Your most disappointing bikes.

The Things We Ride
sven

Re: Your most disappointing bikes.

Post by sven »

Monster wrote:For me the GS is a fat turd off-road pretender but ... perspective again

I do have a right to be wrong in your eyes remember

Perhaps if you want the adventure look and style in a 2-up road tourer ...
That's exactly why I like my GS LC (thumbs) It's not quite as good at 2-up touring as my old R1200RT, but I much prefer the styling and it's a great quick roadbike on all roads B)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

buel xbs, ate its way through 4 rear wheel bearings in 2.5k miles, dealer ship where not to bothered, just gave me free wheel bearings when i went in.

guys at trojan horse supplied me with a variable tension pulley as against the fixed one problem done

next up harley sportster custom,its reliable but, in the first week, seat fell off, bars cam loose, headlight fell out but never let me down a bit of a weird one that.

steve

steve
gspod

Post by gspod »

Yes, it's all about perception.

I've never owned or even ridden a disappointing bike. I have, however, had 3 cars, over the last 36 years, for the odd year or 2 and they were all disappointing - I shan't be buying one of them again ;)
pegasso650

Post by pegasso650 »

04 R1200GS cost me a fortune in repairs. But loved the comfort and performance. Got an R80G/S now dead reliable if a little agricultural.
spasm

Post by spasm »

is there anyone thats disappointed with the 1200 super tenere then, i cant see any yet..yet it seems to be for whatever reason undesirable. fuck ride reviews, ive dont 55k on mine and shes amazing, great bike under rated.....FOR WHATEVER REASON. B)
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
IainD

Post by IainD »

sven wrote:
SteveW wrote:The first VFR 800 V-tec.
I bought a black one because it was beautiful.
The 750 was great, so why bother with a test ride, just look at it, it's fantastic.....I thought!
Gutless, then it went manic for 3000rpm, then just died.
Horrible to ride.
It was The Honda Corporation being pointlessly complicated, just because they can.
I can relate to that (thumbs) I loved my VFR800FIY and its usable mid-range power, swapped it for a new VTEC in 2003 and hated it. They'd completely ruined the midrange power with that horrible VTEC lurch :( I kept is for 6 months and 5991 miles before eventually buying my old VFR back.

Mind you, it wasn't as disappointing as the horrible R850R I bought in 1999 to slow myself down. I nearly died of boredom and received my one and only speeding ticket :blink:
You should take the new (from 2014) one for a spin, the Vtec is smoothed out nicely
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

IainD wrote:
sven wrote:
The 750 was great, so why bother with a test ride, just look at it, it's fantastic.....I thought!
Horrible to ride.
It was The Honda Corporation being pointlessly complicated, just because they can.
I can relate to that (thumbs) I loved my VFR800FIY and its usable mid-range power, swapped it for a new VTEC in 2003 and hated it. They'd completely ruined the midrange power with that horrible VTEC lurch :( I kept is for 6 months and 5991 miles before eventually buying my old VFR back.

Mind you, it wasn't as disappointing as the horrible R850R I bought in 1999 to slow myself down. I nearly died of boredom and received my one and only speeding ticket :blink:
You should take the new (from 2014) one for a spin, the Vtec is smoothed out nicely
Yep, I know the later VTEC bikes are much better, that's why I specifically mentioned the early one.
Regarding the MT09, I had an early one of those.....great engine, but atrocious suspension. I know later ones are better.
The KLX 250, another disappointing bike, looks like a pukka enduro, goes like a Chinese 125.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

gspod wrote:Yes, it's all about perception.

I've never owned or even ridden a disappointing bike. I have, however, had 3 cars, over the last 36 years, for the odd year or 2 and they were all disappointing - I shan't be buying one of them again ;)
The bikes I've had that were 'disappointing ' were bikes that just didn't live up to my own expectations - weather I was blinded by hype or simply because i made poor choices and the bikes then fell well below what I'd hoped for

If the question was 'what we're the most rubbish bikes you ever owned ' my list would have included.....
A GasGas Pampera that found a different way to break every time I rode it. Even the petrol tap broke in half when I turned it on one day!
A GP 100 that looked as crap as it rode, and was as unreliable as the Pampera - almost!

I just can't see how anyone could have enjoyed either of those two heaps, however a committed motorcyclist you were!!

But have owned stuff I've got on great with that I didn't expect to - an MZ 250 springs to mind here!

As said maybe as said it's all about perception (thumbs)
oldoak

Post by oldoak »

Just brilliant on a thread like this and nobody has mentioned the bike you ride when you were expecting it in the first few posts! Go my bike (Breakdown Betty)!
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

SteveW wrote:
IainD wrote:
sven wrote:
Horrible to ride.

Yep, I know the later VTEC bikes are much better, that's why I specifically mentioned the early one.
Regarding the MT09, I had an early one of those.....great engine, but atrocious suspension. I know later ones are better.
The KLX 250, another disappointing bike, looks like a pukka enduro, goes like a Chinese 125.

You do know there's a restrictor plug under the clutch lever on the KLX, don't you?

Return to “BIKES”