CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by garyboy »

WillS wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:10 am
They carry the weight well forward, and didn't really notice them when riding, sitting or standing, or getting on or off the bike.
I have used them on the RB1, and worked well.
Will also be using them on the TET next year with a small tent across the rear rack.
No problem with the hot exhaust as it's shielded with the heat shield...
Looking on the CRF there is not too many strong mounting points for a rear rack, and not to happy adding too much weight so far back.
Hope that helps, good luck.
yes .. I don't think the crf is meant to carry a lot of weight .. but the 5 or 6 mm fixings for the rear rack are quite strong. .. tho, as you say, Will, I would not want too much weight to the rear. .. also I do not like any weight at all to the front .. so that limits things somewhat.
I don't have much faith in the exhaust heat shield tho,

I will keep looking

I was told the tkc80's are fast wearing? .. they look very similar to the eo9 I just bought, but which are supposed to last longer .. I will find out next week what they are like in the mud?
cheers :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

The Spanish Biker wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:26 am OK, it's not a CRF but my Beta Alp has similar problems so I use the Alrider Hemisphere - OK I used to work for Alrider so it's a freebie - and it works well with the Kriega tank 'system' both for reinforcing the attachment and adding a little extra capacity - but I'd only use the tiny 5 litre 'bag' which is hardly more than a pocket.

But the hot exhaust is still a problem that I have to solve on the Alp as at least on my model - they vary year on year - the so-called shield actually direct hot air out to the planners! What's the protection like on the CRF?
I don't trust that crf heat shield at all, .. and the exshaust sticks out too far as well .
but that's a nice system you have, Simon .. very neat .. tho I would like to have a traditional pannier system ..
this is the best so far ..
https://bikerzbits.com/honda-crf250-sta ... racks.html

ps .. Simon, why not buy a good second hand crf250L ? ... last year there were loads going for sale here in uk for low money (don't know about now tho as they are now more popular)

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

looked at them gary ....they are made to fit the rally and the 250l

the problem with them is they are ridiculasly wide to clear the huge flared sidepanel on the rally .....they wouldnt look great on a rally and i think they would be plain silly on a 250l

Imageside_racks_crf3 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

on the 250l ive used a very simple 10ml allthread bar lined with a washing machine hose ...they provise support and tie down points for bags .....look a bit strange but are tried and tested .....and cheap as in 7 quid cheap :)

ImageDSC_5332 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0016 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5326 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

i resorted to making my own for the rally ...i couldnt find anything at all that woulnt be silly wide ...i removed the side panels and exhaust and i would say that these racks are a full 14 inches narrower than the thia scaffolding ..its too wide for sure for a dirtbike
..the allthread solves aproblem and works well ...if you get really stuck proper stuck i could make you some when i retire this winter but would need to see yourack system and it may be better if you come down with the bike for final fitting tacking up ..but they do cut a real narrow profile compared to the thia brides

Image1503647142242 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0353 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
Imagerally by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thank you again, so much, Minky, for your input and knowledge :) 8-)
and the time taken to reply :)

yes, I can see your point .. too wide (and too expensive)

I shall have a go soon at something like you said .. I was thinking `welding` but it looks like it does not have to be.
I suppose it is only to stop the swinging into the tyre and exhaust,
the weight is taken by the seat and rack.

Thankyou again .. for your kind offer of testing and fitting 8-) :)
.. but I am terrible for cake and if there is any there it would not be fair :D
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

garyboy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:09 am
ps .. Simon, why not buy a good second hand crf250L ? ... last year there were loads going for sale here in uk for low money (don't know about now tho as they are now more popular)

Thanks for the thought Gary, but here in Spain second hand is dead expensive, nothing at all below €3,000 and mostly nearer four, plus the costs of change of ownership, etc. etc.

