The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
XF650

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by XF650 »

Finally got a test ride yesterday on the Himalayan at Bolton Motorcycles. Impressions? Well, I came back
feeling that this was a really decent bike. Obviously the power wasn't going to tear your arms out but it was
never meant to. Handling was good, suspension worked well enough with the potholes, brakes were acceptable and
vibrations were minimal. Dash was easily read with good info including a slow reacting compass. Exhaust noise
very pleasant and matched the bike's easy nature perfectly. Five gears, easy clutch and perfect fuelling. Yup,
a very relaxing and calm ride that made you feel as though you could travel a few hundred miles quite easily
and be totally chilled about it. Seat was good though what it's like long distance I couldn't say. Economy was
showing an average of 65mpg but I'm sure that would be a whole lot better when properly broken in and on a
tour. Plus marks all round.

When talking to Bob at the dealership, I commented that it would've been that much better if it had been 500cc.
He pointed to a Benelli TRK 502 which was £1k more and asked if I wanted to take it out. So I did. Fook me,
what a horrible bike that was! Tank immediately got in the way of my knees (I'm 6'1"), engine felt weak for a
500, the handlebars tried to numb my fingers at 60mph and the suspension was totally shite and would've
ultimately done my back in. Made the Himalayan feel like a dream machine! Needless to say, that test ride was
much shorter. Only plus side was that it came with pannier rack & crash bars as standard. Er, ya, that's about
it.

So, Bob then asked if I wanted to try the new Suzuki DL250 Vstrom while I was there. Hell ya, I've had two
DL1000's in my time and really loved them so thought this would be an interesting comparison. Similar bhp and
price as the Himalayan but in modern Jap 250cc water cooled vertical twin form so not quite as simple. Took her
out for a spin. So so different to the other two! Very revvy, reasonably smooth and an extremely light feel.
Handling was probably better than the Himalayan, comfort was good, brakes excellent, 6 speed gearbox and a
comprehensive dash. Gears were very very low, you're doing 7.5k rpm at 60 in top so always sounds as though
you're thrashing it. Having said that it was surprising how it would actually accept well under 30 mph in 6th
and still pull. Also surprising is that I didn't feel cramped on the little Suzi. Economy is supposed to be
superb, again showing up the RE slightly and I was told that top speed is limited electronically to 85mph. I
came back feeling that this would be an ideal fun bike that you could use to work out some of life's
aggressions without hurting yourself or your licence.

So, which was my personal favourite? Which would I choose? No question, it would be the Himalayan. It's easy
nature and solid "do anything" feel won hands down. Add the fact that it's £4.2k otr (£4.7k with the panniers)
and it's a bargain to boot for anyone buying new. Nuff said. But will I buy one? Now there's the rub. I had a
long think about it. I came to the conclusion that if I didn't own the XF650 then, yes, definitely. But the
Freewind is such a brilliant all rounder that I think it would be hard to justify effectively spending a few
thousand pounds on top of what I'd probably get for the XF. It's economy, handling, comfort & brakes are superb
AND it's got the extra power and torque that makes a huge difference when touring.
An interesting test ride session, many thanks to Bob at Bolton Motorcycles who was really helpful and didn't
enter into the usual salesman pressure push. Recommended!
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Very interesting comparison , thanks very much, I'm liking the the sound of the Himalayan from various test riders reports :D
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks for time and effort put into that, good to get a comparison of bikes not made by the big boys 8-) .
Must admit I'm not sold on the looks but there is no denying the Himalayan looks good value for money especially now the price of some of the other less known bikes are going up ie SWM, WK/CF Moto etc ........... I wonder how long before the Himalayan increases in price??????
Just imagine an XF650 engine in an enduro chassis but with a larger petrol tank .............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
PeaksFeb08003.JPG
PeaksFeb08003.JPG (163.09 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
144.JPG
144.JPG (248.96 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
uturntony

Post by uturntony »

XF650 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:12 am Finally got a test ride yesterday on the Himalayan at Bolton Motorcycles. Impressions? Well, I came back
feeling that this was a really decent bike. Obviously the power wasn't going to tear your arms out but it was
never meant to. Handling was good, suspension worked well enough with the potholes, brakes were acceptable and
vibrations were minimal. Dash was easily read with good info including a slow reacting compass. Exhaust noise
very pleasant and matched the bike's easy nature perfectly. Five gears, easy clutch and perfect fuelling. Yup,
a very relaxing and calm ride that made you feel as though you could travel a few hundred miles quite easily
and be totally chilled about it. Seat was good though what it's like long distance I couldn't say. Economy was
showing an average of 65mpg but I'm sure that would be a whole lot better when properly broken in and on a

