WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Markus

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Markus »

Oh, interesting, i wiggled the valve arms with my fingers an on the "T" they seemed under preassure and on the red marking (foto) they were the loose and had some play, thats where I did the adjustment .. I' m pretty uncertain now?!

I ordered parts in Poland, there were these 3 different breakpads. I took the carbon version EBC FA664TT - we'll see how they do.

Right now something else worries me much more, after cleaning there appears a new Oildrop on the cylinder every hour of driving, probaby the cylinderheadgasket / or a loose inner bolt that should tighten it ... it's gonne be a long winter in the garage. It's not much space under the frame,worst case would be to take the whole engine out (after 2200 km!).
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Hi Markus, before you decide to strip the engine due to the oil leak, these bikes can sometimes be overfilled with oil that potentially weeps out of the head gasket, drain the oil both sump and frame to check volume, no more than 2.2 liters. It's a dry sump which if left standing the oil in the frame can drop to the sump so when the dipstick is checked it appears low and incorrectly topped up. The level as I'm sure your aware should always be checked with a warm to hot engine after a 2 or 3 minute rest from switcing off the engine......fingers crossed it's just too much oil
Scotriders

Post by Scotriders »

Couple of my mates bought CRF250's so joined them for some forestry track riding which turned into a full on, no track run through the heather up Glen Isla.

Needless to say with standard tyres on it was very hard going for me and at one point the engine got so hot it just refused to start. Pushed it up the last 20 feet of hard climb then left it for 15mins and it started again, left me with serious doubts everytime I stalled or had to switch off from there until we got to a proper trail, but it held up and got me back.

The only other problem I noticed was my right turn repeater light was staying on every now and then, will need to check all my connectors as more than likely water got in somewhere.

Had a blast but think I need to get my old XR250RE back on the road if I'm gonna be doing that again though.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scotriders

Post by Scotriders »

Question about the battery meter on your clocks?
Last edited by Scotriders on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scotriders

Post by Scotriders »

I have a question about the battery meter on the clocks.
When I turn the ignition on the meter shows five bars while the clocks do their start up routine then it usually shows two or three bars when I start the engine.
While riding I never see more than three bars and it can drop to two when sitting at a junction, light etc.
If the bike cuts out as its still prone to do on the odd occasion the meter might only show one bar after restarting.
Is this normal or is my reg/rec not giving me a full charge?
The only extra draw on power I have running on the bike is a dashcam.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I would be happier testing the voltage using a known calibrated volt meter.

Remove/disconnect the battery and bench charge it before trying to conduct any tests.

TTFN

Hugh.
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Scotriders wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:48 am I have a question about the battery meter on the clocks.
When I turn the ignition on the meter shows five bars while the clocks do their start up routine then it usually shows two or three bars when I start the engine.
While riding I never see more than three bars and it can drop to two when sitting at a junction, light etc.
If the bike cuts out as its still prone to do on the odd occasion the meter might only show one bar after restarting.
Is this normal or is my reg/rec not giving me a full charge?
The only extra draw on power I have running on the bike is a dashcam.
Hi Scotriders………….personally I don't pay too much attention to the battery meter on the bike, it can fluctuate as you describe but do check the battery. The basic but not exhaustive tests are with a multi meter, standing charge baseline without the bike running and having stood for a day or two...…..do this with the battery connected and disconnected to the bike and compare the difference...........should be holding 12.7 ish……...with the bike running I think mine is about 13.62 ish and relatively stable, if it surges way above this then it could indicate reg/rec issue although a reg/rec can also cause battery drain...….none of this is testing the battery under load but is a good start

For reference I'm not aware of any wk400 owners reporting reg/rec issues although that doesn't mean they cant go faulty, the stock battery is not the best if left unloved but I've had my bike from new and always hooked it up to a battery charger conditioner and its still the original after more than 3 years and starts on the button, if the battery is left to deplete down below 12.7 volts on a regular bases it may never hold a good charge......hope this helps be good to know what you find

In terms of your cutting out have you tried the couple of mods mentioned in this thread. the fuel cap breather and TPS check ?
Markus

Post by Markus »

Thanx to netsonic for the hint, after getting the bike, I added 0.8L of oil, so it's on the upper end of the dipstick-level when cold. Maybe already too much when hot?! I'll keep you informed after checking. 2 new gaskets are bought already, just in case.

The voltage issue is the same on my bike (2 or 3 spots, even after fully loaded with external charger).
It also seems, that the battery quickly draines when not driving for 3 weeks. Voltage Measurements are on my to do list.

On the Foto you see the modified gear shift lever without sharp edges:
Attachments
IMG_20200102_191422.jpg
IMG_20200102_191422.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Markus

Post by Markus »

Today I had to drain 480 ml of oil. When cold (after the filter change) it was just right but when hot, the level was much too high.
I never had a bike before, which showed such huge level-differences according to the temperature. Must have to do with the dry sump construction, I assume.
Scotriders

Post by Scotriders »

Thanks for the replies about the battery.
So was out again with my mates on their CRFs and again my 400 had a couple of times when it wouldn't start after stopping for a few minutes.
I'm putting it down to overheating as it only seems to happen when it's been running high revs in 1st on tough terrain.
It just wouldn't start, to the point it was almost killing the battery.
However leaving it for 15, 20 mins it would eventually start.
I've seen a few things about oil coolers, has anyone fitted one and if so where did you get it from?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”