WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
netsonic

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by netsonic »

did my tappets today, not difficult just lots of bits to remove to get to them
IMG_20190722_121939444_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190722_121939444_HDR.jpg (176.99 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
All good inlet .10 outlet .15, only a very minor tweak on one valve, the other 3 spot on still

Did a check and clean around the tank arear while it was off as well
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Paul-F wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:50 am Just got back from Sweet Lamb, beginners off road training weekend with Nathan Millward, training by Mark Molineux and his team.The place is amazing, the group was great, the trainers were fantastic and best of all the bike did brilliantly. I spent a lot of time saying into my helmet "trust the bike, trust the bike". I did and she didn't let me down. Any and all difficulties were entirely due to user error :)

Saw photos on Nathan's site of the WK.
Great to see it mixing it with all the Himalayans
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Met Paul on Friday at Loomies café off the A272 near Winchester. It was roughly 80-90 miles each to get there

Its the first time I have seen another WK400 in the flesh, great day, lots to chat about and compare notes on the bikes
IMG_20190726_135805831.jpg
IMG_20190726_135805831.jpg (208.78 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

And I must tell you, you will never see a cleaner bike than Mr. Netsonic's! My poor little WK was quite abashed.

BTW I went out with the TRF today and my WK to-do list just got a new item: Fit folding mirrors. A minor off and the left mirror snapped off, sheared right off the clutch housing. I'm planning to just file the break down smooth and fit ball joint folding mirrors that aren't attached to control housings, much safer!

Also had to cable-tie the centre stand up after it started dragging on the ground half way up the Fosse way. I think eventually my bike will be mostly held together by cable ties at this rate.

Other than that the bike did great! Me, not so much..
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Tyrant68 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:38 pm
Saw photos on Nathan's site of the WK.
Great to see it mixing it with all the Himalayans
Yes it was a brilliant weekend! I really like the look of the Himalayans actually and it might very well be my next bike. But Wendy K is lots of fun atm so I'm in no rush.

Here's another gratuitous pic from that weekend of her doing what she does best:

Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

Netsonic, these look like the hand guards you have, am I right? Nice price too.

https://cwbikes.co.uk/store/#!/W-racing ... y=16139118
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Hi Paul yes they are the ones but get them with 28.6 fat bar fittings
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

Paul-F wrote:And I must tell you, you will never see a cleaner bike than Mr. Netsonic's! My poor little WK was quite abashed.

BTW I went out with the TRF today and my WK to-do list just got a new item: Fit folding mirrors. A minor off and the left mirror snapped off, sheared right off the clutch housing. I'm planning to just file the break down smooth and fit ball joint folding mirrors that aren't attached to control housings, much safer!

Also had to cable-tie the centre stand up after it started dragging on the ground half way up the Fosse way. I think eventually my bike will be mostly held together by cable ties at this rate.

Other than that the bike did great! Me, not so much..
Good to have you along on Saturday Paul..try Adventure Spec for the Double Take mirrors..and if it’s any consolation Alan on the new KTM 300 called it a day at 2pm...still think the WK’s are great little bikes...hope you enjoyed the day Image Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul-F

Post by Paul-F »

prg4967 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:47 pm
Good to have you along on Saturday Paul..try Adventure Spec for the Double Take mirrors..and if it’s any consolation Alan on the new KTM 300 called it a day at 2pm...still think the WK’s are great little bikes...hope you enjoyed the day Image Paul.
Well he lasted 2 hrs longer than me :) I did have a great time though and would love to come out again - after all I need to work on my stamina!

Thanks for the tip on the mirrors they look just the ticket.
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

netsonic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:20 pm and today I be mostly fork oiling...……..

I did the fork oil way back in December 2017 , I had the customary knocking and what came out then was horrible, black slurry which stunk. I measured each fork oil volume that came out and had 460ml in each. Based on some research this was assumed too much so went for 360ml which just covered the top of the damper. The result was great, smoother ride no knocking...…... result...….

as I have recently noticed a decline in the smoothness of the forks after around 3000 miles I would do another fork service

again today what came out was grim and this time I did a bit more of a clean and flush, again went for my new baseline of 360ml each leg using standard 5w fork oil. I think as I did a more thorough clean and drain 360ml in the right fork didn't quite cover the damper so have used 370ml in the left and 380ml in the right and will report back once tested

IMG_20190715_102250133.jpg

IMG_20190715_102459723_HDR.jpg

Bit of an update on the forks, as my OCD was messing with my head the fact I put 10ml difference in each fork I thought I would do some further experimenting with the fork oil. Took them apart again at the weekend and decided to gauge the oil by height rather than volume. The aim was to slightly stiffen the forks by adding a tad more oil but measuring from the top of the fork to the oil...…fork is compressed when doing this

Original volume from new pre first oil change was 460ml - baseline

First oil change moved to 360ml - no check on height

Second oil change moved to 380ml Right fork and 370ml left fork – no height check but visual check to just cover top of damper fork when extended

Additional check post second oil change now gauging by measuring oil height when fork is at its lowest:-

Initial height right fork from 380ml & left fork from 370ml was 270mm, strange but true
Chose to increase volume but wanted to obtain equal height of oil in each fork when fully compressed

To obtain equal heights oil volume appears different in each fork
When adding oil forks were extended and compressed 2-3 times to settle oil
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
Right Fork now @ 240mm height = 470ml
oil volume increase by 90ml - oil height increase by 30mm

Left Fork now @ 240mm height = 420ml
oil volume increase by 50ml - oil height increase by 30mm

Went for a test ride today, not a game changer but better, slightly stiffer, less dive on braking generally smoother over pot holes......yes you could argue i still have different volumes but they are the same height so plan to use this as my new baseline for futer oil changes

Return to “BIKES”