mask bags to fit on the tank guards and when I have finished will post some photos. I am also trying to find a way to fit my DID chain oiler.
Anyway so far so good.
Cheers Jak
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike Jak.

Just back from a trip across the US on mine putting her up to 15600 miles. Handled the task with no problems. And I would agree, it stacks up quite nicely against the CCM as a travel bike and would be my pick of the two for a laid back pace. Very competent on the trails when loaded as well.
Tink

Post by Tink »

Went to my local dealer for Royal Enfield to have a look and sit on the Himalayan....
Bike looks even better in the flesh and is very comfortable riding position, also noticed that the weight of the bike is very low so it feels a lot lighter than it is....
So next year I'll be looking for a second hand Himalayan once I've got saved up 👍🤗🤗

Return to “BIKES”