WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Paul-F

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Paul-F »

Andi_Archer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:40 pm Clean your bike, Im shocked ........Wash your mouth out :lol:
You should see her now, I brought some more of Wales back to the Cotswolds :) Not looking forward to the clean up job tomorrow.

Had a really good day though, Moly is such a good teacher. It was a one-to-one day and I learned much more and much more quickly than I did last time. Felt like I was riding a different (smaller and lighter) bike by the end of the day.
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Oh and no more cut outs since the fuel tank cap mod. One time the revs did fall to what felt like below tickover but picked up again fine with a tweak of throttle.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Glad you enjoyed it Paul and I hope you get to practise what you learned, was it all in the training area. If you dont mind me asking what does Molly charge for the day?
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Andi_Archer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 pm Glad you enjoyed it Paul and I hope you get to practise what you learned, was it all in the training area. If you dont mind me asking what does Molly charge for the day?
Don't mind at all Andi I paid £260 for the day. I think what happens will vary depending on the person and what Moly sees they'll benefit most from. I'm a novice as you know, here's how my day went:

Turned up at 9ish, had a bit of a chat and then headed off up onto one of the trails. Moly led a loop a couple of times, then followed me round the same loop 3 or 4 times. We stopped quite often for him to explain things to me (I was struggling with one of the tighter bends) then we headed back down.

After a cuppa and a chat we went to the skills area, actually just stayed outside the garages. First he did his tyre demo in the garage with a spare tyre, described the tyre profile and how to make the most of it. Then he had me doing figure of 8s, putting all the weight on the outside and leaning the bike RIGHT over at low speed. First standing then sitting.

I mean I did a LOT of figure of 8s! I can still hear him saying "again" after every short stop for a breather and for him to give me some advice and correct things. What I didn't realise until near the end was that he was surreptitiously moving the cones closer together behind me, bit by bit :)

It was pretty hard work. Eventually my concentration went and we stopped for lunch. He stressed practising constantly, even when we were riding back down to the log cabin for lunch, we were practising and he had me following his lines. I started to feel how much I'd just learned then.

After lunch we went off up the top again and I followed him for a bit. Suddenly the trails were a lot more interesting than the morning one! Steeper and some tight corners, water crossings and riding along a water logged ditch ("What? He expects me to ride through that!?") He led for a bit and then followed me. That's when I really realised what all those figure of 8s were for, everything felt more natural and much easier now, it really surprised me how much. I actually could ride through that stuff!

I think one of Moly's many strengths as a teacher is knowing when to push you but also when to stop. Within a few hours he had me doing stuff I would never have imagined I could do (you'll recognise that, I think!) but he also knew when I couldn't take more in.

He has a very systematic approach based around some core skills, and you're right, he constantly stressed the need for practice - not just riding - in between training sessions.

He gave me five points to work on, had me write them down and email them to him when I got home so I didn't forget. The main thing that strikes me is how committed he is to making sure you improve. Gives you some idea of how impressed I am that I'm going back in a few weeks for another day and expect to be back again after that. In the meantime I'm going to be hunting out empty car parks doing lots more figure of 8s!

The feeling in the afternoon when we went up on the top again I can't describe. Just sheer enjoyment and exhilaration. The practice was hard but when we hit the trails again afterwards it all made so much sense.

It was an absolutely cracking day and I can't wait to get back there. Glad I got a cheap bike so I can afford more training :)
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Oh and since this is the WK owners thread I really should say - the WK just ate it all up for breakfast!
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Lovely views up there aren't they and some of those trails do have very steep drop offs so it take real confidence to take the corner at speed. If you get a chance you should sign up to use the KTMs they are a beast but so easy to ride.

He actually told use off for riding all the time stood up and reiterated we should also practise the loop we were on sat down to get the feel for the difference and to get used to moving around on the seat on the corners as you do when stood up. There's a nice long loop up top that probably around 4-5 miles long with lots of tight turns, dips and rises so took us probably ten minutes to do on our own. Molly then says once we are all finished that Lee the younger lad does that in two minutes
:shock: :lol:
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Does anybody know the sizes for the steering bearing and seals please?
Glenn_G

Post by Glenn_G »

'Does anybody know the sizes for the steering bearing and seals please?'

Hi Andi,
You need a couple of 32005 (go with a brand name they'll last much longer :roll: ):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKF-Single-R ... hhBMYlP5CA

and a couple of seals :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/seal-for-tap ... 2749.l2649
redrooster

Post by redrooster »

Hi all. There is a wk400 near to me for sale. 2016 with just under 5k on the clock. £1500. Is it worth a punt. How easy are spares to get? Anyone with high miles on the clock?
Atb Red
Still searching!!!!!
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Hi Redrooster

All the bikes Ive seen reported on have under 10K on them and as they were only available for 12-18 months quite "rare" I think there something like 300 on the DVLA database [ https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/w ... _trail_400]. 1500 is a fair to top mark price if its running well with no issues and dependent on accessories like panniers, crash bars etc.

Talking of which has anyone seen a set of pannier rack or a suitable top box for sale anywhere?

EDIT
Last edited by Andi_Archer on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “BIKES”