WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Paul-F

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Paul-F »

I've also been sorting a few things out, getting there slowly.

Put the numark battery in, seems good, starts well.

Had Mitas E-09's put on front and rear in preparation for going on a beginners off road training weekend with Nathan M in 2 weeks.

Got the engine bars on - that was a pain! I think the left side was designed in a different office and by a different team than the right side, it took a lot of pulling about to get everything to line up.

I've got the hard luggage now too which I like, but the lock on one of the catches has already broken :(

Someone had mentioned the "stay chain" from WK earlier in the thread as being a case saver. I got one, and it isn't, it actually goes round the front sprocket. I couldn't figure out how to fit it with the existing bolts but that may just be ineptitude on my part :)

Still loving the bike and finally ready to take it off the tarmac :)
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Oh and I checked with Quadzilla, can't get the tool kits. Will just have to work out spark plug removal some other way.
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Hi Paul, bikes looking good, love the Mitas E-09's, i think the chain saver is instead of the existing cover and would need shorter bolts

Let me know some dates if your still up for a meet, im ok weekdays if this suits
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

netsonic wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:08 pm Hi Paul, bikes looking good, love the Mitas E-09's, i think the chain saver is instead of the existing cover and would need shorter bolts

Let me know some dates if your still up for a meet, im ok weekdays if this suits
Ah that would make sense about the chain saver.

Yes still up for it, a Friday might be good, during the week I tend to be busy but wind down on Fridays usually - could you make the 26th maybe?
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

BTW I checked the manual for the chain tension and it says 1 - 2 cm. I thought that seemed small but I set it at about 1.5, when I took the bike off the centre stand there was hardly any play at all. Doesn't seem right to me, I think I'm going to slacken it off a bit further. What do you set yours at netsonic?
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

26th is good will pencil it in the calendar

Thats too tight for this bike and relevant suspension travel..........its nearer 35-50mm

10. Examination of chain tension Jack up the motorcycle so that the rear wheel can not reach the ground. Press the end of the chain sliding component chain upward. The distance between the chain and the swing arm should be approx.8-10mm. In the course of this procedure, the upper chain portion【A】will get tight. If necessary, correct the chain tension
XY400GY v2.pdf
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Ah that sounds much more sensible! Glad I didn't try and ride it like that.

We must have different versions of the manual somehow:

netsonic

Post by netsonic »

indeed,...……... you'll love this I have 4 versions of the manual one is even in French ooh la la...………….I tend to use them as a base ref as Confucius once said...…...rules are for fools and guidance for wise men, I would stick to that approach with the WK400 :shock:

The bike has fooled me many times :!:

I think the manuals were also written in a different office and by different teams :lol:
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

netsonic wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:12 pm I think the manuals were also written in a different office and by different teams :lol:
...and translated by Google translate :D

Just went for a short run today, tarmac only, the E09s seem fine on the road. A bit wobbly sometimes and they tend to follow imperfections in the road surface but nothing too scary - I've yet to try them in the wet tho. The bike really looks the business now but will just show up my lack of riding skill more I fear :)

Also my neutral light stopped working today, grrrr.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You'll be amazed at the difference they make off-tarmac.

The best single modification you can make to any trail bike is to choose an appropriate set of tyres.

Have you got rim locks?

If so, don't be afraid to lower the tyre pressures on soft/slippery ground (you can go down to 10 - 15 psi), but bear in mind this does make the tubes more vulnerable to pinch-punctures and the rims more likely to get dinged on rocky going.

Enjoy

Return to “BIKES”