Your most disappointing bikes.

The Things We Ride
Monster

Re: Your most disappointing bikes.

Post by Monster »

For me the GS is a fat turd off-road pretender but ... perspective again

I do have a right to be wrong in your eyes remember

Perhaps if you want the adventure look and style in a 2-up road tourer ...
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I was in a KTM dealer this morning.
I was looking around the new KTM 1090 adv. I have to say I was disappointed with how it looked.
I was offered a test ride, but I just didn't fancy one.
Bland.
noodles

Post by noodles »

My most disppointing bike was wayyyyy back in the late early 80's I think it was ... bought a brand new Honda CX 500 and picked it up on a Saturday morning and on the Saturday night I was having a ride around and stopped at the same dealers to see a huge poster offering the Suzuki GTX 1100 (rectangular headlight) for only £100 more than the CX Pig! :angry: ... every time I rode it after that I hated it :whistle:
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

boboneleg wrote:This is going to upset JB (and a few others) but it was a GS1150. Bloated overweight barge, I bought it to see what all the fuss was about and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

I went out and bought another KTM950ADV to regain my edge and the reason for riding bikes.

We're all different and we all like different bikes otherwise the world would be very boring.
Never liked the 1150GS that I had for three years. Agree re it being bloated and overweight but I thought it was uncomfortable too, although couldn't really pin down why. The OE suspension was really crap but for me the biggest issue was the engine which was trying to be refined but was, in fact, just as agricultural as the airhead engine - at least the airhead doesn't try to pretend!

I wasn't going to join in with this thread because as bob says everyone's different and I wouldn't like my slagging of a particular bike to influence anyone elses choice.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Most disappointing was a new type Bonneville, mainly because it failed to live up to the way it looked.
Great at a 100 yards, but fake and plasticy close up

A Beta 270 next, because the horrible, vicious overpowered thing doubled my admittedly mediocre trials scores until I went back to a tamer 250

Currently competing for a place here is a new MT 09, but can't quite put a finger on how I enjoyed the test ride enough to buy one, yet don't enjoy it enough to be bothered to ride it now I've got it!!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

ggp59 wrote:Most disappointing was a new type Bonneville, mainly because it failed to live up to the way it looked.

A Beta 270 next, because the horrible, vicious overpowered thing doubled my admittedly mediocre trials scores until I went back to a tamer 250

Currently competing for a place here is a new MT 09, but can't quite put a finger on how I enjoyed the test ride enough to buy one, yet don't enjoy it enough to be bothered to ride it now I've got it!!
MT09....stunning engine, rubbish, harsh suspension. Disappointing because it could be a great fun bike.
IainD

Post by IainD »

That would be the G650GS - AKA - ALOS.

Never have I had so many problems in such a short space of time.

False Neutrals - 1, 2, 3, redline....Merde, 4...
Rusting Footpeg brackets.
Would't start when hot - go for a coffee and hey presto...starts...
Rear damper gave up, boing, boing.....
Funny shadow on clocks display (LCD).

Rejected it and dealer sorted me an F650gs Instead. that was nice bike.
dave h

Post by dave h »

SteveW wrote:
ggp59 wrote:Most disappointing was a new type Bonneville, mainly because it failed to live up to the way it looked.

MT09....stunning engine, rubbish, harsh suspension. Disappointing because it could be a great fun bike.
a mate of mine rides his how he bought it out of the showroom [says theres nowt wrong with the suspention]from where im sat it looks like it already is a great fun bike.

ps steve ,
i think you missed a trick not taking the 1090 out you might have liked it ,i love my 1050 [1090 has 31 more hp with no weight gain]

dave.
GB

Post by GB »

F800 GS, sorry but not for me
Finally back on a GS :D
sven

Post by sven »

SteveW wrote:The first VFR 800 V-tec.
I bought a black one because it was beautiful.
The 750 was great, so why bother with a test ride, just look at it, it's fantastic.....I thought!
Gutless, then it went manic for 3000rpm, then just died.
Horrible to ride.
It was The Honda Corporation being pointlessly complicated, just because they can.
I can relate to that (thumbs) I loved my VFR800FIY and its usable mid-range power, swapped it for a new VTEC in 2003 and hated it. They'd completely ruined the midrange power with that horrible VTEC lurch :( I kept is for 6 months and 5991 miles before eventually buying my old VFR back.

Mind you, it wasn't as disappointing as the horrible R850R I bought in 1999 to slow myself down. I nearly died of boredom and received my one and only speeding ticket :blink:

Return to “BIKES”