XT660 Tenere

The Things We Ride
BIG BILL

XT660 Tenere

Post by BIG BILL »

I'm seriously thinking about trading in my Triumph 955i Tiger for a Yamaha XT660 tenere in 2009 guise White and red.

9000 on the clock.
I have owned over the years, sports bikes, tourers, and a few tiger 955i's(3)
Including a brand new XT1200 super Tenere.(I'm old)

I now want a simple, use every day bike that aint too heavy and will green lane and tour with camping gear.

Any one who has one I would be grateful if you would let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
cozi70

Re: XT660 Tenere

Post by cozi70 »

Hello BB.
I bought one this year to replace an xtx and run along side a 12gs, and like it so much ive sold the gs.
I find it a good all rounder.
I didn't buy the optinal original side boxes upon recommendation from the owner but bought rear frames from heavy industries and their mainstand, and plan to run soft side bags.
A pipe,filter and fuel mod help release a bit more power .
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Go to xt660.com and all the answers will be there.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Northumbrian

Post by Northumbrian »

BIG BILL wrote:I'm seriously thinking about trading in my Triumph 955i Tiger for a Yamaha XT660 tenere in 2009 guise White and red.

9000 on the clock.

I now want a simple, use every day bike that aint too heavy and will green lane and tour with camping gear.

Any one who has one I would be grateful if you would let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

BB
Would that be the 660 in your local Yamaha dealers by any chance ?(had a quick glance at it a wee while back)
2919 CRF 250 Rally
2019 CRF 1000 Africa Twin
RandG

Post by RandG »

I bought one from this very forum early last year, it had 5000 miles on it, it now has almost 20,000 miles on it, had it over to Iceland in July and everywhere inbetween, absolutely love it.

I have a 16 plate GS with all the bells and whistles on it, but I enjoy riding the ten more, says it all for me. (thumbs)
robson

Post by robson »

BIG BILL wrote:I'm seriously thinking about trading in my Triumph 955i Tiger for a Yamaha XT660 tenere in 2009 guise White and red.

9000 on the clock.

Thanks in advance.

BB
fantastic bike but I would advice go with newer model, preferably 2012+ because they got better suspension. Also 2009 had some problems with gearbox what was fixed after.

This bike in stock version has more or less everything I would need from the bike.
Soon will be not possible anymore to get new bike without all those electronic S#@$%t.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I bought mine brand new in March 2009 and the best thing about it is that it was cheap. They're built to a budget and if it hadn't been sorted out by now then a 2009 model will have rubbish suspension so if you intend taking it off road expect to have to buy a new rear shock and at least change the fork springs. They're also ridiculously heavy which makes the suspension struggle even more if you hit any holes off road but if all you want is a cheap bike that will keep going and handle a few fire breaks then they're a good buy.
robson

Post by robson »

AndyB wrote:I bought mine brand new in March 2009 and the best thing about it is that it was cheap. They're built to a budget...
Completely don't agree - bike build is very solid, have many features which even more expensive bikes do not have and it's not the cheapest adventure bike either. To name a few good crash protection, folding gear lever, damped steering bar, dual brembo front brakes, big tank range.
Newer models has pretty good, progressive suspension as well. Tenere is the first bike I own I didn't have to buy anything else to be adventure ready.

p.s.
did I mention it's the best looking adventure bike either :woohoo:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Don't forget that they are very nearly a 200kg bike so they're not light.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
boatman

Post by boatman »

robson wrote:

9000 on the clock.

I would agree with the above poster about the G/ box issue , before I bought mine ( which incidentally is for sale on here

Return to “BIKES”