Roomiest adventure bike

The Things We Ride
SteveR

Roomiest adventure bike

Post by SteveR »

At the risk of boring any of the refugee xrv crowd I wanted to ask a question in a wider forum :)

I am struggling with a wonky left knee which has meant I cannot ride my Transalp any great length of time before having a real problem with the knee swelling up etc etc. I already run with an Airhawk and handlebar raisers to give a bit more room, but I still have to bend the knee beyond 90 degrees. At the mement I am riding a 600 maxi scoot which is surprisingly good as a tourer, but will not take me off road as well!

Just wondered what thoughts anyone here has had with the various machine about? I need a position that keeps my feet forward of my bum, not tucked behind as on most bikes. I don't mind a spot of engineering of tweaks if necessary, eg altered pegs etc I have looked at the 'alp, but am not sure that there is enough room for a peg hack, though I have found some that may adapt. That and a seat cushion lift might have done the trick, but I would never touch the ground!! :)
placky2

Re: Roomiest adventure bike

Post by placky2 »

Hi,i had the same prob with a 1100 pan euro that i stuck with for 3yrs.i got rid a mth ago for a vf1000 from 1986 and im enjoying riding again!
have you looked at a varadero? had one a few yrs ago and found it the most comfy bike ive ever had.regret selling it and will be getting another asap! ther big but comfy,fast and handle superbly.im 6ft and had no probs with the seating position at all.i borrowed a mates gs1150 for a couple o mths and hated it,felt cramped to me.all i can say is get to a few bike shops and just try as many as you can and take your time choosing.good luck mate.
bosses are like nappys,always hanging round ya arse and full of shit.

life is like a shit sandwich,the more bread you have the less shit you eat.

never get into owt you cant get out of.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

If your knee could handle the weight then look at the Vara.

I've had mine since April and although it's my first ADV bike I love it and it is comfy beyond belief.
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
Ted99uk

Post by Ted99uk »

How tall are you?
Have you got long legs?
I would think with a wonky knee (which I am now getting) a light weight would be better and the VARA is pretty heavy.
That's why I have gone for a Versys. I am 6ft 4 and I have raised the seat 3 inches and completely changed the shape. It fits me incredibly well and is all-day comfortable but my foot is not forward of my knee. The high seat makes the knee angle "just OK for me", at present at any rate.
I might have to look at moving the peg if a problem develops if my knee gets worse.

Ted.
lmg

Post by lmg »

6'3" and a big lad - loads of room on the Varadero - more comfortable than my Triumph Rocket 3s.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

stanbloke

Post by stanbloke »

Steve,

That sounds like a cartelidge problem mate. ?.I had the same problem with mine, kept on swelling up when held at an angle for any length of time. Had an op, then lots of bending / stretching exercises and its fine now.

I'd sort your knee out first before buying another bike (its cheaper :whistle: ).

Good luck fella.:)
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

I'd go with what everyone else is saying try a varadero.

I have had one for 3 years really great bike and very comfy but it is a bit heavy so expect and plan for the odd drop
Selous

Post by Selous »

Hi as this is not a medical forum, and 'wonkey' knee can/could mean anything, if it is just age related, :whistle: or blunt trauma injury.

Then may be besides the usual Movelat gel, or deep heat, lotions potions, it could be indeed a cartladge or Synoval fluid problem.

You have not mentioned whether or not you have used any form of support for your knee when riding or generally on day to day use.

I have a missing part to my knee, so I understand in part.
My leathers are tailored to be slightly tighter round the left knee, & a bit of extra padding, that helps a bit.
I personalty don't strap the knee up as I know what the problem is.

If all of the above, then I would suggest you just go look at a number bikes that are 'sit up and beg' style, I think the only problem with that is most of that style are slightly older models, as modern models have the rider slightly leaning forward, as you have said you don't mind doing a 'bit of fabrication' on the pegs, have you looked at the just moving the pegs forward?, if a crash bar is in place might be able to use that as a contact point for the peg to go on?

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
markvb

Post by markvb »

Selous wrote: I would suggest you just go look at a number bikes that are 'sit up and beg' style
That's gotta be the most sensible answer - what is a great bike to one may not be so to another; so try various until one feels right. The term 'adventure' bike is in a way unfortunate since many seem to confuse it with what were once termed 'Big trailies'; an adventure can be had on any bike you want.
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

This thread might help you compare bikes http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... bsite.html. Obviously, there's no substitute for sitting on a bike, but it's worth a go.

Companies like Wunderlich and Touratech sell peg lowering kits which may help you out (but if you can engineer your own, then all the better). You could also consider getting a taller seat and a suspension lowering kit so that you can still get your feet down, or any combination of the above.

Return to “BIKES”