WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
netsonic

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by netsonic »

Hi Ed & Ned, not sure if i can help or hinder your predicaments as I don't have the issues you describe but for what its worth here are some thoughts

For both you now have non standard set ups, exhaust, lambda, egr blanking and even oil coolers all unknown territory so no easy solution, sorry sucking egg's :roll:

Using the mods we have outlined in this thread to help prevent engine stalling and cutting out are what we could consider as baseline checks, that being fuel cap breather, TPS setting, tappets set correctly, no air leaks in any hoses, IXG24 spark plug and even some 97 Ron fuel, i went back to this when mine starting to run badly and found i must have knocked the TPS out, reset it and all perfect..........but check all as a matter or course

Ed i think the chances of an air lock in your new oil coolers is unlikely, I believe the flexi hose at the top of the oil frame that goes to the cylinder head is a breather, ultimately venting via the crankcase breather allowing oil to expand and contract naturally.........as the oil can eventually drop to the sump of its own accord them the oil circuit is open and free to move, do like the oil cooler set up though

Ned the cutting out at speed needs to be process of elimination and seen as mechanical or electrical. If all the baseline checks are done as mentioned above it could be electrical..........however before we go there if the tank breather is not working as it should, based on your bike cutting out at speed the demand for fuel at this point is high and the fuel pump needs to work hard so any small vacuum may reduce the pump pressure enough to cause fuel starvation especially if the fuel is low as well , again exaggerated due to demand vs speed, When you turn the bike off the vacuum is released as the pump re primes and off you go............ :idea: :?:

In terms of the fuel cap there is an extra hole to be drilled in the plate that hides the cap and bearing, really helps if this is done
sketch-1492529159923.png
sketch-1492529159923.png (555.2 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
EdwardCollings

Post by EdwardCollings »

Thanks Steve

I've managed to get the bike pretty well dialled in but I found if you can get it I run well in town it's pretty much there... My initial going for a good ride in the country lanes, always flowing through the gears with little to no waiting at junctions doesn't expose the cutting out issue, my first trip into work had the bike stalling at every set of traffic lights!

The clutch itself can catch you out a little at first and possibly be mistaken for a fuelling issue.

I read about your LED headlight bulbs and was wondering how you have got on with them? Do they give off much heat?
EdwardCollings

Post by EdwardCollings »

IMG_20200811_203059.jpg
IMG_20200811_203059.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
IMG_20200811_203139.jpg
IMG_20200811_203139.jpg (142.52 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

EdwardCollings wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 pm Thanks Steve

I've managed to get the bike pretty well dialled in but I found if you can get it I run well in town it's pretty much there... My initial going for a good ride in the country lanes, always flowing through the gears with little to no waiting at junctions doesn't expose the cutting out issue, my first trip into work had the bike stalling at every set of traffic lights!

The clutch itself can catch you out a little at first and possibly be mistaken for a fuelling issue.

I read about your LED headlight bulbs and was wondering how you have got on with them? Do they give off much heat?
The LED's in the bike are the second version I've had, these push light back onto the reflectors and give a more suitable beam than the last versions i had. They have main and high setting too. They were bought around January 2019 and are still going strong. I believe they do run cooler and draw less amps but give a crisper light than standard bulbs which i like and as the indicators and tail lights are LED these compliment the set up. I'm not much of a night rider so cant say how good they are in the dark, i really should get out more :oops:
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

EdwardCollings wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 pm IMG_20200810_153916.jpg

Fitted a 4mm spacer so I can now tighten down the seat front bolt without pulling so much into the fabric of the seat
I changed the retainer for a threaded bolt with a knurled head as I cant be doing with the faffing about getting an allen key out

EdwardCollings

Post by EdwardCollings »

Hello Steve

Are these the bulbs you're currently running?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-C ... 2749.l2649

Hello Andi

I really like the knurled nut idea, what did you use? could I see a photo from the side?
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

EdwardCollings wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 pm Hello Steve

Are these the bulbs you're currently running?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-C ... 2749.l2649

It is................, don't forget the price is for one ;)
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Andi_Archer wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:36 pm
EdwardCollings wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 pm IMG_20200810_153916.jpg

Fitted a 4mm spacer so I can now tighten down the seat front bolt without pulling so much into the fabric of the seat
I changed the retainer for a threaded bolt with a knurled head as I cant be doing with the faffing about getting an allen key out

Blimey that could mess with the wedding tackle if things go wrong :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

There be larger things to hit on front if I end up going that far :lol:
EdwardCollings

Post by EdwardCollings »

Haha a more fun vacetomy!

Return to “BIKES”