Buying a bike from Isle of Man

The Things We Ride
Dave DRZ

Buying a bike from Isle of Man

Post by Dave DRZ »

I've seen a bike I fancy, trouble is that it is registered in IoM and has IOM plates.
Has anyone ever bought similar, what (if anything) needs to be done to register it with DVLA and get tax and insurance sorted?
Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
The Sarge

Re: Buying a bike from Isle of Man

Post by The Sarge »

Dave,
I bought a bike back from Northern Ireland, I registered it with the DVLA using the NI V5 with no problem, not sure about IOM but doubt it would be any different ?? :whistle:
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

No restrictions between Great Britain and Northern Island as both are in the UK

The Isle of Man however is not (Legally it's a self governing crown protectorate and not part of the UK)

So it's no different from importing a vehicle from any other "foreign" country ;)

This is due to the IoM (and the Channel Islands) having different revenue systems i.e. import duty and VAT will need sorting.

All the forms you are likely to need are here https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

The Sarge wrote:Dave,
I bought a bike back from Northern Ireland, I registered it with the DVLA using the NI V5 with no problem, not sure about IOM but doubt it would be any different ?? :whistle:
You can even retain the northern Ireland registration number (usually 3 letters 4 digits) on the mainland, or ask for a free age related number transfer.
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

PLEASE NOTE N.IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK SO IT'S THE SAME AS THE MAINLAND sorry to shout but this pisses me off
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

SPEN wrote:PLEASE NOTE N.IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK SO IT'S THE SAME AS THE MAINLAND sorry to shout but this pisses me off
I know I wasted a good portion of my life fecking defending it for you, so calm down ffs !

To be clear the documents I had with my purchase (V5) were not DVLA issue, they came from Licensing Auntority Coleraine and I had to wait while DVLA Swansea cleared the transfer of ownership with Coleraine. There was also the issue of Vehicle Tax which was still transferable then, the tax disc was different as was an MOT disc that was displayed on the bike, which had to be changed, so not the same as the mainland at all.

I did retain the NI plate which ended 007 !
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

The Sarge wrote:
SPEN wrote:PLEASE NOTE N.IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK SO IT'S THE SAME AS THE MAINLAND sorry to shout but this pisses me off
I know I wasted a good portion of my life fecking defending it for you, so calm down ffs !

To be clear the documents I had with my purchase (V5) were not DVLA issue, they came from Licensing Auntority Coleraine and I had to wait while DVLA Swansea cleared the transfer of ownership with Coleraine. There was also the issue of Vehicle Tax which was still transferable then, the tax disc was different as was an MOT disc that was displayed on the bike, which had to be changed, so not the same as the mainland at all.

I did retain the NI plate which ended 007 !
I think now though every thing is the same. The dva has all be centralised and there are no longer any tax discs or not discs. So the moral of the story. Off topic so sorry as none of this helps you with the Isle of Man issues.

Just come over here have a good look about and enjoy the scenery.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Peter78

Post by Peter78 »

There is no import duty or additional VAT payments from the IOM.

My understanding is it is more or less a paper exercise. Take a look here http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1234493
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Spoke to the owner yesterday when I went to see the bike. He has been inundated with 'scallies' asking about the bike - offering well under the asking price, not really interested in the condition of the bike, they just want it because of the IoM reg plate - they aren't recognised by the Police number plate recognition cameras. So speed away, no problem. Mess about on wasteground, no problem. i guess if the bike is involved in something serious the police will look it up with IoM police, but for minor stuff it isn't worth the paperwork... even more interested in the bike now (thumbs)

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

I have an as new NX650 I.O.M. registered. Got it registered 2 weeks ago.Although I didn't do it personally, it was straight forward. Get an MOT on the chassis number, insure it, send a V55 form to dvlc with £100.10p to cover reg and tax. New log book and registration number came back within days. :) Another Dommie hits the road ! (thumbs)

Return to “BIKES”