WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Scotriders

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Scotriders »

Markus wrote: On the Foto you see the modified gear shift lever without sharp edges:
Nice work, need to get mine off and do the same.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Scotriders wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:22 am Thanks for the replies about the battery.
So was out again with my mates on their CRFs and again my 400 had a couple of times when it wouldn't start after stopping for a few minutes.
I'm putting it down to overheating as it only seems to happen when it's been running high revs in 1st on tough terrain.
It just wouldn't start, to the point it was almost killing the battery.
However leaving it for 15, 20 mins it would eventually start.
I've seen a few things about oil coolers, has anyone fitted one and if so where did you get it from?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

This may help with ideas about oil cooler

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Just a suggestion, but is the hot start issue down to fuel vaporisation?

Sleeving the fuel lines and perhaps applying reflective/insulating material to the underside of the tank might help.

Engines prefer their fuel in droplets rather than vapour.

Be a lot easier than installing an oil cooler, which creates a vulnerability to flying stones etc....plus over-cooled oil can damage an engine.
Glenn_G

Post by Glenn_G »

' ... oil coolers, has anyone fitted one and if so where did you get it from?'

review page 48 of this topic, i list models of oil cooler suitable, then try ebay, gumtree, fb marketplace, breakers etc etc
Scotriders

Post by Scotriders »

OK so today's issues.
Had a run through to Glasgow to meet up with the Yesbikers. The ride in front of the rally was very stop start so we didn't get too far ahead of the main procession, while sitting with the engine running the red engine warning light started flashing, I switched off to let it cool down a bit and of course it refused to start when we went to move on about five minutes later. (not a happy bunny as I ended up having to push it the full length of Sauchiehall St to catch up with the rest of the bikes and finally got it to start after another 10 min wait.
Then heading home on my way out of Glasgow it cut out in traffic and wouldn't restart so had to push it out of traffic and jump start it with my charger pack to get it running again
And the final incident, heading up the A9 sitting at a steady 70ish and the engine just cuts out, red engine light comes on and I have to coast to a stop with the clutch in. Gets the bike on to the verge takes my gloves off, have a quick look around the bike for any obvious issues, try to start it again and it bursts straight into life.
So my question is, what causes the red light to come on? Is there a temperature sensor, the lambda sensor or something else?
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Scotriders wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:15 am OK so today's issues.
Had a run through to Glasgow to meet up with the Yesbikers. The ride in front of the rally was very stop start so we didn't get too far ahead of the main procession, while sitting with the engine running the red engine warning light started flashing, I switched off to let it cool down a bit and of course it refused to start when we went to move on about five minutes later. (not a happy bunny as I ended up having to push it the full length of Sauchiehall St to catch up with the rest of the bikes and finally got it to start after another 10 min wait.
Then heading home on my way out of Glasgow it cut out in traffic and wouldn't restart so had to push it out of traffic and jump start it with my charger pack to get it running again
And the final incident, heading up the A9 sitting at a steady 70ish and the engine just cuts out, red engine light comes on and I have to coast to a stop with the clutch in. Gets the bike on to the verge takes my gloves off, have a quick look around the bike for any obvious issues, try to start it again and it bursts straight into life.
So my question is, what causes the red light to come on? Is there a temperature sensor, the lambda sensor or something else?

The red light is linked to the ECU, if there is fault with the system the light may come on and flash in a particular sequence which are referenced against a series of fault codes. This is shown in the owners manual

Normal function is ignition on don't start the bike, ECU light will be on for 3s then goes off...……….if it flashes beyond this then its highlighting a potential fault

Before you dive into sensors across the bike have you checked the basics highlighted in this thread, valve clearance, spark plug, TPS setting and fuel cap breather, even the correct oil level. When I tweaked my TPS on one test I made the bike run lean and it got worryingly hot very quick !!!!!!, disconnecting the TPS will give a fault code via the ECU light post 3s...……once I set the TPS to what I said earlier in the thread I cleared the fault i.e. flashing ECU light by disconnecting the battery for 3 days

Its clear your bike has an issue and I can only comment on my bike that has suffered no such issue , but i would check the basics first to eliminate them which includes the TPS check.......when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Rutlandflyer

Post by Rutlandflyer »

[media]
Stopped cut out on my 400
Stopped cut out on my 400
IMG_20200311_162539.jpg (153.81 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
[/media]
Rutlandflyer

Fitted carbureter wiring loom from cb400ss and also ecu from same bike

Post by Rutlandflyer »

Fitted carbureter wiring loom from cb400ss and also ecu from same bike
Attachments
IMG_20200311_162504.jpg
IMG_20200311_162504.jpg (140.86 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

that's some serious mods, I can also see the wheels and front end are different, any info on how it runs with the changes
Rutlandflyer

Post by Rutlandflyer »

Does just over 80mph and it can review freely now i can tune it myself now with it having a carb now .
I had so many problems before and no one would plug the ecu in for me to tune .
No one replied from china or wk so after trying new ecu new injection unit and £500 pound wasted i decided to do it myself.
Works great no stalling no restrictions.

Return to “BIKES”