The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Tyrant68

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Tyrant68 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:25 pm
Tyrant68 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:15 pm A trip over to Cooperb today to try the Himalayan and wow, fell in love.
So, a KTM 400 exc and a WK400 for sale 😁🤣20190309_202012.jpg
20190309_201919.jpg

Does it do the job of both, or is the riding you do changing?
I havent ridden the exc in 2 years. I've taken the wk down byways I've taken the exc down but only in the dry.
I'm really after a bike I can overland and a few ldts. Reckon the Himmy is the one.
If I got the exc running I would ride it and definitely sell the WK, which to be fair has never missed a beat .
The Himmy wins as it's lower, the weight lower and in Saturday's high winds amazingly stable
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
crofty

Post by crofty »

Kiwiscoot wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:45 pm Either you guys pay a lot more for the Himalayan or the Versys is very cheap there but here in NZ the Versys is 28% more expensive than the Himalayan. There is really nothing to compete against the Himalayan here in the price bracket. Even the Chinese Benelli is up there in the same price bracket as the Versys 300X.
Its the same here the versys is considerably dearer, but there are a few new deals around in the UK which runs the Himalayan very close.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

One of the advantages of the Himalayan is, that for the OTR price, it is ready to go. £500 buys you the Enfield frames and panniers if you want, or there are cheaper options for a frame for soft luggage. With the others you have to factor in the cost and weight of the bits you need.
Cheers Jak
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

gspod wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:35 pm Just to throw this into the mix :?

For the same price a Kawasaki verseys 300x can be bought. I’d be interested to try them back to back as an overland bike. The Verseys is getting good reviews in the US and with a 19” front wheel reports are that off road performance is better than the sum of its parts - certainly when compared to the 300 BMW.

Himalayan looks a great bike.
It's not a bad bike, but it's very revvy. Nothing happens unitl about 5-6,000, then it takes of like a scalded cat. This was the killer for me. The riding position was excellent, and I didn't have a problem with the hardseat, in the short 1 hr test ride. If the moved the power down the rev range, it'd be a really nice bike.
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Mike Horton wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 pm At present I'm still having issues with my himalayan. The clocks are badly misting to the point I can't see them and the pannier rails rusting. The rails are not made to the same quality as the rest of the bike. 3 months on its sort of resolved. However RE have told the dealer the clocks are only water resistant which even the dealer thought odd and the rails they will rub down and spray paint up.
My wife has outed them in social media as RE were ignoring my emails, finally i got to speak to someone today at motogb the importers. In short they told me the issue is still with the dealer. The dealer initially told me they would pull the clocks apart and put silica gel in them however with how wet they are i explained the water damage has affected the clocks. They have finally agreed to replace them. In the rails they refuse to sort sati g it's not covered by warranty, I only had them last March and reported the issue in Jan they can't tell me how long the guarantee is with them. I stated I would sort that issue via small claims court to which they stated RE would most likely try and do me for deformation bizarrely. As I have legal cover I was quite happy to take that risk they have now back pedalled and stated they will treat and plastic coat the rails.

The hoops you have to jump through is unreal for 2 problems they could easily sort. RE kept quoting protocol however this as I told them it doesn't send out a goof message to customers that they don't really care about their customers. I still love the bike but not the aftercare. If anyone else has issues keep pressuring the dealer they eventually will sort it. Rant over lol
Well finally the clock issue is getting sorted. The dealers have agreed to put a new set in which is fantastic news. Had to jump through a few hoops but I'll drop it off later for them to sort. Glad it's being done as I'm taking it for a trek from the Midlands down to Brighton end of the month
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Mike Horton wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 am
Mike Horton wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 pm At present I'm still having issues with my himalayan. The clocks are badly misting to the point I can't see them and the pannier rails rusting. The rails are not made to the same quality as the rest of the bike. 3 months on its sort of resolved. However RE have told the dealer the clocks are only water resistant which even the dealer thought odd and the rails they will rub down and spray paint up.
My wife has outed them in social media as RE were ignoring my emails, finally i got to speak to someone today at motogb the importers. In short they told me the issue is still with the dealer. The dealer initially told me they would pull the clocks apart and put silica gel in them however with how wet they are i explained the water damage has affected the clocks. They have finally agreed to replace them. In the rails they refuse to sort sati g it's not covered by warranty, I only had them last March and reported the issue in Jan they can't tell me how long the guarantee is with them. I stated I would sort that issue via small claims court to which they stated RE would most likely try and do me for deformation bizarrely. As I have legal cover I was quite happy to take that risk they have now back pedalled and stated they will treat and plastic coat the rails.

The hoops you have to jump through is unreal for 2 problems they could easily sort. RE kept quoting protocol however this as I told them it doesn't send out a goof message to customers that they don't really care about their customers. I still love the bike but not the aftercare. If anyone else has issues keep pressuring the dealer they eventually will sort it. Rant over lol
Well finally the clock issue is getting sorted. The dealers have agreed to put a new set in which is fantastic news. Had to jump through a few hoops but I'll drop it off later for them to sort. Glad it's being done as I'm taking it for a trek from the Midlands down to Brighton end of the month
The clocks appear to be a known problem. The RE facebook page has a quite few posts about it. Some have drilled holes in the bottom
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Yes definitely it's just a shame they take so long to resolve the issues whe it's a simple fix. Fingers crossed it should be sorted now most I know who have a himalayan have had no issues but a few like me have. A dodgy batch I guess
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Took mine for an 80 mile trip with a little run down the Fosseway Byway. Feels very planted.
Same issues on the clocks so may be looking at drilling the holes later.
Maybe could do with a slightly higher screen but all in all a very well sorted bike and a lot of fun to ride 👍
F99F4850-3B6F-46EF-8B05-F9E62887909F.jpeg
F99F4850-3B6F-46EF-8B05-F9E62887909F.jpeg (202.61 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Great pic mate glad ur using it for its intended purpose. Hitchcocks do a bigger screen, I'm looking to buy one for the summer to reduce the buffeting. I'd contact the dealer re the clocks after some complaining mine is in their workshop now having new ones. Mine got bad to the point the rev counter was misreading. Drilling the holes works for some but invalidates ur warranty especially if u get electrical faults down the line
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I know, it’s a really tricky one. It’s not too bad and I was chatting to someone who had their clocks replaced because of misting and it still came back on the new ones too, though not so much.
Trying to find out where they drilled and what has been the long term impact of doing it 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)

Return to “BIKES”