WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Glenn_G

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Glenn_G »

Hi,
Not been on here for awhile, but thought I'd update you on my fuel pump filter findings - WK confirmed they do not sell filters on their own.
You can buy their fuel pump & filter complete/attached as a whole if you wish, but I'll try and rig up some filter for my spare pump - or just use unfiltered in an emergency ..
Netsonic
'when i decide to check the fork oil, not done much work on forks and hoping its a case of removing the top nut and invert the fork to drain the oil, measure amount that comes out and replace with new or different grade'
You can do that, or undo/remove the large red adjuster cap at the bottom and this allows the oil to be pumped out like a drain screw.
I found 500ml in each leg too much (clonking sound going over bumps offroad :whistle: ) and so trying 325ml and action seems good, apart from a little soft on the damping side, so will probably change out my current ATF for something a little heavier next time 15w, 20w, 30w or maybe a mixture of them.

Gazgazzler
'I tried changing the plug ..., but my 18mm socket spanner didn’t fit, and after reading up, it’s a bugger to change out without a very thin wall socket.'
Agreed, my wk also didn't come with a plug spanner and i've tried lots of box type spanners but none fitted in the tight space (i borrow my mates wk for now) but I need to get one as well, apparently a thin walled xr400 will work such as Motion Pro one :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18MM-DEEP-SPARK ... 0531632735
or maybe cheaper/closer to home:
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xr_40 ... g_spanner/
Can anyone confirm this with a xr plug spanner on a wk plug?
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Glenn_G wrote:Hi,

Not been on here for awhile, but thought I'd update you on my fuel pump filter findings - WK confirmed they do not sell filters on their own.
You can buy their fuel pump & filter complete/attached as a whole if you wish, but I'll try and rig up some filter for my spare pump - or just use unfiltered in an emergency ..

Netsonic
'when i decide to check the fork oil, not done much work on forks and hoping its a case of removing the top nut and invert the fork to drain the oil, measure amount that comes out and replace with new or different grade'
You can do that, or undo/remove the large red adjuster cap at the bottom and this allows the oil to be pumped out like a drain screw.
I found 500ml in each leg too much (clonking sound going over bumps offroad :whistle: ) and so trying 325ml and action seems good, apart from a little soft on the damping side, so will probably change out my current ATF for something a little heavier next time 15w, 20w, 30w or maybe a mixture of them.

Gazgazzler
'I tried changing the plug ..., but my 18mm socket spanner didn’t fit, and after reading up, it’s a bugger to change out without a very thin wall socket.'
Agreed, my wk also didn't come with a plug spanner and i've tried lots of box type spanners but none fitted in the tight space (i borrow my mates wk for now) but I need to get one as well, apparently a thin walled xr400 will work such as Motion Pro one :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18MM-DEEP-SPARK ... 0531632735

or maybe cheaper/closer to home:
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xr_40 ... g_spanner/

Can anyone confirm this with a xr plug spanner on a wk plug?

welcome back Glenn :woohoo: ............back on the subject of the fork oil, can you remember the quantity you had in each leg when you drained out the old oil,and what weight you put in i was going to go with 5w but not sure now......i also read on the Geon site a chap did his and only got 200ml of black slurry out of each and said it should be 350ml........he said he noticed the improvements and the rebound adjuster worked fine
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Good to see you back Glenn , hope all is well :)
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

The original toolkit, does it contain the correct spark plug spanner. The dealer said he left it in his van but after numerous asks and promises for it to be sent on nothing has yet turned up. Take it you can order a kit from Quadzilla? though looking on their site the bikes listed for parts don't include the WK400 :S

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Tyrant68 wrote:The original toolkit, does it contain the correct spark plug spanner. The dealer said he left it in his van but after numerous asks and promises for it to be sent on nothing has yet turned up. Take it you can order a kit from Quadzilla? though looking on their site the bikes listed for parts don't include the WK400 :S
Hi Tyrant, the original toolkit for he bike does contain the plug spanner, i put some pictures of what you should have on here a few pages back, you also get a spare oil filter gasket and a top chain slider which is handy.....the WK website has been going through its annual updates so the WK400 parts bit was not there for a while but its back now......the tool kit it shows is not correct but assume you would get the right one if ordered although could take a while unless they hold the stock....
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

