New Triumph 800 Adventure Bike

The Things We Ride

Re:New Triumph 800 Adventure Bike

Post by Guest »

RTW2009 wrote: F800GS is v frugal. I have had 263 miles to empty
Triumph claim the new Tiger will be 10% LESS frugal than the GS but it does carry 3 litres more in its tank.
Mark1961

Re:New Triumph 800 Adventure Bike

Post by Mark1961 »

There are some more pictures on this link of the launch and close-ups of the bike.

Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
E.T.

Re: New Triumph 800 Adventure Bike

Post by E.T. »

Alun wrote: Weren't invited
Strange that, especially as you're a pretty pro-triumph sort of chap, sorry, boyo
Alun

Post by Alun »

E.T. wrote:
Strange that, especially as you're a pretty pro-triumph sort of chap, sorry, boyo
I've been on enough overseas press launches over the past 15 years to realise I didn't miss much other than free travel, free beer, free food...er. Perhaps I'll give them a ring when the new 1200's on the pad. :whistle:
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Alun wrote:
E.T. wrote:
I've been on enough overseas press launches over the past 15 years to realise I didn't miss much other than free travel, free beer, free food...er. Perhaps I'll give them a ring when the new 1200's on the pad. :whistle:
You didn't want any of that free rubish anyway........... :laugh: :laugh:
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
scouse

Post by scouse »

bandit1250gt wrote:
Come on give it a go and get behind it!!
Why ?

It doesn't tick my boxes and I don't like peaky bikes ??

I have been riding for over 30 years and thanks to having mates who worked or work in or had or still own bike shops have gained a very varied knowledge and hands-on experience of very many bike models and variants. I don't hold a car licence so ride every day and as I own several bikes from various manufacturers as does my partner I have a good idea by now of what in a bike floats my boat , what I need from it and importantly what will make me want and covet it.

If everyone wanted the same thing it would be a very bland place.

What I really want I will never get from a shop also due to the many regs manufacturers now have to build to. I had great hopes for this bike coming close as a refreshing alternative, but apart from finding it aesthetically pleasing there are some sides to it's specs that I know from experience I won't like. I don't like to ride peakey bikes, I like big gurt gobs of tourque and I want it from low down. I still think the F800GS is too peakey, so I don't own one but it has good torque response and it's on an excellent progressive curve. I want to see a dyno chart from a baby Tiger... just to prove myself wrong but I doubt it.

But I digress my real point is with this particular bike...Many moons ago due to my involvement with custom shows and riders rights I was invited on a Triumph marketing workshop in 2001 where they got pro- and anti- riders together to discuss what they think about their bikes, and apart from over the years being amused at seeing in print comments I made in the workshops, it was the one of the bikes I had placed high on the wish list to be part of the fleet... a smaller version of the Tiger... that I really wanted to see.

Got paid 50 quid for my efforts and have spent several years waiting, watching the Tiger become bigger in cubes and evolving into just another sports tourer ... so unless you have been waiting as long as I have for Triumph to make a credible challenger to the BMW strangle hold on quite a specific market... :whistle:

But I will say it again, it's in my opinion that until I am not sufficiently currently attracted by performance or price to letting one have a place in the garage of my heart... for anyone else feel free to make your own minds up , all bikes deserve a home...
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Post by Guest »

scouse wrote: [quote=bandit1250gt post=10646]

Why ?

I have been riding for over 30 years
have gained a very varied knowledge and experience of very many bike models and variants.
You say you've experience of many different bikes but clearly, to me at least, you've never ridden a Triumph triple because if you had you'd know that they are definitely NOT peaky. None of them. Not one.
See a dyno graph of the new Tiger here http://www.ashonbikes.com/forum/triumph ... 800?page=4 post #150 you'll see that, just like all Triumph triples, it has a very flat torque curve.
Try one, you might be surprised.
scouse

Post by scouse »

blacktiger wrote:
scouse wrote:
bandit1250gt wrote:
Why ?

I have been riding for over 30 years
have gained a very varied knowledge and experience of very many bike models and variants.
You say you've experience of many different bikes but clearly, to me at least, you've never ridden a Triumph triple because if you had you'd know that they are definitely NOT peaky. None of them. Not one.
See a dyno graph of the new Tiger here http://www.ashonbikes.com/forum/triumph ... 800?page=4 post #150 you'll see that, just like all Triumph triples, it has a very flat torque curve.
Try one, you might be surprised.
We've got a Speed Triple on her side... of the garage both bored with it, tried flogging it this autumn but all we got was tyre kickers coming to see it, sits there on the optimate ... Like I said neither of us like having to constantly rev the nuts off it as power comes in so high up the revs. The torque curve on that page sadly re-inforces my belief that it's still a Street Triple and needs more mid range and less top... more torque less horses.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
bandit1250gt

Post by bandit1250gt »

Well said Blacktiger, couldn't agree more.

We have all been riding a fair few years, see one of my previous posts. With work and pleasure i have racked up well over a million miles, not saying this to wave my willy, just letting you know you don't have to have ridden a bloody bike for thirty years to know what you are talking about, nor do you need to know a few blokes who own a bike shop!!

I ride in the London Met for a living and have lost count of the number of "blokes" in a bike shop who i have shared a coffee and cig with!!!

All i am saying is get behind them instead of trashing anything thats not a BM
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

triumph-tiger-800-courbes.jpg
triumph-tiger-800-courbes.jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 2222 times

Return to “BIKES”