CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
Helicoptermanr22

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Will do Sir.

My initial ride thought is that its a modern day XR250. Heavier yeas but not noticeable when riding. Im sure i will put a different progressive rear spring and other farkles.
Currently barkbusters
Tail tidy .

My tom tim rider 400 was a good piece of kit but for off road use . No good. Would not accept GPX files either. So im looking at the Garmin Montana 600 which is an amazing bit if kit so i read. Is this true??
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

minkyhead wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:51 am ...

the 250 being better if your shorter ..but by the time you have got a ims tank put some proper lights on it your saving nothing at all .but theres no doubt that the rally is the better bike on the road for me certainly out of the box its better equipped for longer distance

Good point. Sorry if this has appeared already on his long topic but Adventure Spec are doing a [urlhttp://www.adventure-spec.com/default/shop-by- ... ml?cat=362]big range of 'extras'[/url] for the 250 L and I reckon the costs would soon mount up and over the Rally?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

its no xr250 thats for sure .....i had one for near eight years back in the 90s ....great trail bike hugely lighter than the crfs probaly 30kg lighter than the rally fueled up with a belly pan ...... bloody capable ..

but for traveling ...my word no rubbish lights and wattage ..flimsy subframe 600mile oil changes ..ok a 1000 if your steady .. great bike to use in real tough terrain universally recognised as a brilliant trail bike ... which it was

the rally is a heavy girl ..but only if you try and class it as a trail bike ....if you slot it into the adv bike class ..look at its specification it actually a pretty light machine ..stick 20kgm of luggage on her and you can feel the weight for sure ..but its still very very managable on the trails ....its a solid 50kgms lighter than a fully fueled tenere for example

if any one is looking for a shock ........i has a yss actually built or copied to order of f firefox racing ....i sent the rally one in and they copied the stroke ect and made it from scratch as there was no factory option out

it had far to weaker rebound and the spring was too soft but it damped really well ...ive been riding around for months with next to no rebound but still got around ok apart from the odd hit where it wanted to catapuld me luggae into orbit and plough the front ..i just slowed down and it was fine .. i kind of liked the five boingy bouces over speed humps but it actually rode quite well and was real plush on the compression ......ive just not had the time to sort it ...

i had no complaints as they built it from scratch and a certain amount of guessing was in the game ...but finaly made a appointment and took the bike in ...they redid the stack twice to get therebound working nicley and then went another on top ... and i went up to a100kgm spring in the end from the 85 fitted

im a100kgms and luggage of around 20kgms is fairly normal for me

..anyway they have a template now to work off and the shock itself is exelent really good ..done a bit of testing and rides very very well dead plush great control

nice people and went out of their way to get the shock working proper for me ...they spent four hours on me shock three shim stacks tried and charged me just 50quid .....obvuisly they cant do that on every shock otherwise they would be banrupt ..i was more than happy as they took a chance on bulding me one in the first place and did a great job of getting it right no quibble ...i was very inpressed by their willingness to do things right and not fob me off with a a half fix ...

point being that they now have a building template for the rally and you should be able to land a very decent shock for around300 quid out of the box ..id say if your dangling luggage off it most of the time and weigh 80kgms or more ...just get the same spec or maby one sprig rate down ...see what they say ?

ihave no connection with the guys at firefox other than to say i got expetionally well treated ..proffesional and fair ... and would buy off them again no question at all ..they deserve customers i reacon 8-) ..i dont think tey are short of them and i can see why 8-)

http://firefoxracing.co.uk/

ImageDSC_0436 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

A double high spot for me yesterday both thanks to WillS - at 2,459 metres the Coll de Varradòs speaks for itself, but Will also let me have a little bimble on his modified CRF to enhance the experience ...

Thanks Will - off to millanuncios.es for me! :D :D :D

Regs

Simon

PS almost needless to say the KTM only made it to 2,491 metres - well it looked like it was downhill all the way, sorry Steve! :lol:

Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

SIDE PANNIER RAILS ? ?

anyone know of metal [s/s?] side pannier RAILS for crf250L? ? ?

(the only ones I can find are from `bikerz bits` in Thailand .. and I expect there is an import charge/tax ? ? ? )

grateful for any info :)

quote ..
// ..
Please be aware that Bikerzbits LTD. is not responsible for and will not refund any charges incurred upon arrival of our products abroad.
This includes charges such as, but not limited to:
Import duties
Import VAT
Custom fees
Warehousing fees
Any Parcelforce UK fees
Any charges incurred as a result of importing goods ordered from Bikerzbits LTD.

