Tenere 1200 what year

The Things We Ride
Philips78

Tenere 1200 what year

Post by Philips78 »

Looking at getting the 1200 are there any years to avoid, what is the best year to go for there seems to be a varied choice out there for the mileage and years.
herman

Re: Tenere 1200 what year

Post by herman »

Nope all good. There is a Mk 2 out with more bells and whistles but do your research and buy on condition. A well farkled and loved one with 20k on it is worth more in my book than a standard never had an oil change 10k one but the dealers will charge you more for the low miler. Tis the season for making a sporting offer. I think valve check at 24k? is labour heavy so if thats done its a bonus but most dont need any adjustment until twice those miles or more. 1st gen cam chain tensioner can be noisy, mine is not, but get it changed at the valve check service for peace of mind I guess although failures are rare. Beware though a botched diy job can be a disaster. :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

I think they changed a few things in 2014,ironed out a few very minor problems changed the fuelling slightly different clocks with a gear change indicator, camchain tensioner,also cruz became standard as well.I have had my 2010 model just over a year with no problems done just over 8,000 miles all pleasure miles no work runs.they are a bit noisy but thats about it.On the whole they are bomb proof,but you will always get the odd one that has problems like any bike.hope this helps cheers Tony.
fraserdog

Post by fraserdog »

Some owners have noted a slight vibration at about 2.5k -3k rpm for the pre 14 bikes ,post 14 bikes have a modified clutch basket to cure this problem.Mines a 12 reg with 7k miles on the clock and has this vibration but if needed the post 14 clutch basket is a straight swap,easy job but expensive parts.Some owners have had surging probs at low revs down to fuelling but this can be mapped out apparently.There is a wealth of information on the Super Tenere Forum.
steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

Improved bike from 14 on, you can tell which it has fully digital clocks, less restriction in the first 3 gears plus a few other tweaks.
But generally they are all tough bikes.
If your looking at the mk1 check the clocks. No 1 button can go and is not fixable, leaving you without trips or diagnostics. New clocks are about £800!!!
Haggle accordingly then disconnect the battery at 12:30. Reconnect at 1:00, the clock defaults to 1:00, and main odometer will be displayed. No 2 button will still work giving you ave mpg etc etc.
Love mine :-)
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

In my opinion, the later model ( although having a lot more toys) isn't worth the extra money, and an alloy side stand, whats that all about?!

Just either buy one already "flashed" or make it your first farkle and you won't regret it.
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
Philips78

Post by Philips78 »

Cheers all the ones I have been looking at are mostly 2014
Sideleaner

Post by Sideleaner »

Even my 2010 First Edition has been bullet proof no issues, but only 40000km now. Still like it and gonna keep it for a while. Once considered an Africa Twin but no...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Haven`t tried a gen 1 but I like the way the heated grips are controllable on the dash and I love the cruise control on gen 2 (thumbs)
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Sideleaner wrote:Even my 2010 First Edition has been bullet proof no issues, but only 40000km now. Still like it and gonna keep it for a while. Once considered an Africa Twin but no...
Unless already done, you are in line for a valve check.

Get the cam chain tensioner changed at the same time. It is an easy (and safer) job to do with the valve cover off.

The early ones are faulty and can give up and allow chain slippage after 40,000 km.

They have been superceeded by Yamaha for the Gen 1 models to mimmic the Gen 2 models.

Return to “BIKES”