The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
nathanm

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by nathanm »

27544735_785829654957841_6068266895004407834_n.jpg
27544735_785829654957841_6068266895004407834_n.jpg (276.84 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
I've been out on mine today filming a review for Adventure Bike TV.

I took a punt on the bike because I like that for once we have a bike designed for travel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Quality complaints bothered me but when you read into it the BS4 model that we're receiving had a huge list of updates to the BS3 model which was initially launched in India two years ago. By all accounts the BS4 seem pretty much without fault, and bear in mind that most of the bikes are sold and ridden in India where conditions - and rider usage - are harsh.

So posts to links about problems that affected BS3 are to a large extent irrelevant. Problems have been fixed. And I suppose we have to be careful with anything like that not to fall down the rabbit hole of seeing one bike with a problem and suggesting it applies to all. Same happened with the GS1200 and the fork issue. Anyone would think everyone's forks were about to fall off, when in fact a handful did, and often the conditions leading to the collapse were suspect. So a pinch of salt sometimes.

I bought the bike without riding it and I'm relieved to say that I think it's a very good bike. I'm surprised how solid it feels, how well it rides and its general suitability to casual travel. It's lovely and smooth at A road speed and hustles along the lanes quite nicely. It's 190 kilos so it's never going to motocross, but it copes well with the sort of trails most riders are going to take it down.

It's never going to be for everyone. It's got 24.5bhp. Some people lose that from crank to back wheel. But it's a four grand bike, and it's a four grand bike that is far from awful, so against the competition (I know second hand DRZ400 will forever be the answer for some people) I think it stands quite strongly. Early days yet of course. Everything could go to shit next week if my forks fall off and my engine explodes, but I think it's worth a punt.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Interested to see how this goes! It's good a see a simple, cheap(er) bike new on the market and I hope it does well and leads to plenty of aftermarket modification so people can really make the bike how they want it.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Sorry--it just looks wrong and with so little power it will struggle when loaded. Don't get me wrong--I'm a fan of "simple" things--but this has FI etc--I'd sooner buy a well sorted OLD Enfield if I wanted to plod about on the byways--that you COULD fix with a hammer and an adjustable, or a well tried and tested 660 Tenere etc--To be honest its the same money as a Honda CRF250L or a just slightly used Rally--far better and well proven as a "world" bike.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

My take on the comparison between the Enfield and the CRF (Rally or L) is that if you're doing more trails then the Honda makes more sense. But I had the Rally for a while and to me the engine and seating package isn't as suited to the road as the Himalayan, which is what I'm using this bike for. Although indeed, if you want a bike already well proven, factory perfect then again, get the Honda. But out on the Enfield today it feels a much more modern machine than a Bullet and the seating position and 'refinement' is over and above the Honda for road riding (IMO). And it shouldn't struggle when loaded, no more than any other small capacity machine. It has 10 more Nm of torque than the Honda for a start (although does weigh 40 kilos more, granted) and even though I'm still running mine in it has plenty of pull from low down, which you'd expect given the (long stroke) nature of the engine. And FI... they all have it, they have to, and quite honestly, when does it ever go wrong?
big al

Post by big al »

Booked my test ride for Saturday and can't wait to try it out.
Al
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

OK--well rounded response and thanks for that--maybe I'll warm to it-we'll see. I guess as more get out there and get used the feedback will reveal all. There is something satisfying about plodding along in a relaxed manner--I agree on that.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Saw a couple of them again last week at North Cornwall Motorcycles, they look better in the metal but no one could ever claim they're a nice looking bike, but a bit like a Landrover, the look of them seems to suit the bike. Looking forward to trying one out but probably not for me at the moment as my efi Enfield does the Winter back lane blatting thing pretty well and my old KDX suits my (limited) off road excursions but if I ever want a bike combining both then the Himalayan will be on the list
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Thanks Catcitrus. Yeah I think it's definitely a bit of a Marmite bike for sure. I'm open minded with mine. I'm quite fond of the way it rides and I like the underdog status of it. Other than the CRF I'd easily put it above all the other small adventure bikes, including the GS310, so I think for the money it's a solid product. If it proves reliable - or just a bit niggly - then I'll be happy.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I took one out for a test ride today whilst my CCM GP was being serviced. It was interesting riding my bike up there, borrowing another GP from CCM then riding the Himalayan. My GP is the short version and the one they lent me was the high one. The two bikes seem very different, I feel like I sit in mine,rather than on, the high one. Mine is also a lot noisier, although CCM say there is nothing wrong with it.
The Enfield was a similar height to my low version and at 5'8" it was a good height for me. I really liked the riding position, but it is much more a road bike riding position than the CCM. Initially the Enfield felt a bit gutless, but then I guess it would after the CCM. Once I was used to it, the acceleration up to 60 ish was okay. It seemed to run out of steam at about 75. It handled really well on some tight twisty roads, I did not take it off road, but over some potholes the suspension seemed okay, though not in the same league as the CCM.
If you want a bike to commute on, do twisty lanes and the occasional easy green lane it would be great. It is not as dedicated off road bike as the CCM or a CRF, although I sure a competent rider would prove me wrong. Someone used to riding the old British four stroke singles from the fifties would probably think it was amazing.
The quality of finish looked good, but then it should after the 270 or so miles it had done. It did look better than the current wave of Chinese built 250s.
Would I buy one? If I had a desire to but a brand new bike to commute, or could only have one bike and was not in a hurry then I would consider it. Although I could buy a secondhand Enfield 500 efi for about two and a half grand that would do that job just as well.
I think the Himalayan would be a great step up from a 125 and would make an excellent bike for riding schools to use.
Cheers Jak
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I forgot to mention it was Alex French at Bolton Motorcycles who sorted out the test ride for me. Despite having a big glossy showroom full of shines new bikes they came across as a old fashioned dealership who have a genuine love of bikes and an interest in their customers. I think they are part of a bigger chain in the NW and the Himalayan will be moving round the other dealers in the chain.
Cheer Jak

Return to “BIKES”