Your most disappointing bikes.

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Your most disappointing bikes.

Post by SteveW »

Two bikes I've owned stand out for me as disappointing.
KTM 990 adv.
I may be being a wee bit harsh on this bike, but overall I was disappointed. I was never that enthralled with the bike's looks, but look's have never really been a major factor for me.
I only really used it as a Tarmac tourer, I did 9000 miles on it, with one 4500 mile tour of Eastern Europe that had a bit of gravel and dirt thrown in.
It never let me down......but I felt it was inferior to the GS1200 I'd traded in to buy it.
It lacked the GS's comfort, economy, Torque and poise.
Kawasaki GTR1400.
How can you make a 140 BHP motorcycle that feels gutless?
A ZZR 1400 retuned for Torque? No, it's a castrated ZZR that needs spinning up to make it go.
Disappointing and boring.
Brenhden

Re: Your most disappointing bikes.

Post by Brenhden »

I must say my current bike is the most dissapointing, my DR650. On paper its the best bike in the world but the one I happen to buy has had so much go wrong with it thanks to the previous owner. It's sorted now but its been a long and painful road to get it here.

My KLX250 wasn't quite what expected when I got it and on the road although off road it was great.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Ducati Multistrada DS1000 thing. 'Kin awful in every way.
herman

Post by herman »

Triumph trident 900. Bought into the revival but it and Triumph were shite. The thing ate sprag clutches and was a soggy jelly by 10k
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

For me, CCM GP450 the bike that should have been but never was, my 990 Adv was close second, both suffering from shite fueling issues !! :whistle:

Sarge
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

In terms of reliability my CCM ( see back to the factory again). Most boring definitely 400 Superdream, so dull I sold it within a week. In terms of finish BMW GS650, you could almost see the paint falling off of it. Most uninspiring, an early EVO Harley sportster, it was similar to an XS650 in terms of handling and performance but the air filter vibrated against my leg the whole time. Luckily I was borrowing it so I could give it back. The bike I test rode and never bought, Hinckley Bonneville, compared to late seventies and early eighties Triumphs, too heavy, too dull to ride, too bland looking and a hideously uncomfortable seat.
Cheers Jak
leathers999

Post by leathers999 »

Benelli 900sei
boatman

Post by boatman »

I bought a Honda CBF 1000, Technically good machine with a tuned for mid range fire blade motor ,
Soulless boring uninvolving thing , traded it back to Dobble for another Varadero (thumbs)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

boatman wrote:I bought a Honda CBF 1000, Technically good machine with a tuned for mid range fire blade motor ,
Soulless boring uninvolving thing , traded it back to Dobble for another Varadero (thumbs)
I agree Honda cocked that one up.
A stand-out excellent bike for me is a Fazer 1000, Yamaha showed that you can re-tune a sports bike engine, but still made it an exciting and rewarding power plant.
petecam

Post by petecam »

1) BMW G450X. Terrible handling bike due to the backwards spinning engine. Crap forks. Snatchy engine which dropped a valve after about 1500 miles. (I see CCM owners are still having issues with this lump!).

It ate fork seals, wheel bearings and chain/sprockets.

I sold it after it spat me off and I broke a collar bone. Went back to KTM !

It did look nice though:)

2) 2005 Yamaha R6. Flywheel fell off a fews days after I bought it (New) engine was all revs and noise but no usable power apart from right at the top of the rev range. Very quickly PXed it for a Daytona 675 :)

3) Aprilla Dorsoduro 750. Heavy, underpowered, terrible tank range.

It did look nice though

Return to β€œBIKES”