WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Paul-F

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Paul-F »

netsonic wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:58 pm HI Paul, there is a chance that a Honda xr400 plug will fit, this company local to me may have one
J

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xr_4 ... n_cap_14mm

Just thought this may be the larger of the two which is not the one that broke !
No actually that looks exactly like it, I'll measure and see for sure. The lower one has a slit for a screwdriver not a hex key. Thanks!
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Yes it looks right, just ordered one and the O ring seal to go with. Worst case I'm out £11.50 and will have to try chemical metal.
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Andi_Archer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:44 pm Yes I did the Silver level at the end of last month ,great fun it was too.Im looking at going again end of this month if all works out.
Thanks for the parts list :D
Ah I'm beginner level still but wanting to do one of their trail rides one day after a bit more practice.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Paul-F wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 pmAh I'm beginner level still but wanting to do one of their trail rides one day after a bit more practice.

Keep on practising is all I can say it does get easier, I have been on several occasions to BMW, Honda and KTM over the last several years and still I struggle with tight turns and other simple stuff. I did enjoy the KTM training area it looks so deceptively simple though failed on the log turns and Mollys shock and awe technique as I described it last time ,is a great learning tool.
He will show you a task which will seem very difficult or impossible [shock] then take you through it step by step till you can actually do it using the proper techniques [awe]. You should see the steep hill he showed us that he has Orange level go down just on brakes alone , when looking down the 200ish meter incline the road below looks like its part of a miniature model.
You dont get the proper perspective in the image below but just think your actually level with the hill opposite and just beyond that ridge is an incline just like that on the opposite side all the way down to the road below... :shock:

This was Lee on the new section thats being built
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Andi_Archer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 pm He will show you a task which will seem very difficult or impossible [shock] then take you through it step by step till you can actually do it using the proper techniques [awe].
Hah yes, that's a perfect description of my last experience there, and why I'm going back!
netsonic

Re: Just when things were going so well...

Post by netsonic »

Paul-F wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:26 pm I've done a few minor fettles lately:

I've put on the new front brake pads from CMPO recommended earlier in this thread, they seem good to me, a little stronger perhaps than the originals. Also put titanium bolts in to attach the calliper to the fork leg after both the original bolts fell out while I was riding and the calliper was floating about in the breeze :)

Fitted the new double take mirrors https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/ ... 13344.html from Adventure Spec, as Recommended by Paul G - thanks Paul, they're perfect! The design is ingenious.

Here's a close up of the ram mount fitting. You can see in this pic where the original mirror snapped off from its mount:

I get a little bit of vibration wobble in the right one at about 4k revs an in the left at about 5k - no idea why they should be different. It's not a big deal though and I think they're great.

Also fitted the same hand guards as Netsonic has - so much better than the wobbly items it comes with:

Only thing is they butt up against the fairing before the bars are round far enough to get to the steering lock. Can't say it's been a problem but I might move them up a little to see if that sorts it out:

Did the filler cap mod as recommended by Norton earlier in the thread (although a bit less neatly):

And fixed my neutral light where the wire had come away from the switch by the gear lever - not a show stopper but it was a bit annoying not being able to start her without the clutch in.

Things were going quite nicely till I decided to check the inspection screw on the left side of the crank case, it had been leaking a bit of oil for a while.

There's a rubber 0 ring in there too that seemed a bit bigger than it needed to be and loose but I thought I'd put the screw back on for now, was just tightening it up and...SNAP! The head came clean off the screw. Dim memory of Netsonic telling me to be careful with it began to surface...

I've put it some of the way back in for now, without the head and sent off emails to CMPO and Quadzilla to see if I can get a replacement, not hopeful though.

Wondering if I might be able to put it back together with chemical metal, anyone know if it will be strong enough? the screw obviously doesn't need to be tightened much, it felt to me like I put hardly any pressure on it at all and it went. You could never accuse me of having an overabundance of mechanical sympathy though.

Here it is with the head snapped off, back in place just a couple of turns

Paul I forgot to mention when we spoke about the hand guards to shorten the oblong block by a few millimetres to reduce the risk of touching the screen. You do this from the screw end that goes through the guard into the block. The thread is deep enough to still accommodate the bolt if the block is shortened by a small amount

IMG_20190812_102035487.jpg
IMG_20190812_102035487.jpg (124.66 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Now that's a good idea :)
Tyrant68

Re: Just when things were going so well...

Post by Tyrant68 »

Paul-F wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:26 pm I've done a few minor fettles lately:

I've put on the new front brake pads from CMPO recommended earlier in this thread, they seem good to me, a little stronger perhaps than the originals. Also put titanium bolts in to attach the calliper to the fork leg after both the original bolts fell out while I was riding and the calliper was floating about in the breeze :)

Fitted the new double take mirrors https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/ ... 13344.html from Adventure Spec, as Recommended by Paul G - thanks Paul, they're perfect! The design is ingenious.

Here's a close up of the ram mount fitting. You can see in this pic where the original mirror snapped off from its mount:

I get a little bit of vibration wobble in the right one at about 4k revs an in the left at about 5k - no idea why they should be different. It's not a big deal though and I think they're great.

Also fitted the same hand guards as Netsonic has - so much better than the wobbly items it comes with:

Only thing is they butt up against the fairing before the bars are round far enough to get to the steering lock. Can't say it's been a problem but I might move them up a little to see if that sorts it out:

Did you fit the split clamp assembly?
Left the ram ball in the wk as I couldn't get it out.
Have the mirror and ram arm
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Remy lost a leg......No doing some fluid changes and brake cleaning

I looked at recommendations in this thread and found one leg took 420 ml and the other 430ml to get a measured 240mm height from oil to top of leg.

Shiney!

Rear bearings SKF 6005-2RSH and new oil seals 35x47x7
Is that both sides i.e. one each side as these are a tad crunchy?

New switch gear too.... though I did somehow lose the front side light but everything else works so Im happy :D

netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Hi Andi that's a wiring master class :?

The wheel bearing need two for each hub plus two oil/dust seals if they are in poor condition. The front seals I reused as they were perfect but the rear were damaged so I replaced, you may not need the dust seals !

Front wheel bearings SKF 6303-2RSH x2
Rear wheel bearings SKF 6005-2RSH x2

Return to “BIKES”