KTM Freeride 350

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Re: KTM Freeride 350

Post by SteveW »

May be the Freeride is a bit of a starter bike.
Bought by people who are curious about off-road, but are intimidated by some of the livelier bikes out there.
Then as confidence grows, they progress onto something more challenging, or find out that off-Tarmac riding isn't for them. For either reason people get shut of them pretty soon after buying? Just a thought.
I agree, I think the Freeride is a great concept.
I'd think the limited tank range could be a problem, but I'd love a go on one all the same.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Steve they are not for people of our god-like stature!
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

in concept a good bike , parts bin special but just the wrong parts . forks brakes and electrics are just bad. was talking to a dealer the other day, he said it was the bike ktm should have never made. but it kept the workshop busy!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

halfpint wrote:in concept a good bike , parts bin special but just the wrong parts . forks brakes and electrics are just bad. was talking to a dealer the other day, he said it was the bike ktm should have never made. but it kept the workshop busy!
Having ridden with a few, I wouldn't have one given
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
KN0BBY

Post by KN0BBY »

So where are all the cheap ones?
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

Beepee wrote:Collecting a new Freeride on Saturday from Triple D.
Spent years on various sportsbikes then had quads for years trail riding and exploring our great hills and mountains?

Back to road riding and bought a Ducati Monster 1100s then a new KTM 990 Adventure in 2014. The 990 won't be ever leaving me.

Dabbled a bit with trials bikes but got bored with them and preffered the trail riding.

Who has a Freeride and what's your experience with it.

Some of my friends were trying to get me to buy an EXC but I didn't want anything as extreme ? Maybe I'll get bored with the Freeride and trade it for an enduro.
. My missus had one for about 18 mths, no probs at all in fact it rode itself at times :) , just a bit lacking in fuel capacity, was quite a trick bike hope you enjoy it
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

It's brand new. Hope you're right :woohoo:
ScottHeyden wrote:How old is it? You have to throw a lot of money at them when they hit 4 year old. My dad's has been nothing but bother for the last year, 3 or 4 others in out TRF group that are playing up in one way or another. Hope you have better luck.
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

The starting issues were with the 250 2 stroke, I've bought the 350 4 stroke
The Sarge wrote:There has been a lot of discussion about the Freeride on a variety of forums, look up the TRF or KTM forum, most of what you want to know is well covered there. If you really want a 'warts an all ' view go on YouTube and look up 'living the dream' he has made around 4-5 animated videos that cover all of the issues with starting !!!!!!!

Good luck :pinch:
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

Well that's a mixed review !
Anyway, looks great, goes like I thought it would and as I'm 50 on Monday it was an early present from me to me ! I didn't want a screamer of a 300 six days or pay the price of a 350 six days for that matter. More bike than my talents could put to use. The Freeride, well it has done what I expected so far and more, my mate on his Beta Evo was well impressed where it went right out of the box. I was actually chasing him on !
I looked at all of the options, don't want an 80's dinosaur, didn't want a 2 stroke, don't want an offroader that has been chucked down an ash bing 12 or 46 times ! The list goes on, trust me I even nearly bought a Repsol Montesa and the seat kit but thought the KTM was better value for money (cheaper) and came fully road legal for those wee trips pottering about on one of our lovely islands if I fancied it.
thanks for all the info though guys.
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

Understandable as an opinion but please explain the acceptance of a quirky gearbox on a BMW boxer engine,
Approx 2 mins before you can engage 1st gear and even then it sounds like someone has just belted the crank with a Thorntons toffee hammer ! (thumbs) :laugh:
johnnyboxer wrote:
halfpint wrote:in concept a good bike , parts bin special but just the wrong parts . forks brakes and electrics are just bad. was talking to a dealer the other day, he said it was the bike ktm should have never made. but it kept the workshop busy!
Having ridden with a few, I wouldn't have one given

Return to “BIKES”