A tenere for short people

The Things We Ride
AlanHolt

A tenere for short people

Post by AlanHolt »

Whilst discussing bikes with my (vertically challenged - 5'1") girlfriend, she mentioned how she almost bought a Yamaha MT-03. Having looked at one today, with a set of dual-sport tyres, they would essentially be a Tenere for short people. They almost look like a shrunk in the wash version as they are. They have the same 660cc engine, but with just a 805mm seat height. All the need is a bash plate and some decent tyres. I think we'll try this when we sell the TW200, as my girlfriends biggest complaint about that is that it's too slow and underpowered.
324907165_7f6e2d50b4.jpg
324907165_7f6e2d50b4.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Trev

Re: A tenere for short people

Post by Trev »

Not sure about it's off road capabilities but I owned a MT-03 for five years and loved it, absolute hoot around the back roads and did quite a few longer trips including Cornwall, Scotland and France. Bit cramped for me (6ft tall) and luggage and seat an instrument of torture after a few hours but game little thing and sounded great with Leo Vince end cans.
Only sold it last year as too many bikes and had MOT's 2 years in a row and only totaled 120 miles, have first dibs though when if the seller wants to get rid as liked it so much (thumbs)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Alf England lent me one for the day when the S10 was being serviced, cracking little bike, bit windy and vibey at 70mph but then I had just got off an S10 :laugh:
First roundabout I heaved it over (like S10) and knocked my right foot off footrest :blink: note to self it`s quite light :laugh:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I wasn't expecting it to be anything like an EXC off road, but for dirt tracks and forest roads, I think it would be perfect, plus not too slow on the tarmac.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

AlanHolt wrote:I wasn't expecting it to be anything like an EXC off road, but for dirt tracks and forest roads, I think it would be perfect, plus not too slow on the tarmac.
(thumbs)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Looks like a really good idea Alan. Have you thought about the 'little' Kawasaki Versys - I'm met a few guys who use them for our sorts of conditions and you have 'smoother' road bike. Always good to have a comparison.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Seat height is the most important factor. Her Cagiva Raptor 1000 has been lowered to give a seat height of 740mm so she can touch the floor with both feet (that seems to be a woman thing). The stock MT-03 at 805mm was softer and had a slightly narrower seat, plus the bike felt lighter, so she felt fine perched on it.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:Seat height is the most important factor. Her Cagiva Raptor 1000 has been lowered to give a seat height of 740mm so she can touch the floor with both feet (that seems to be a woman thing). ....
Possibly a kick-back from the Hays Code Alan, although contrary to urban myth it seems that in kissing scenes the protagonists don't have to have at least one foot on the ground - article 25 of the 1927 draft, "Excessive or lustful kissing, particularly when one character or the other is a "heavy" :whistle:

But in general a lady with both feet firmly planted on the ground is a marvellous virtue - imagine some of the air-brained girls you could have brought to Spain with you (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The alternative...
IMG-20170320-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20170320-WA0011.jpg (62.1 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Size of the front wheel could be interesting on occasions, but so long as she takes it slow.....
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “BIKES”