WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
netsonic

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by netsonic »

The light switch is a weak point, its now been superceded with a new part which i got a while back but took 3 months to arrive. 100% better than the origonal. You can fix the the the origonal one but it has lots of small bits when you take it apart but it has two springs onto two contacts one for low and one for high. The contact gets stuck in its plastic housing and with care by stretching the spring and removing any burrs it should make contact but its still a bit temprimental, new switch solves this.

http://geon-club.com.ua/forum/viewtopic ... &start=175 scroll to the bottom

Pics of new switches, did show this on page 40 but all photos gone since this forum was updated
Attachments
20170609_152028.jpg
20170609_152028.jpg (91.82 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
20170609_152016.jpg
20170609_152016.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
Last edited by netsonic on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Out of curiosity. .........the parts you ordered that are arriving next week i assume their from wk and they had these in stock........seems unusual parts to keep in stock or am i being cynical :geek: :roll:..............hope the rebuild goes ok.........
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Gazgazzler wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:29 pm Very sorry to all the guys that gave advice for my late reply about my smoking WK :oops: I have been watching the forum with interest!

We stripped the bike yesterday and found to my horror that the gudgeon pin had come loose, either the circlip failed or it wasn’t installed properly and the pin moved causing massive damage to the cylinder wall.

That's not good!

A lot of metal has gone through the system - have you checked if there is a gauze filter(s) on the pick-up for the oil pump? And it would be worth looking at the innards of the oil pump too.....
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
Gazgazzler

Post by Gazgazzler »

Thanks guys, I'll look at the switch once the bike is back together.

Now this thread is 47 pages long, I wondered whether some of the more experienced could start a new one (or just summarize) with common faults and fixes (just the switch above). I dont think my engine is a common fault, I've just been unlucky.

Also if anyone else in future is trying to get the cylinder head off, whilst the engine is in the frame, it is VERY tight. We had to saw off a sensor mount above the cylinder head on the frame, but with hindsight it would have been easier just to remove the rear most stud of the four (marked in blue) before trying to the lift the head, this (I think) would give oddles of room. Also we got a bit stuck of the plastic timing chain rubbers.
stud.jpg
stud.jpg (112.02 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
WRT debris, I have looked at the frame guaze filter and that was OK'ish (not blocked) before I discovered this issue. I'll rebuild and clean the engine and frame filters a few times whilst running in.

I agree with parts comment, I was surprised that had the parts, they were OEM parts from Quadzilla, but I had been looking at XR400 parts on ebay as an option.

Phil
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

netsonic wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:06 pm Back on the brake debate, been checking alternatives and CMPO have these
https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonlin ... rtno_BP038
they have conflicting measurements which ive asked they clarify but i do think the CD F544 is a clue. I re measured the stock one in my bike and got 94mm x 33mm, not sure what spec they are i assume carbon, but at only £4.53 a pair may be worth a punt. Will let you know if i get a mail back from CMPO with their view of the size............not checked if WK have any in their spares department, may call them as well
Hi all just a quick update to say the pads from the CMPO website are an exact match, odd that they are painted silver but they have the CD F544 code on the back the same as the stock ones in the bike. Although we now have the EBC option (FA664) i thought i would check the CMPO option so ordered a pair yesterday and arrived today. Mine will need replacing very soon, i don't consider myself as a heavy on the breaks biker but with a shade over 3K on the bike the pads have very little left ! Once ive fitted and tested them will report back, expectations low :( unlikely to be any worse :| you never know could be an improvement :o

I aim to put some fresh brake fluid in the front as well as the new pads, i also plan to do the fork oil which is over due and will try ATF dextron 2 as mentioned on here, have a few days off work week after next so will get this done then
Gazgazzler

Post by Gazgazzler »

I had a good read of that Russian forum, really good info. My first mistake was to change the headlight bulbs for standard car ones (which I presumed they were), note 30/35W, so I doubled the load on the system and probably cooked the switch in the process. I will order correct bulbs tomorrow. Also a guy tried an LED bulb and I think it was less then useless.

The bike is now running again...phew, no more James Bond Smoke screens! Just run it in now!!!

Also that stud bolt to remove above is M10 Metric fine thread, if your trying to double nut it. Also its worth taking off the whole exhaust at the start of the job, its quite easy and gives a lot more space to get the chain tensioner etc.

Phil
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

The LED they used was probably off centre on the reflector so I guess the refraction was less than stellar,it can be an issue with many that are only designed for filament bulbs.
With the larger filament bulb i.e. 45/50w you could wire up a couple of relays in line to take the load of the switch gear.
Gazgazzler

Post by Gazgazzler »

I also read other problems that the larger wattage bulbs were melting the lenses and the alternator struggled to keep up - No opinion on this, just what I read. I order two 35/35W bulbs from ebay.

The new switchgear turned up today, and was the more modern type (as shown above by Netsonic), for just £20. A word of warning if you try to fit it, I drilled the hole about 1-2mm too big in error, it needs to be exact size, mine does move around very slightly, but not enough to worry me. It fixed the problem of no dipped beam and extremely easy to fit
Switch.JPG
Switch.JPG (71.79 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
I cant get over the prices, I wonder what BMW switchgear would've cost, but then it may not have failed so soon?!?

The suspension has been set very low on the rear on mine, I bought a C spanner to adjust it (for princely sum of £3 from Quadzilla) but cant decide whether to go in LHS or RHS (when looking forward) to adjust it - both look a lot of work or is there an easier way? How many threads show roughly when its set up from factory?

Phil
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

If its a pin into the bars you refering to you could try some heat shrink round it to tighten up the fit.
Gazgazzler

Post by Gazgazzler »

Great run out on the bike today to Holy Island across the causeway

InkedIMG_5421 - photoshop_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_5421 - photoshop_LI.jpg (104.92 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_5419.JPG (120.3 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
It never missed a beat and no more smoke! I love the gentle burble of the engine at low revs

Return to “BIKES”