Prices and cost of shipping published on our website do not include any of those charges.
Placing an order with Bikerzbits LTD. you agree to take full responsibility for any charges incurred by importing our goods into your country.
..//
WillS

Post by WillS »

The Spanish Biker wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:57 am A double high spot for me yesterday both thanks to WillS - at 2,459 metres the Coll de Varradòs speaks for itself, but Will also let me have a little bimble on his modified CRF to enhance the experience ...

Thanks Will - off to millanuncios.es for me! :D :D :D

Regs

Simon

PS almost needless to say the KTM only made it to 2,491 metres - well it looked like it was downhill all the way, sorry Steve! :lol:

Great day Simon, If cut short by the KTM with a Lithium Battery Fire!!
Hope you enjoyed the short test ride on the CRF250L, i think a perfect bike for these fantastic trails in Spain.
Hope to be over again soon to complete the day's planned ride.
WillS

Post by WillS »

garyboy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:07 pm SIDE PANNIER RAILS ? ?

anyone know of metal [s/s?] side pannier RAILS for crf250L? ? ?

(the only ones I can find are from `bikerz bits` in Thailand .. and I expect there is an import charge/tax ? ? ? )

grateful for any info :)

quote ..
// ..
Please be aware that Bikerzbits LTD. is not responsible for and will not refund any charges incurred upon arrival of our products abroad.
This includes charges such as, but not limited to:
Import duties
Import VAT
Custom fees
Warehousing fees
Any Parcelforce UK fees
Any charges incurred as a result of importing goods ordered from Bikerzbits LTD.

Prices and cost of shipping published on our website do not include any of those charges.
Placing an order with Bikerzbits LTD. you agree to take full responsibility for any charges incurred by importing our goods into your country.
..//
I have fabricated and welded pannier rails for lots of bikes, mainly for other people.
But with the CRF I didn't want to have the metal frames. So purchased a pair of Kriega Overlander 30L.
They fit the CRF perfect with a rear rack, so easy to put on and remove, don't get in the way when riding.
Really pleased with them.
3E75137E-7331-4326-B47E-F628F95C8975.JPG
3E75137E-7331-4326-B47E-F628F95C8975.JPG (324.06 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for the reply, WillS.
they look really good (and centralised) but I don't think I could get me leg over them?
and I was looking to carry quite a fair bit possibly for the tet?..
.. do the panniers not rub the plastics? and get near the exhaust?
the hot exhaust is my main concern. :?
so still wanting metal side pannier rails 8-)
when funds allow that is. ;)

also .. what tyres are them wot you got on? :)
WillS

Post by WillS »

garyboy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 pm thanks for the reply, WillS.
they look really good (and centralised) but I don't think I could get me leg over them?
and I was looking to carry quite a fair bit possibly for the tet?..
.. do the panniers not rub the plastics? and get near the exhaust?
the hot exhaust is my main concern. :?
so still wanting metal side pannier rails 8-)
when funds allow that is. ;)

also .. what tyres are them wot you got on? :)
They carry the weight well forward, and didn't really notice them when riding, sitting or standing, or getting on or off the bike.
I have used them on the RB1, and worked well.
Will also be using them on the TET next year with a small tent across the rear rack.
No problem with the hot exhaust as it's shielded with the heat shield.
They do rub on the plastic a little, but that's the least of my worries!! It's an off-road bike and gets much worse treatment!!
Tyres are TKC 80, have used them on a few bikes and aleways found them ok, both on and off-road.
But that's riding in France & Spain, in Portugal they were not the best tyre in the muddy conditions.
But I would still rate them as a good all round tyre.

Looking on the CRF there is not too many strong mounting points for a rear rack, and not to happy adding too much weight so far back.
Hope that helps, good luck.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

OK, it's not a CRF but my Beta Alp has similar problems so I use the Alrider Hemisphere - OK I used to work for Alrider so it's a freebie - and it works well with the Kriega tank 'system' both for reinforcing the attachment and adding a little extra capacity - but I'd only use the tiny 5 litre 'bag' which is hardly more than a pocket.

There's still room on the standard rack for a duffle bag, in this case the yellow Giant Loop, or a tent ...

But the hot exhaust is still a problem that I have to solve on the Alp as at least on my model - they vary year on year - the so-called shield actually direct hot air out to the planners! What's the protection like on the CRF?

Regs

Simon

PS especially for Will, after a long talk with Mrs S last evening the CFR is too similar to the X-Co so I'd be duplicating. So I'm keeping the Alp and looking at serious money to fix the terrible suspension rathe than try to find at least €4,000 to but a CRF - what I haven't told her is I'll spend the difference of a third bike - current contenders is an early model Yamaha Virago or a classic Sanglas 500 - here are three plus a spare engine for just €2,000!

... or if I want still to be Mr S then a little something for her!

Return to “BIKES”