crf1000 africa twins second hand

The Things We Ride
motorbike

crf1000 africa twins second hand

Post by motorbike »

i am seeing a hell of a lot of africa twins on sale in e bay at very low mileage ..all from dealers ...which would lead me to believe people have bought into the dream were dissapointed then changed to something else or back to a type of bike they were used to...or is it that just so many have been sold .there is a healthy second hand market...while i am on the subject i have a chance at a v low mileage 16 plate in exeptional condition or a new 17 one in april (stainless spokes)..3500 or 5000 change over any opinions.
johnnyboxer

Re: crf1000 africa twins second hand

Post by johnnyboxer »

motorbike wrote:i am seeing a hell of a lot of africa twins on sale in e bay at very low mileage ..all from dealers ...which would lead me to believe people have bought into the dream were dissapointed then changed to something else or back to a type of bike they were used to...or is it that just so many have been sold .there is a healthy second hand market...while i am on the subject i have a chance at a v low mileage 16 plate in exeptional condition or a new 17 one in april (stainless spokes)..3500 or 5000 change over any opinions.
Had 2 mates who bought them and were disappointed, overall

Not the Honda they expected and both sold them within 1000 miles of use

One bought a 1200 GS and loving it and another bought a 1190R KTM

They thought the AT was dull, with a capital D
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

johnnyboxer wrote:They thought the AT was dull, with a capital D
Well it is a Honda! :evil:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

motorbike wrote:while i am on the subject i have a chance at a v low mileage 16 plate in exeptional condition or a new 17 one in april (stainless spokes)..3500 or 5000 change over any opinions.
I think you need too change your user name to "Dithering Doris"
We have been through this so many times with you.
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I've looked into this already and this is what i think.

People often buy an Adventure bike to fill an image or fulfil a dream they have.

What they end up doing is lots and lots of road miles. A new CRF is great off road but a GS12 is better on road.

The CRF marketing shows a bike that can climb mountains and eat mud...well it can...but how many people will spend over 10k and then risk getting it chipped or dented...or god forbid even dirty!

An adventure bike will never ever be as good as a tourer when compared to a 1200GS or RT or Pan.

I really do think it's as simple as that....a very good bike but bought for the wrong reasons.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Andy A

Post by Andy A »

Why would people who clearly enjoy 125 and 145 HP bikes respectively spend 10K plus on a 100hp bike and be surprised that it doesn't light their fire. I was and am interested in an AT but had no illusions from the marketing that road use wouldn't be a daily dose of adrenalin, but what I did get from the marketing is that it would be a great if slightly heavy dual purpose bike with more off road orientation. Most are probably sold for road use, a few people I know who use them off-road regularly love them.

The more mugs out there who sell them within a thousand miles the better for me to get a decent second hand one (thumbs)
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Old one a legend.
New one praised to the heights by the press.
Fashion statement.
Never underestimate the tendency of bikers to follow fashion.
Most folks want a road bike.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I have travelled on the RT some quite long trips and found it very comfortable. However when I have travelled with someone on adventure or naked bikes I always find they cant keep the distance, tired/wet/cold/exhausted long before that hits me.

I think its also a case of a right bike bought for wrong reasons. Adventure by its nature is not meant to imply hundreds of motorway miles every day at motorway speeds, but maybe a mix with some or lots of or mostly lower speeds on less good surfaces where it will excel. A few I know with them have a decent touring bike as well and use the AT more for its apparently intended purpose with great enjoyment.

I have to agree though, spend £10k on a nice shiny new bike you will be slow to take it on rocky off road trails where its a matter of when you let it over and do serious financial damage, not if, and then find its too heavy to get it upright again on your own.

Same debate we had back in the seventies when guys bought the Honda CB750-4 and Kawasaki 900 Z1s for speed and then found on twisty roads the Yamaha RD350 ran rings around them.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
bowber

Post by bowber »

Andy A wrote:Why would people who clearly enjoy 125 and 145 HP bikes respectively spend 10K plus on a 100hp bike and be surprised that it doesn't light their fire. I was and am interested in an AT but had no illusions from the marketing that road use wouldn't be a daily dose of adrenalin, but what I did get from the marketing is that it would be a great if slightly heavy dual purpose bike with more off road orientation. Most are probably sold for road use, a few people I know who use them off-road regularly love them.

The more mugs out there who sell them within a thousand miles the better for me to get a decent second hand one (thumbs)
Spot on.
I've come from the other direction having had single cylinder trails bike most of my life so the sub 100hp of my KTM is way more than I've been used to. I've had a few sports bikes but they have usually been older models and around 100hp anyway. For me the comfort and visibility of the riding position far outweighs any power consideration.
As to the Honda AT, Honda capitalised on the fame of it's previous AT and grabbed a part of the market that was wanting something different from sports bikes but didn't want a tourer, I have friends who considered it but they had no interest in the likes of the big KTM's and BMW's for some reason.

Steve
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Mike101 wrote:I've looked into this already and this is what i think.

People often buy an Adventure bike to fill an image or fulfil a dream they have.

What they end up doing is lots and lots of road miles. A new CRF is great off road but a GS12 is better on road.

The CRF marketing shows a bike that can climb mountains and eat mud...well it can...but how many people will spend over 10k and then risk getting it chipped or dented...or god forbid even dirty!

An adventure bike will never ever be as good as a tourer when compared to a 1200GS or RT or Pan.

I really do think it's as simple as that....a very good bike but bought for the wrong reasons.

Mike
I totally agree with that (thumbs) . And conversely, a lot of riders who buy a bike like that and take it on the dirt soon realise it's limitations and revert back to a pure enduro/trail bike for serious off-road use.

I did the same when I had an XT660Z Tenere. I know they are a good bike that can take you around the world but I just couldn't get on with it on the dirt and always rode my 450 EXC-R instead.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “BIKES”