netsonic wrote:
Tyrant68 wrote:The original toolkit, does it contain the correct spark plug spanner. The dealer said he left it in his van but after numerous asks and promises for it to be sent on nothing has yet turned up. Take it you can order a kit from Quadzilla? though looking on their site the bikes listed for parts don't include the WK400 :S
Hi Tyrant, the original toolkit for he bike does contain the plug spanner, i put some pictures of what you should have on here a few pages back, you also get a spare oil filter gasket and a top chain slider which is handy.....the WK website has been going through its annual updates so the WK400 parts bit was not there for a while but its back now......the tool kit it shows is not correct but assume you would get the right one if ordered although could take a while unless they hold the stock....
Thanks will look later .

netsonic

Post by netsonic »

how much fun can you have with a slider...................

earlier in the thread i mentioned the lower chain slider was cut to get it in place as our chains are fully riveted. Not an issue in itself but the cut on my slider was very poor and i felt the cut location which is along one of the bottom edges was loosing the slider its rigidity causing it to move up towards the sprocket and generate additional wear.

So i bought a KTM version to experiment with...........

once arrived i noticed 2 things straight away, first it was so much more ridged than the original which i could easily flex with my thumb and the KTM i couldn't, also there was a nodule on the base which the original did not have........more on that later

So my plan was to change the cut point this time through the top using the seam line of the molded plastic as a guide and initially i wanted to remove the two metal bolt tubes before cutting but they appear to be heat shrunk in place so decided to just cut through them as well...........

the logic was that cutting the top line keeps the shape better and therefore the rigidity and because the top line is where the bolts fix through this should give back most or all of the rigidity from the cutting when installed
45104070044.jpg
45104070044.jpg (17.64 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
WKslider.jpg
WKslider.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

well i have to say very successful, cut the top line and installed into the cage, perfect fit and immediately noticed that the nodule on the base sat up against the cage locking the slider in its position so it cant ride up, also as i tightened the bolts this gave just enough squeeze to the slider so the cut was invisible and had complete rigidity as if it had not been cut at all, went for a test ride and its not moved or ridden up as my old one did and is very smooth when you rotate the wheel...........

its the little things that can bring a smile...........i really need to get out more
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

rather than cut the plastic just remove soft link from chain and fit a clip...tthey have enough power to blow the skin off a rice pudding...
Glenn_G

Post by Glenn_G »

'can you remember the quantity you had in each leg when you drained out the old oil,and what weight you put in i was going to go with 5w but not sure now....'
nope, as rarely measure the old oil as who's to say it was correctly filled in the first place by the last owner. I would have though if I had known this information was hard to come by :pinch:
'Geon site a chap did his and only got 200ml of black slurry out of each and said it should be 350ml.. '
i also found the original oil is horrible smelly stuff and have experimented with levels and found ~325ml will cover the damping valves and can feel them working smoothly. If you jack the front end off the ground, wheel removed etc a try 250ml and push up the fork bottom leg to check its action - probably you'll feel no resistance. Next add 25ml and repeat pushing fork leg up, as you add small amounts of oil you'll get to a point where the damping action kicks in and you feel this resistance - that is the level required for the forks. Mine happened to be ~325ml. Maybe Geon guy found his working level to be 350ml.
I'm currently using ATF Dexron 2 and its spec shows Viscosity at 40°C of 34.9 & 100°C of 6.8 which is inbetween fork oils I've used previously on other bikes such as Putolene HPX 7.5W and Silkolene Maintain 10W.
I'll probably try a heavier weight oil in the future as the damping for me is a little light/slow, mixing atf and whatever I have in my garage left over oils.
'Good to see you back Glenn , hope all is well '
Good cheers, you?
'The original toolkit, does it contain the correct spark plug spanner. '
Not sure if/when the parts website is up, but when I looked a few months ago you could not buy the spark plug spanner on its own, you had to buy the whole toolkit at £25 iirc.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Glenn_G wrote:
'Good to see you back Glenn , hope all is well '
Good cheers, you?

'The original toolkit, does it contain the correct spark plug spanner. '
Not sure if/when the parts website is up, but when I looked a few months ago you could not buy the spark plug spanner on its own, you had to buy the whole toolkit at £25 iirc.
All good here Glenn, thanks. Good to see you back

Return to “BIKES”