On the other hand the Alp is quite old and a bit tatty and although it's low Kms I would be lucky to get fifteen hundred for it, more like a thou.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

tbh Simon, the payments for a new crf were not much more than for a previously abused one,
and its nice to have a brand new bike .. innit :)
but what you say makes economic sense, and the alp200 is really light and manoeuvrable
tho I found with my previous crf230 (fairly similar to the alp) that the suspension was harsh (tho the new owner thinks its great?).
a mate of mine used to have the alp200 and he would tank the arris of us lot on technical bits,..
now he's got a ccm he keeps falling off and breaking body parts :D
I find the crf250L far superior to the crf230 and the std suspension is fine/v.good. (for light use)
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Minkyhead,

I was quite pleased with the stock tyres on the Rally, is there marked improvements with others. I want them to be 50:50.

Also the stock handlebars are 7/8ths yes? I'm about to splash out on some of these:

https://www.dirtbikebitz.com/products/c ... 2451083028

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 pm seriously .. while `plugs` are mentioned here ..

can anyone tell me what charging connector item I need, to fit crf250`L` (sorry to hijack)
presumably a connection lead to the battery,
with a fuse?
and an end thingy that I can plug a mobile phone to
(and, possibly in future, gps .. perhaps separate?) + an extra?

I have seen pics of twin usb outlets, but don't know how that all works,
does it automatically give the correct mA output, or is there a transformer inbuilt?

gary
Hi Gary,

Yes any of those Chinese ebay twin connectors will do the trick or an expensive one, you pays your money you makes your choice.

A fused one is a good idea. The cigarette type are straight through 12V off the battery and the USB port ones are transformed down to 5V. There are choices on the max power output sometimes in mA so if you are charging something big you need to take that into account but generally you kit will draw as much power as it wants rather than too much.

With the USB outlets its better to have them powered only when the ignition is on as they are constantly drawing a tiny current. Some people use the lighting circuit.

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for that, Bren :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

2 short reviews of the crf250L

by garyboy on 17/10/17 ..

there is no need to sing the praises of the crf250L
you simply get on and ride quietly where others fear to tread

there is some truth in this .. I have not tried the klx, or many other small trail bikes, but I have ridden with a few owned by mates.
eg .. the ttr250 is a cracking bike, plenty of power and traction .. but can be noisy and old fashioned in its rough tough delivery.

what is amazing about the crf250L is its lack of amazing surprise.
it just rolls gently over places you may have worried about,
no drama, noise and power (signifying nothing)
just an easy ride that can take you to some awkward places.

the fuel uptake is great at very low revs
its FI is fab and easy

no roaring, or spinning of rear wheel with chunks of grassy hillside flinging out
just a modest advancement to where you want to go .. safely.

.. so how can you sing about that?
its not an endure bike
not all that high powered
its weak to average on the road,
but great on small tarmac lanes,
great for long distance tarmac roads (tyres permitting) .. comfy seat and riding position,
very good (for perpetual novices like me) on trails but a bit heavy and sometimes cumbersome on technical bits

but overall ... fab (if that's your thing)

garyboy

by WillS on 17/10/17 .. (copied by kind permission :? er .. hopefully :) )

I have the CRF250L, and think it's a great little bike.

I can only compare it to my previous bikes I used on and off-road. A 1200GS and a 650 Dakar.
I still have the Dakar for longer trips, but sold the 1200 GS as it was not getting used, a bit like the Dakar now!!
But today the bike that gets most use is the CRF, a great little Dual Sport Bike. Perfect for the trails around the French and Spanish Pyrenees.

I really enjoy riding the little bike, ok it's not fast, it's not powerful, but great fun, it puts a smile on your face every time I use it. But it really comes into its own on the trails, so easy to ride, and enough power (for me) to cope with all the trails around the Pyrenees.

Personally I cannot fault the bike, it does everything I want it to do, and with the Kriega Overlander 30 you can turn it into a small adventure bike for longer trips. You can have a good day's ride for less than 10€ in fuel.

Will
........................................................................................................................................................

Return to “BIKES”