The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
SteveR

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by SteveR »

nathanm wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:27 pm I have mine loaded up for leading a run from Land's End to John o'Groats this weekend; camping and taking all the back roads.

Looks well gnarly :-)
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Put some more pics on along your journey please!!!!
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

It will be interesting to see how the finish stands up on your bike Nathan. I think may be the Himalayan will be a better all rounder than the CCM GP450, which whilst a brilliant off road bike, is according to CCM really a high day's and holiday's bike which requires almost constant cleaning and checking.
Cheers Jack
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi, I am hoping to have another test ride on a Himalayan this week and I was interested in the views of those who currently own them. What mpg are you getting? How is the finish standing up? What are they like off road, compared to say a CRF or TTR 250? Are then any annoying features that make you regret buying one? Has anyone had or heard of any warranty issues?
Thanks Jak
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

Jak* wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 pm Hi, I am hoping to have another test ride on a Himalayan this week and I was interested in the views of those who currently own them. What mpg are you getting? How is the finish standing up? What are they like off road, compared to say a CRF or TTR 250? Are then any annoying features that make you regret buying one? Has anyone had or heard of any warranty issues?
Thanks Jak
Specifically , my last two fill ups have been 95 and 91 mpg , thats at 55-60 mph type speeds , finish doing ok , some salt "stains" on some rear wheel spokes - not rust but discoloured plating , two stone chips on front of swingingarm but TBH its a "Hammerite Satin Black" type of bike , not a replace my plastics they're scratched type ;-) . Not ridden a CRF and TTR ride was years ago , suggest Himma is more road orientated , less suspension more weight , cruises better than the specs would suggest & for once I'm not looking at my next bike . No regrets on buying , would have preffered a non ABS, carbed one maybe for the long term but we will see . Warranty I have heard of the clutch centre nut needing a new washer & a tighten but no component failures I've been aware of .
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

Still using the standard MT60 tyres which it gets a surprising amount of traction with , E09 still in the wrapping ....
Attachments
himrhfs.jpg
himrhfs.jpg (150.61 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

1700 miles '67' plate for sale in Grantham for £3500 on Ebay
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

And it's interesting after all the "concern" about the RE engines power and torque the figures are apparently virtually identical to the new much hyped Honda CRF450L :D , although suspect the torque on the RE is at lower revs .........
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 am 1700 miles '67' plate for sale in Grantham for £3500 on Ebay
Or brand new for £500 more 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Jak* wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 pm Hi, I am hoping to have another test ride on a Himalayan this week and I was interested in the views of those who currently own them. What mpg are you getting? How is the finish standing up? What are they like off road, compared to say a CRF or TTR 250? Are then any annoying features that make you regret buying one? Has anyone had or heard of any warranty issues?
Thanks Jak
I'm just back from the Land's End to John o'Groats run riding back roads, about 2500 miles all up, a 600 mile motorway slog yesterday to get home.

I'm very impressed with the bike, especially as a cross country machine. Carries the load well, really nicely tuned suspension - supple but controlled - all day comfortable and a good range of at least 200 miles. The rub is obviously the top speed. On the motorway I was sat at 65mph ish and it seemed happy enough. Didn't use any oil and there was minimal stretch in the chain. I did the run on a VanVan200 last time and the chain on that was shagged by the end of it.

I think quality overall is pretty good on the Enfield. There's no blemishes in the finish as of yet, just a bit of shinyness on the side panels where I've been on the pegs riding off road. The matt finish tank can scuff and dull on your trousers if you're not careful, but I've found it a very competent mule and travel bike. It's also been very capable in the dirt when I've taken it on the trails, crashing well and that long stroke engine just seems to be so well suited to trail riding. Ground clearance is the only limitation.

On the Land's End run I had a good thrash with a CRF250L. I'd say the Honda would just pip it at the top end, certainly at max speed but I had a lot more luggage on and the bike is 40 kilos or so heavier. Both great bikes but to me, when you sit a panniered up Himalayan at £4500 next to a stock CRF250L at £4600 or whatever they list for these days you can't help but see great value in the Enfield.

But I think more importantly than the value is that it's a good bike, fun to ride, competent, versatile, functional, a bit slow, and ultimately it's not going to suit everyone because of that, but to me there's no other manufacturer building anything close to it as an overall package in that price range. Even the centre stand and front racks as standard are brilliant little additions. Just the 3000 mile valve checks which are an annoyance. Mine's due that now and I think if I see no movement then I'll start to stretch them out. Oil changes are every 6000 miles but I'll probably drop them to 3000 miles instead. Won't do it any harm to keep some fresh in it.

I've heard of a few niggles. One chap's rear brake reservoir had to be replaced, another man had some moisture in his lower head bearings that needed clearing out - suspected power wash ingress - but so far so good with the UK bikes. The dealers also seem very keen to create a happy user base as well.

In half jest I've suggested this could be the 'best' travel bike of the last 5 years (in terms of price, capability and function), and if it proves reliable across the year - riding it coast to coast across the US in August - then I think I'd stick with that sentiment. Obviously other adventure machines are available.

Apologies, I didn't address the CCM question. Yeah I guess totally different bikes in a way. CCM a lot lighter, much more dynamically capable in the dirt and faster on the road, but the Himalayan is half the price and hopefully by now has all the niggles ironed out. I'd also argue that it's a more relaxed travel bike and the engine is certainly smoother. Very smooth at 65mph. Himalayan maybe more of a mule and the CCM more of a race horse. Depends what you're after.

Return to “BIKES”