So, which was my personal favourite? Which would I choose? No question, it would be the Himalayan. It's easy
nature and solid "do anything" feel won hands down. Add the fact that it's £4.2k otr (£4.7k with the panniers)
and it's a bargain to boot for anyone buying new. Nuff said. But will I buy one? Now there's the rub. I had a
long think about it. I came to the conclusion that if I didn't own the XF650 then, yes, definitely. But the
Freewind is such a brilliant all rounder that I think it would be hard to justify effectively spending a few
thousand pounds on top of what I'd probably get for the XF. It's economy, handling, comfort & brakes are superb
AND it's got the extra power and torque that makes a huge difference when touring.
An interesting test ride session, many thanks to Bob at Bolton Motorcycles who was really helpful and didn't
enter into the usual salesman pressure push. Recommended!

I rode the same bike a few weeks ago and found the same as you; it had 46 miles on the clock. I liked it a lot and felt i could take it anywhere.
The engine i thought was a little noisy but pulled well enough and galloped up to 60 readily where it aquitted itself well through the bends.
It may not have the power of others but it produces more torque than the BMW G 310 S and, crucially at 4k rpm which is 3.5k rpm lower than the BMW making it a real plodder and ideal for the back roads, trails and tracks. Front brake was weak and needed a real squeeze to get much retardation. Perhaps that can be fixed with different pads. Riding position for me at 5'7" was excellent and a bonus, i could get my feet flat on the floor. Overall i found the bike a delight because of it's no fuss relaxed manner and ease of handling. An issue i do have with the bike though is the 3k valve adjustment interval. This seems a bit silly on such a low powered low tech. engine and out of step with the service interval of 6k miles.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Only 2 possible explanations for such a short valve service interval in this day and age:

1) Purely precautionary...and to do with poor quality fuel in some of the places where the bike may operate.

2) The valve and/or valve-seat materials specified are rubbish, and they know it

However, if the valves are screw-and-nut adjusted then no worries: it's easy enough to do. If they require you to have a micrometer, shim kit etc than it rather knocks the idea of this as a long-haul adventure bike on the head.
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

XF650 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:12 am Finally got a test ride yesterday on the Himalayan at Bolton Motorcycles. Impressions? Well, I came back
Great write up XF 8-) , yep the compass is very slow reacting I wondered if it was intentional to "damp out" bends in the road etc making it swing around , it does mean if you make a turn at a junction you won't know for a while if it was the right direction - need to plan ahead !

I'm seeing just over 80mpg from mine atm which gives a quite decent range on 15 litres.

I've changed my front pads to sintered EBCs and the brake is better but not transformed - hoping it'll improve as they bed in or I just get used to it ...

Valve check is odd at 3,000 considering the oil change is at 6,000 - seems the wrong way round , I'd be changing oil much before that. valve adjustment is best done with the head removed due to the double desmo system needing shimming and the synchronisation phasing checked with a strobe I was told ..........

Either that or there is only two valves that are screw and lock nut adjusted ...... 8-) :lol: Reports seem to indicate that the valves might need an adjustment at that first 3000 miles but then settle down for the longer term which makes sense .
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

I've put nearly 800miles on mine, great on long rides a trip from west Midlands to Minehead and back on the a roads with pillion and panniers fully loaded was a great test.
Impressed so far ideal for unhurried weekend trips out and commuting. Dealer has indicated the valves should settle in quick enough but I guess time will tell with reliability.
Ticks all the boxes for me but a bike is a personal thing I have no regrets so far.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I saw a Himalayan in the flesh for the first time today at one of RE's dealers, Watsonian. It looks great, much better than in magazine/internet images. I feel a test ride is necessary!
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

The great fuel economy is great I can't knock it and nearly 2000miles on still chuffed with my purchase. Rides great with my wife on the back and seat is great on longer trips!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180517-123902.jpg
Screenshot_20180517-123902.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I have mine loaded up for leading a run from Land's End to John o'Groats this weekend; camping and taking all the back roads. It runs really well with luggage and when it's loaded it seems to suit the pace of the bike much better. Mine cruises at 65/70mph, so no rocket ship, but suits a more gentle adventure. I really like it on the trails as well. A dealer is currently working on a suspension rising kit, just to give it a bit more ground clearance, which would be good, but overall I can't find much fault with it as standard.

Return to “BIKES”