one for the drz lads

The Things We Ride
oRICHo

Re: one for the drz lads

Post by oRICHo »

I also have the E version which is taller, I am 5'11" but short legged, it was too tall for me so I first cut the seat foam down but later had the foam replaced with custom foam, which is cheap to do and makes the bike super comfortable, and lower.
I suspect the S will still feel tall so might want to consider lowering links, but see how you get on.

I use 14/49 gearing for green laning but I suppose that depends how technical your local lanes are, for fire trails I'd go with any where from the 'S' 15/44 to the 'E' 14/47.

I've toured on mine with 15/49 gearing - ADV style camping trips in Wales, France and around Slovenia/Croatia (took the bikes over in a van).
The DRZ is very a capable bike, a do it all machine.
I've had my year 2000 DRZ since 2003 and have no plans to sell. :)

There are a load of reliability fixes that you can do, some are a must, they are all documented on ThumperTalk's DRZ400 section.

Good luck. B)
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Tony,
You can buy lowering links for £20 on ebay, they take 10 minutes to fit, some also lift the fork stanchions 20-25 mm in the triple clamps to compensate the overall steering geometry, but you shouldn't need to really. Bar risers, heavy duty bash-plate and engine case protection is a good investment if you are doing a lot of trails. There is a ton of info on them and a ton of different guises, its a great foundation for Adventure, Rally or Trail-riding the best Dual Sport Bike £ for £ I have owned by a mile.

DSC_0449_2016-11-21.JPG
DSC_0449_2016-11-21.JPG (75.09 KiB) Viewed 973 times
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Paul-S wrote:Hi Anthony

I'm 92kgs and 6' with a 31 inside leg. My DRZ sits a bit higher than standard as I have had the suspension adjusted, I can just touch the floor on tip toes but easier when fully loaded.

Just done the HISS on it this year and it runs great. The gearing I am runni ng is 15 / 43. According to gearing commander and the dyno I had it set up on, 70 mph is just on 6500 rpm. (this is also 70mph on satnav. It's OK but I prefer to run between 64-68 mph (showing 72-75 on the clock) around 6000 rpm. It's sit all day doing this fully loaded and still returns 60 mpg

I have a Clarke tank on, I got 183 miles before stopping to fill up with 14 ltrs. As The Sarge has said 120 miles is about right for a stock bike
i have seen pictures of your bike on the forum and it looks like a really sorted bike i know i could alter the gearing on the front and rear sprockets and that would give me a better cruising speed but i wouldn't want it unusable on off road riding.so i need to find one in a shop so i can have a sit on it to put my mind at rest,thanks for you positive feedback.cheers tony.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

The Sarge wrote:Tony,
You can buy lowering links for £20 on ebay, they take 10 minutes to fit, some also lift the fork stanchions 20-25 mm in the triple clamps to compensate the overall steering geometry, but you shouldn't need to really. Bar risers, heavy duty bash-plate and engine case protection is a good investment if you are doing a lot of trails. There is a ton of info on them and a ton of different guises, its a great foundation for Adventure, Rally or Trail-riding the best Dual Sport Bike £ for £ I have owned by a mile.

DSC_0449_2016-11-21.JPG
hi mate,trust me i am a master at lowering bikes,when i say i am a short arse i mean it ,28 inch inside leg on a good day with the wind behind me.i know i could probs lower it by 2 inches easy maybe 3.i dont mind tip toes but i dont like shuffling around on the seat,wieght wouldnt be a problem as i ride a s10(lowered) and there no light wieght.i think i need to put my leg over one just to put my mind at rest.thanks for the positive feedback.cheers tony.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I have a set of links taken off my DR350 when I bought it, yours for a brew if they are of any help

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Tony, any time you want to try out A DRZ400 just let me know, you can have a do on mine.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

This is my old DRZ400E. CRD exhaust, bashplate, frame protectors, hand guards, renthal dakar bars

Image[/img]
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Scott_rider wrote:This is my old DRZ400E. CRD exhaust, bashplate, frame protectors, hand guards, renthal dakar bars

Image[/img]
looks like a well sorted steed.cheers tony
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

SteveW wrote:Tony, any time you want to try out A DRZ400 just let me know, you can have a do on mine.
very kind offer.i may well take you up on the offer,i am hoping to get to the bike show on Sunday and work on Saturday so my be the weekend after i really just need to put my leg over one,but a little spin on one would be great.cheers tony.chris has just bought a ktm 690 enduro told him to contact you as you use to have one never forget riding behind you popping wheelies and you blaming it on the front mudguard lol.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

not so easy to get the gearing right for distanceand tight trails but i loved mine its just a dam shame they went out of production ..may be easier to ask whos not had one ..pretty popular bike nuff said

Imagedrz coniston by minkyhead56, on Flickr/[/img]
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”