Rivals To The CCM GP 450

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Rivals To The CCM GP 450

Post by SteveW »

Are CCM going to be swept aside as the big manufactuers launch their own lightweight all-roads Trip-ready travel bike?
What's out there? Or what's likely to be out there in the next Three years?
I'm not sure there's a viable rival out there now.
There's a Chinese 250 Adventure bike, I think it's imported to the UK and Branded a Honley?
But would a Chinese 250 bike be a viable Load-up and go Travel bike?
There's the Trying-to-be-serious Enfield Himalayan. For me Enfields are quirky second bikes, ideal for people who enjoy a bit of weekend nostalgia, or people who live in India and have a choice of an Enfield or somthing Chinese.
KTM would be serious completion. But for reasons best known to themselves they didn't see fit to produce a 690adv.
Their excellent 390 motor would be great in a trip ready lightweight off road capable travel bike, but despite the odd rumour there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipe line.
BMW have a small 310cc GS, but that just looks like a GS for kids, a starter bike to hook the young rider and begin the GS Motorad brainwashing program.
The replacement Yamaha Tenere? Don't hold your breath and it'll be too lardy.
Honda? I don't think so, not anytime soon, their marketing department begin the hype two years before production and l've not seen anything yet.
They seem content to let Rally Raid to play around with their 500cc tall commuter bike, without bothering themselves.
AJP? Too heavy, too expensive and isn't it just a big trail bike?
Have I missed anything?
I get my new CCM GP450s next month.
Edit.......
Oh yeah, I forgot Honda have added a bit of plastic to their CRF250L.
shed

Re: Rivals To The CCM GP 450

Post by shed »

Drz400s with a big tank and a rear rack.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

You will absolutely love it! Good luck and enjoy (thumbs)
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

It will be interesting to see what KTM do with the 390 version as seen in this months ABR mag. For me the GP450 engine is the week link against the price point, everything else is hard to beat especially the handling and low weight. But if KTM can get a similar 42 bhp as standard (without expensive mods) and a motor that is less vibey, they are half way there. The 690R has recently been selling for £6.5 K which is a real bargain, if they price the 390 similarly they can't fail, those that wear 'Orange' pyjamas will be clamouring all over them, plus KTM's manuafcture rate will flood the market, waiting months for a CCM is ridiculous in this day and age, but I don't see any other competition for CCM in this unique market :whistle:

Sarge
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Shed, I've got a DRZ with a big tank. But it's never going to be as easy and accomplished to ride on a long trip as a CCM. It can be done of course, but I'd like an easier life, I want a holiday not an endurance test.

Sarge, CCM gave me a six week delivery date, which if it happens is much improved, I've ordered the bike at this time of year because I don't need it for travel until April.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

The Sarge wrote:For me the GP450 engine is the week link
Sarge, have you tried the GP450 fitted with the PCV, power plug and carbon exhaust?

Jon
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Jonny, I think CCM need to do somthing with that engine, or find another one.
In 2017 they are only allowed to sell 100 bikes into the UK market due to new emission regs.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

In my humble opinion , the CCM has no equal in the current market, when you look at the whole package, the quality parts, weight , suspension,engine (you Carn't have your cake and eat it, if you buy a single there are going to be vibes, mines not bad in comparison to others) , comfort and handling. Just wish it was a couple of grand cheaper (thumbs) :whistle: . Then there's the fuel economy and tank range, my gp450 is no. 007 off the production line, so no performance pack and it's fine , I am going to test a performance pack demo at the factory in the new year. Listening to folk who have had the mod done it seems fuel economy is effected , I also wonder about reliability, I have a standard bike and it's never missed a beat in 7k, I know that's nowt compared to Minky's mileage , he had no engine problems with his.
Then there's the factory support (thumbs) , enough said (thumbs)
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

SteveW wrote:Are CCM going to be swept aside as the big manufactuers launch their own lightweight all-roads Trip-ready travel bike?
What's out there? Or what's likely to be out there in the next Three years?
I'm not sure there's a viable rival out there now.
There's a Chinese 250 Adventure bike, I think it's imported to the UK and Branded a Honley?
But would a Chinese 250 bike be a viable Load-up and go Travel bike?
There's the Trying-to-be-serious Enfield Himalayan. For me Enfields are quirky second bikes, ideal for people who enjoy a bit of weekend nostalgia, or people who live in India and have a choice of an Enfield or somthing Chinese.
KTM would be serious completion. But for reasons best known to themselves they didn't see fit to produce a 690adv.
Their excellent 390 motor would be great in a trip ready lightweight off road capable travel bike, but despite the odd rumour there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipe line.
BMW have a small 310cc GS, but that just looks like a GS for kids, a starter bike to hook the young rider and begin the GS Motorad brainwashing program.
The replacement Yamaha Tenere? Don't hold your breath and it'll be too lardy.
Honda? I don't think so, not anytime soon, their marketing department begin the hype two years before production and l've not seen anything yet.
They seem content to let Rally Raid to play around with their 500cc tall commuter bike, without bothering themselves.
AJP? Too heavy, too expensive and isn't it just a big trail bike?
Have I missed anything?
I get my new CCM GP450s next month.
Edit.......
Oh yeah, I forgot Honda have added a bit of plastic to their CRF250L.
Interesting question. Two years ago, when my wife and I ordered our GP450s, I had been hoping that KTM would bring out a 390 Adventure. There were rumours at the time then KTM issued a statement to confirm that the 390 platform was not suitable and they had no plans to do so. My wife had a 390 Duke at the time and these bikes really do punch above their weight but they are built down to a price and it shows.

The new 390 Duke has gained about 10kg and any ADV version would probably gain another 10, without added luggage etc. That puts it at around 160kg dry vs 125kg of the CCM.

Now, the 390 engine is a corker and is arguably better than the CCM in standard tune. All things being equal (and they are not), I would have liked to see that engine in the CCM however I have changed my mind since taking a short test ride on my GP450 with the full power kit. Basically, it now out-hooligans the KTM :evil: .

The other serious contender would be the CRF Honda in 250 or 450 guise with big tanks etc. From the specs and pictures I have seen, it doesn't seem to be a big step towards an Adventure-ready model.

The Chinese competition will offer a great deal at a low price point but they tend to use heavier components and to me, heavy bikes need a powerful engine to make sense. My big ADV bike weighs >250KG and puts out 105BHP. I've never wished it had more power but I've always wished it was a bit lighter!

Enjoy the CCM, Steve. You can't beat top drawer suspension and bicycle-like dynamics!

Jon
MR X

Post by MR X »

and this one lol When they bring the adventure out :whistle:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/a ... w-g-310-gs

Return to “BIKES”