Building a Honda CRF500L

The Things We Ride
scutty

Re: Building a Honda CRF500L

Post by scutty »

Well, the deadline is almost upon me, I leave for the Pyrenees on Saturday and still no bash plate (yikes). It 'should' be ready tonight and the brackets are all in place. I have had to postpone the planned titanium one as I have just run out of time. I did get some new rubber fitted along with rim locks and HD tubes.

I couldn't resist a ride to work today :)

20170608_102813.jpg
20170608_102813.jpg (85.88 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

That looks excellent. You should tip Mr honda about this thread. (thumbs)
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I'd be interested to know what the total cost came too Scutty?
Between you and Minky there could be a Honda based production line going, for Bikes that are the finished article, what people need instead of commercial tat ! (thumbs)
Excellent (thumbs)
Sarge
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

does look great ..whats your luggage solutions scutty
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

It looks brilliant Andy, I hope you have a great trip to the Pyrenees, it will be an interesting comparison with your 690.
one-legged adventurer
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

amazing looking piece of kit (thumbs) gis it :laugh:
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Fantastic build, enjoy (thumbs)
scutty

Post by scutty »

minkyhead wrote:does look great ..whats your luggage solutions scutty
Steve
I have GL Mojave for long day rides and AltRider Hemisphere for longer. They both for great and steel frame so pretty strong as you know

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
scutty

Post by scutty »

The Sarge wrote:I'd be interested to know what the total cost came too Scutty?

Between you and Minky there could be a Honda based production line going, for Bikes that are the finished article, what people need instead of commercial tat ! (thumbs)

Excellent (thumbs)

Sarge
Ah um plenty. I have it all documented but too scared to look at the total!
Seriously though, I think I could do it second time for around 3k excluding bike, roughly. That's without charging for my time. I have made a lot of mistakes and changes with this one that have really cost but hey, you learn from mistakes. If i could weld it would be a f*ck lot cheaper!
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

I was fortunate enough to get up close and personal with Scutty’s CRF500L at the weekend. I’ve been salivating over these bikes since I saw Michael Kozera’s build thread last year. Well, I can honestly say that the bike looks amazing. It's so well built, there’s nothing that has a special’s compromise about it (no evidence of bodgergy!). The whole bike looks ‘factory’. Everything fits perfectly. It oozes quality with all of the top spec components used. Great touches, like the mirrors that fold back into the hand guards (I'm always impressed by the little details!). The holder for the digital dash is a thing of beauty.
Scutty kindly let me take it for a short spin up the road, he was pressed for time so I kept it very brief. I was a little bit apprehensive, seeing as he’s off to spain in a couple of days. As expected, it rode brilliantly, so smooth. Lovely balance etc, felt great, nice and light. Just the right height for me too:) The bike sounds good with that little end can. Not too noisy, but a nice bark to it. With the 12 litre tank, I guess you could get around 200 miles out of a tank. Ideal for the ride to the trails.
This could be the replacement for my trusty old Africa Twin, you meet the nicest people on a Honda;)
It's the bike that fills the annoying void that none of the manufacturers have addressed. Looking forward to the off road reports.
Have a good trip.

Return to “BIKES”