The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Jak*

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Jak* »

Is that an Enfield tank bag on the black one above?
Cheers Jak
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

I don't know if anyone else has had issues with the rear brake caliper seizing. I did mention this on another himalayan thread on here.
Long story short I cleaned up the caliper and eased the piston off, used some red rubber grease and then replaced the pads.
They seemed to be wearing quite heavily and depositing a lot of dust. Now I've replaced the pads front and rear here's my findings

An update on the brakes, I'm so pleased I changed them over, the improvement was easier to realise with a pillion. My wife and I have done loads of long trips on the himmy, with the new brakes it's far easier. Before fully laden the brakes were either on or off, they feel far more progressive now less heat transfer to the discs and smooths out the braking making it easier work and a comfier ride for my wife.
I'm no heavy breaker and a single cylinder means you can make good advantage age of engine braking.
Even my wife noticed the difference, u have more confidence in the bike and my riding now.
But I have to say it feels like a different and better machine now. For less than £40 for front and rear pads supplied by demon tweeks I'm glad I made the change.
I'd strongly recommend changing the pads for the money. I fitted some ebc double H sintered pads.
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Mike Horton wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 pm I don't know if anyone else has had issues with the rear brake caliper seizing. I did mention this on another himalayan thread on here.
Long story short I cleaned up the caliper and eased the piston off, used some red rubber grease and then replaced the pads.
They seemed to be wearing quite heavily and depositing a lot of dust. Now I've replaced the pads front and rear here's my findings

An update on the brakes, I'm so pleased I changed them over, the improvement was easier to realise with a pillion. My wife and I have done loads of long trips on the himmy, with the new brakes it's far easier. Before fully laden the brakes were either on or off, they feel far more progressive now less heat transfer to the discs and smooths out the braking making it easier work and a comfier ride for my wife.
I'm no heavy breaker and a single cylinder means you can make good advantage age of engine braking.
Even my wife noticed the difference, u have more confidence in the bike and my riding now.
But I have to say it feels like a different and better machine now. For less than £40 for front and rear pads supplied by demon tweeks I'm glad I made the change.
I'd strongly recommend changing the pads for the money. I fitted some ebc double H sintered pads.
Thanks Mike. The brakes were the only thing I wasn’t enamoured of so I’ll have a look into doing that soon 👍
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:00 pm
Mike Horton wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 pm I don't know if anyone else has had issues with the rear brake caliper seizing. I did mention this on another himalayan thread on here.

Thanks Mike. The brakes were the only thing I wasn’t enamoured of so I’ll have a look into doing that soon 👍
I was amazed with the difference for very little investment! I like the ebcs but other options are hitchcocks do ferrodo sintered they were a little bit more but demon tweeks service is always good and speedy delivery too. Let me know your views if you change yours. I certainly think they should be fitted as standard but it's an easy fit, kept me out if the wife's way for a bit!
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Aah. I’ll have a look into those and let you know how it goes.
Chris S

Re: Himalayan review

Post by Chris S »

My thoughts after riding my Him for a month and 4000 miles Morocco:
https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2019 ... ile-review

Short version:
• At £4000 new with the stock equipment, it’s a bargain
• Low, 800mm seat – at last a travel bike not limited to tall people
• Enfield build quality stood up to it
• Efi motor pulled smoothly up to nearly 10,000′
• Michelin Anakee Wilds (run tubeless) – great do-it-all tyres
• Low CoG and 21-″ front make it agile on the dirt
• Rear YSS shock
• Yes it’s 190kg, but road and trail, it carries it well
• Subframe easily sturdy enough for load carrying
• Economy went up and up: averaged 78 mpg (65 US; 27.6kpl; 3.62L/100k)
• 400km range from the 15-litre tank – about 250 miles

• Weak front brake on the road (fitting sintered pads is a fix)
• As a result, front ABS is a bit docile
• Stock seat foam way too mushy for my bulk
• Tubliss core failed on the front; replaced with inner tube
• Centre stand hangs low – but can be raised
• Valves need checking every 3000 miles (according to manual)
• Small digit dash data hard to read at a glance
• Compass always wrong
• Head bearings went notchy at 4000 miles, despite regressing @ 1200

Mike Horton

Re: Himalayan review

Post by Mike Horton »

Chris S wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm My thoughts after riding my Him for a month and 4000 miles Morocco:
https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2019 ... ile-review

Short version:
• At £4000 new with the stock equipment, it’s a bargain
• Low, 800mm seat – at last a travel bike not limited to tall people
• Enfield build quality stood up to it
• Efi motor pulled smoothly up to nearly 10,000′
• Michelin Anakee Wilds (run tubeless) – great do-it-all tyres
• Low CoG and 21-″ front make it agile on the dirt
• Rear YSS shock
• Yes it’s 190kg, but road and trail, it carries it well
• Subframe easily sturdy enough for load carrying
• Economy went up and up: averaged 78 mpg (65 US; 27.6kpl; 3.62L/100k)
• 400km range from the 15-litre tank – about 250 miles

• Weak front brake on the road (fitting sintered pads is a fix)
• As a result, front ABS is a bit docile
• Stock seat foam way too mushy for my bulk
• Tubliss core failed on the front; replaced with inner tube
• Centre stand hangs low – but can be raised
• Valves need checking every 3000 miles (according to manual)
• Small digit dash data hard to read at a glance
• Compass always wrong
• Head bearings went notchy at 4000 miles, despite regressing @ 1200

Chris.

Im glad your using urs to the max. Mine is having its 6.5k service end of the week and a new rear tyre as its well, worn. I've not used mine anywhere like you're but a year or so in with mine and having sorted a few issues I'm looking forward to some summer fun!
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Do you have any details on the led headlight Chris and was it easy enough to fit?
Chris S

Himalayan

Post by Chris S »

It came with the bike. I fitted it to save the stock one had I smashed it.
Looks like the same cheapie I fitted to my XSR Scrambler which came with no headlight.
Never rode either in darkness for long but I'm not convinced it will turn night into day.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173512264075

Also looking forward to getting mine back, serviced and running around this summer.
That's if I don't flog it for the next best thing.
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

👍 Thanks for the link looks good value. I was toying with chopping mine in for something else I had a few niggles which annoyed me for a new bike but after much harassment of the dealers they have sorted the issues. If there are no further issues this summer I'll be looking to hang onto it long term and maybe do a few more mods

Return to “BIKES”