My thoughts on the BMW 1200GS

The Things We Ride
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I had a rideout with a friend who owns a 1200GS Adventure today. I was on my ZX10R as i'm still waiting for parts for my XT600. First of all, its huge. And this was the factory lowered version. I'm 6'2", 17st, and the GS is enormous. BMW seem to have performed the same optical illusion that they did with the Mini, it looks small, but its actually huge. Its too big. I didn't even want to throw my leg over it, I think it would be the same as climbing on my 1967 Massey Ferguson tractor. In the same way the Honda Goldwing was nicknamed the 'armchair', the GS is basically an armchair (or Goldwing) with adventure tyres. My friend rides all over Europe, does 5 or 6 two week trips, so I can understand the need for comfort, and extras like cruise control will make his upcoming 1600km trip a bit less tiring, but with the hard luggage, it becomes less practical than a car. Its heavy too, with all the luggage and extras, it weighs as much as my ZX10R with my XT600E on the pillion seat. Its probably as wide as that combination too. Its that wide, he couldn't travel along the tyre tracks on the track to our farmhouse, he had to ride in the middle (the bushes either side are exactly a car width apart). In terms of performance, the two bikes are miles apart, but the GS would gear down to overtake and the 10r stayed in 6th gear with just a slight twist of the wrist, and a fraction of a second later, i had to shut off the throttle. And it has worse fuel consumption than the ZX10R. But they handle OK, at the end of the ride, I felt like i'd been riding a bucking bronco for 4 hours and my friend was a fresh as a daisy. They look the part though. Even popping to the supermarket, they make you look as though you're getting milk after returning from Cape Town. Would I have one? No. Why? The price of one of these, fully loaded with extras will cost more than I would spend on 2nd hand bikes over the next 20 years, and I guarantee the other bikes will go everywhere the GS can go, cause me less worry and give me more smiles.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Flintlock

Re: My thoughts on the BMW 1200GS

Post by Flintlock »

Fair enough - each to their own - you should have taken it for a spin - you might have been pleasently surprised

I love mine (thumbs)
geoham

Post by geoham »

Flintlock wrote:Fair enough - each to their own - you should have taken it for a spin - you might have been pleasently surprised

I love mine (thumbs)
I have had mine now for nearly 5 years and like Flintlock I love it.

It has taken the wife and I 2 up all over Europe many times in complete comfort and getting between 250 and 300 miles on a tank of petrol!

I think anyone me included would find the GS a totally different animal to ride compared to the likes of the ZX10R not that I have ever rode a ZX10R as sports bike do nothing for me (thumbs)

Horses for courses and all that
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I suppose I was shocked at the sheer size of them. In the UK, theres huge segregation amongst bikers, as a sportsbike rider, you're somewhat outcast by all other groups so you only get to mix with and see other sports bikes. My first knowledge of one was on Long Way Round, and even though they struggled with the size of them, it never occurred to me it may be the bikes that are big and not that the riders were small. It wasn't until it was parked next to mine that it became so apparent how big they are. I'm not disputing they have their place, but I can't help feeling they are not the best option out there given their size and weight. Perhaps the reason people buy them is more about comfort and touring than their multi-terrain ability, neither of which I have experienced. You can tell I haven't been in a multi-franchise dealer since Carnell's closed its doors.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

what a good further explanation..there is no need for an in fight.
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

I seen this on facebook today. Seems somewhat appropriate...

Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Heff

Post by Heff »

As Flintlock said - maybe you have taken it for a ride - then you will understand. :woohoo:

I am a convert. Admittedly, I was very reluctant, having only ridden Japanese since I was 16, I had a CBR 1000 before being given the opportunity to ride an 1100GS for a week to decide if I wanted to buy it from a mate. At first, my thoughts were exactly as you describe, too big, too heavy, too agricultural etc. But after a a few days, I realised what fun it was and what I had been missing all these years. I have owned this very bike for nearly 10 years now, and never regretted it.

Just last week, I bought a 1200 Adventure :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

A GS, in the right hands will 'Outshine' many a sports bike in every way on the road. I also doubt that a sports bike would go be able to cope on some of the places I've had mine (thumbs)

Horses for courses I guess :whistle:
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

You need to ride one to understand what its all about really and of course its personal taste. I do alot of camping and travel and started off with a 650 Funduro then tried many other bikes and ended up with a GS 1100 which was a great bike. Tried some more bikes for a while and gone back to the GS having bought a 1200 ADV,

Instantly it feels perfect for my needs and does the job it designed for. I think it takes a while to get used to a GS but use one on a trip and you can see why they are so popular. (thumbs)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

AlanHolt wrote:I had a rideout with a friend who owns a 1200GS Adventure today. I was on my ZX10R as i'm still waiting for parts for my XT600. First of all, its huge. And this was the factory lowered version. I'm 6'2", 17st, and the GS is enormous. BMW seem to have performed the same optical illusion that they did with the Mini, it looks small, but its actually huge. Its too big. I didn't even want to throw my leg over it, I think it would be the same as climbing on my 1967 Massey Ferguson tractor. In the same way the Honda Goldwing was nicknamed the 'armchair', the GS is basically an armchair (or Goldwing) with adventure tyres. My friend rides all over Europe, does 5 or 6 two week trips, so I can understand the need for comfort, and extras like cruise control will make his upcoming 1600km trip a bit less tiring, but with the hard luggage, it becomes less practical than a car. Its heavy too, with all the luggage and extras, it weighs as much as my ZX10R with my XT600E on the pillion seat. Its probably as wide as that combination too. Its that wide, he couldn't travel along the tyre tracks on the track to our farmhouse, he had to ride in the middle (the bushes either side are exactly a car width apart). In terms of performance, the two bikes are miles apart, but the GS would gear down to overtake and the 10r stayed in 6th gear with just a slight twist of the wrist, and a fraction of a second later, i had to shut off the throttle. And it has worse fuel consumption than the ZX10R. But they handle OK, at the end of the ride, I felt like i'd been riding a bucking bronco for 4 hours and my friend was a fresh as a daisy. They look the part though. Even popping to the supermarket, they make you look as though you're getting milk after returning from Cape Town. Would I have one? No. Why? The price of one of these, fully loaded with extras will cost more than I would spend on 2nd hand bikes over the next 20 years, and I guarantee the other bikes will go everywhere the GS can go, cause me less worry and give me more smiles.
Another preconceived GS hater

Stick with your 'better' bikes, your prejudice stands out a mile
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Ive ridden several BMW GS bikes though ive never owned one i do like the look. I have owned several big adventure bike and ive come to the conclusion that they have just become to large and heavy with so many gadgets. My last bike had cruise control which i never once actually used in anger as i try to avoid the kind of roads it was designed for like the plague. I dont ride off road but i will take a forest track when opportunity arises and love the single lane roads in the Highlands and Islands. Iam no expert but ive watched guys on the simple tracks tip toeing around in a funk for fear of dropping these behemouths even in a stationary drop with there sheer weight your lucky to not crack or bend something. Add camping gear and you,d be lucky to lift it back up if your solo which is how i do most of my riding. That apart they are fit for purpose which is long distance touring bikes and i cant say i will never own another but i am in the market for something simpler and lighter at the moment. I dont see the point in posting pics of some off road God throwing these machines at the scenery as from my experience of their riders in ABR myself included 90% of these riders dont have the skill set to even come close to it on these machines, probably the same number never leave the tarmac if their honest with themselves.

Return to “BIKES”