CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
minkyhead

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by minkyhead »

jayaredubya wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:21 am
minkyhead wrote:
The rally is up at £3895, the L is up at £3795 both 2017 models

So in context I am 102kg And 182cm tall.

Minky does my height weight alter your thoughts on which bike?

Thanks for the advice

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

well for a big guy the rally feels better tbo ..i think the 250s suspension gets a bad press ..it is very very soft theres no doubt about that and with your weight and 25kg of luggage it will sag a lot and kick as it packs down from time to time .. it actually compresses wel and i never bottomed it out at all ..but it struggle like feck to get back up and on whoops and stuff it actually tops out as the rebound isnt good enough ..but staedy away it will transport you around it s no hopeless its more annoying ..the front is much better than the rear and works surprisingle well out of the box ..the actual damping in the fork is extreaml;y plush and comfy

both bikes can be improved significantly and here is the rub ....the little hondas actually cease to be as little as they look once they sit up at the back and the front the suspension is actually quite good .. but i reacon the rally is sitting well south of 930 ml seat height before sag
and the older model 250l at 890/900 ..with tyres and all it is a good 3iches higher up than standard ...but it shows how much sag is in the o/e suspension to begin with ..its unreconisable from the saggy thing in the showrooms ...honda wind the preload right down so smaller folks can sit on them ...quite misleading imho
when you do the front and rear reakon on a extra inch at the front and around three at the rear ..but be warned it is a very tall bike when done im comfy on it with a 32 inseam after sag ..it fits me well ..the rallys forks are a extra inch taller too over the L

you can always pinch a inch back with a link on the rear and drop the forks ... if needed ..

at the prices you have there ..that is the cheapest rallky ive seen ...and looks to be a bargain ...the rally 1350 under book and the l650 under book
personally as a travel bike id go for the rally every time ...and that price looks really tempting

heres daves xt660 to compare the rally really does tower above it now ..ive often said it is more like a mini tenere and it feels like a very light tenere it certainly has a commaning riding position and it rides really really nice on the tar ..and for a travel bike that is imprortant too

Imagea by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0839[1] by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Do you guys have any recommendations for an aftermarket rear shock for the rear of the CRF for gentlemen of a fuller figure :oops: without spending a fortune?
Cheers
Harv
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

willywombat64 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:57 pm Both your bikes look ace Minky . Personally not keen on too much shiny plastic or garish colours but what you've done to the rally looks much better than standard in my eyes. Saw an old L model a guy in the states had resprayed and thought it looked great , understated and fairly low profile ..not to everyone's taste but I like it and would do the same if i ever buy one.
i never liked the plastics on the rally ...i knew when i bought it they would come off ...im using side panels from a 250sm ..9 quid each from thialand ..the rally plastics are massivly dearer and fowlers list the right sidepanel at 92 quid on its own ?? it is a downside for sure and the gloss finish is plain silly i think

they have brought out a kit but why oh why did they do it in transparent ....i guess it could be sprayed on the inside .. but plain red white or black would be my choice

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Polisport-Comp ... 7675.l2644
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Has anyone used those clear plastics yet?

I know I'm going to be dropping the bike a fair bit this.year so they look like a good investment but how well do they take paint?

If you sprayed them from the inside you couldn't prime them first?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:26 am Has anyone used those clear plastics yet?

I know I'm going to be dropping the bike a fair bit this year ..
why? .. take it easy, and make sure your feet can touch the ground flat, to dab.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

minky's crf250L ..

Image25229117817_2b123659ea_o (3) by gary boy, on Flickr

hope you don't mind me using this (with mine on front page of thread)
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:26 am Has anyone used those clear plastics yet?

I know I'm going to be dropping the bike a fair bit this.year so they look like a good investment but how well do they take paint?

If you sprayed them from the inside you couldn't prime them first?
Maybe model car body paint would work on the clear plastics , no priming just clean/degrease and spray , should give a good scratch resistant finish
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-RC-Rad ... cSQf-3F-pQ
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i actually rang books barn yesterday as i was considering getting a set ..just for the front tank panels ..it seems there is some confusion over if they are correct as in the picture they are not for the rally ..its looking like the ad is wrong ..but id ring before doing owt
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 am

I know I'm going to be dropping the bike a fair bit this year ..
why? .. take it easy, and make sure your feet can touch the ground flat, to dab.
I take it too easy. In the trips out I've had so far its usually gone over when stationary or on the stand. I need to get the preload adjusted ASAP.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

is the rear too soft? or the bike too tall?

Return to “BIKES”