800XC or 1200GS........Which One ??

The Things We Ride
Jammin

800XC or 1200GS........Which One ??

Post by Jammin »

Its time for a change & am struggling to decide on the 800XC or a 1200GS (or even a GSA).
I've had 8 months of on & off road joy on my 1150GSA (which will be up for sale on here soon maybe) but want to up grade to a newer bike before the summers end.
I've just had a mornings test ride on the XC & thoroughly enjoyed it. Very impressed with the engine & like the fact that its a lighter bike for green laneing.
Test riding a 1200GS on Friday but would like to hear from anyone who had the same decision to make.
VR_Rider

Re: 800XC or 1200GS........Which One ??

Post by VR_Rider »

Thats a tought call, i guess your gonna have to see after the test ride which one you liked the most!
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Just my 2p:

they are two similar but vastly different bikes! I was out on my 800XC with three big GS riders last weekend (2 x 1200 and 1 x 1150) and they all handled the trails around Thetford very well. I can't say what it is like to ride the GS off-road but I do know that the XC is lighter (especially when it lands on your foot) and probably more manageable off-road, whereas the GS will definitely be a better long distance touring bike.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

both great bikes , both do great things , ride them both then pick , how much off road do you do, how much road riding , add it up buy the bike that suits your needs .

my money would go bmw , but thats me lol
OB1

Post by OB1 »

desertraider wrote:my money would go bmw , but thats me lol
That would be another factor, I think: the GS must be nearly twice the price of the XC but is it twice the bike? ;)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

No brainer, if it was my money I'd be down the BMW dealers.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
OB1

Post by OB1 »

mark1150 wrote:No brainer, if it was my money I'd be down the BMW dealers.
I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous reply... :whistle: :P
justrtw.com
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

OB1 wrote:Just my 2p:

they are two similar but vastly different bikes! I was out on my 800XC with three big GS riders last weekend (2 x 1200 and 1 x 1150) and they all handled the trails around Thetford very well. I can't say what it is like to ride the GS off-road but I do know that the XC is lighter (especially when it lands on your foot) and probably more manageable off-road, whereas the GS will definitely be a better long distance touring bike.
The riders weren't that big!!! OK, maybe a little ;)

I love my 1150 and it does me well on the trails, but I would look at a variety of KTMs and maybe the BMW 800 if I was replacing it. Whatever bike I did buy would be a decent secondhand one though, because I have a pathological aversion to depreciation.

PS - when are you going to get that suspension sorted?!?!
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Norm De Plume wrote:PS - when are you going to get that suspension sorted?!?!
Once the car sells and I have a bit of spare cash! :blush:
justrtw.com
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

OB1 wrote:
Norm De Plume wrote:PS - when are you going to get that suspension sorted?!?!
Once the car sells and I have a bit of spare cash! :blush:
Get yersen' along to MCT and get it set up properly. When they sorted my VFR, it was like having a new bike but it only cost a couple of hundred quid. It's the single most cost-effective mod I've had on any bike.

Return to “BIKES”