CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by garyboy »

clutch holding up well .. much better too ..

Image20180221_103057 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

custom hand guards good too 8-)
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Can anyone recommend some pannier racks for the CRF? The only ones I can find are foreign, and don't post to UK. I wouldn't want to hang huge metal boxes on it, but I reckon you need something to stop throw-overs getting melted on the exhaust. BTW, I don't have a CRF yet, but I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on one - once I get the issues sorted out in my mind.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

if you scroll back maby tweny or so pages theres some options ....fairly simple frames made ... wills has used kreiga bags no irons required ...
the plastics and heat sheild on the o/e exhaust are very good and pretty deep ..if your thinking of a o/e exhaust at anytime you will probably have to fit a support bar for the bags

there is a option from thialand full rack and panniers at reasonable but its designed to fit both the crf and the rally and they are sily wide to clear tha rallys flared panels ..that said if youyr handy its no bother to trim them ..or get a local guy to cut and shut them for you
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

minkyhead wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am ... wills has used kreiga bags no irons required ...
the plastics and heat sheild on the o/e exhaust are very good and pretty deep ..
Image25229117817_2b123659ea_o (3) by gary boy, on Flickr

Image26335124839_f8ed2396eb_b_LI by gary boy, on Flickr
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

slightly misleading that garry .... i made me own racks ..wolfmans wouldnt work without them im afraid ..wills kreiga stuff looks good without any fittings

Imageaaaaaaaaaaaa by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

OOPS .... sorry about that ...

Wolfmans .. need frames.

no pannier frames needed ...
. Kreiga soft panniers. (see Will's)
. Tech 7 cheapies. (see gary's)
. Altrider Hemisphere. (see Simon's)

Tankbag .. Kreiga (5 litre max?)

s/s pannier frames .. nice but wide .. (minky's pic) ..
Image37456726300_0dedeaebcc_o by gary boy, on Flickr

Will's Kreika panniers .. (Will's pic) ..
Image3E75137E-7331-4326-B47E-F628F95C8975 by gary boy, on Flickr

Simon's Altrider Hemisphere .. (Simon's pic .. as fitted to his Alp 200) ..
Imagealtr_3_alpthreequarters by gary boy, on Flickr
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

garyboy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 am OOPS .... sorry about that ...

Simon's Altrider Hemisphere .. (Simon's pic .. as fitted to his Alp 200) ..
Imagealtr_3_alpthreequarters by gary boy, on Flickr
Ha ha, you beat me to it. I know it's off topic re the CRF but worthwhile in terms of small bikes. Another pic of mine shows how the AltRider combines with the Kriega 5 litre tank, making them both very secure.

I've also ordered a 6 litre Acerbis tail tank which should fit on the rather puny looking plastic rack that comes with the Alps. It fits righght out at the end of the rack and the yellow duffle bag you see here should still fit, possibly with better support,

But the real solution is to reduce the luggage that I take ...

WillS and I are having a weekend on small bikes at the beginning of April with some of his French buddies, so it'll be interesting to see how it all goes. No camping gear but a general shake down before I head off on the TET with Speighty and his good lady - both on CRF's - in May!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Gary I have been using of all things a Giant Loop Great Basin on my CRF without any issues, even on 2000 mile plus trips. I'm hazarding that most pillion mounted bags would work without side racks.

I have a rear rack only, similar to the silver one of Minkys, it extends a few mm over the side so gives enough clearance to the exhaust to prevent heat build up (even with my Yoshi exhaust).

A lot of tank bags interfere with full lock, I bought a SW Motech enduro bag, which is big enough for essentials. I also use Wolfman Tank panniers, for bulky, light items (spare gloves, waterproofs etc).

I can fit enough on board for a weeks worth of reasonably comfortable camping. I can't post pics but if you want some drop me a pm with your e mail.

Paul
Last edited by P4ulie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks both. for those. I will check them both out later :)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I'm planning on making - or rather planning making Mrs S make! :D - a pair of tank-side bags from the Giant Loop 'liner' bags which were a total waste of money - The Giant Loops aren't 100% waterproof so you buy the liner. But these are really tough even they don't need to be. All they do it take up your precious space. So I just use gossamer thin dry liner bags and thus have the originals up for an alternative use ...

All this talk of luggage, must be nearly Spring ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “BIKES”