CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
Moo

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by Moo »

What’s the point in the cost of fully synthetic if it’s likely you’re going to change the oil often. Don’t see why Halfords m/c oil is causing wear. They should all be the same JASO/MA/MA2 spec which has no clutch modifiers.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Moo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:14 am What’s the point in the cost of fully synthetic if it’s likely you’re going to change the oil often. Don’t see why Halfords m/c oil is causing wear. They should all be the same JASO/MA/MA2 spec which has no clutch modifiers.
thanks for the reply, Moo ..
I am not up with the oil types, except that some have slippy molybdenum and some can only be used in car engines.?.

It seems that Halfords oil is ok … so I guess that means it could well be that the 120/90-18 oversize tyre (with big knobbies) is rubbing and straining the clutch .. when moving but not at rest with no weight on?
((std tyre size is 120/80-18 with small knobs :D ))
I must admit that the 5 centre clutch holding bolts are only pinch tight.. but are under spring tension?

Will look next week when my KNackered joints in KNuckles and KNees stop stinging and KNocking from the cold :lol:
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

its the oil slipping the clutch you should change it to semi not full slippy it just to sticky and stays on the plate to much , standard car oil will be fine no posh stuff . its not in there long enough to break down . as for tyres go back to the correct size and the problem will go away . how many clutches to to miles? why do you think honda have a r&d department? or have they just got an8x8 shed !!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

halfpint wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:41 pm its the oil slipping the clutch you should change it to semi not full slippy it just to sticky and stays on the plate to much , standard car oil will be fine no posh stuff . its not in there long enough to break down . as for tyres go back to the correct size and the problem will go away . how many clutches to to miles? why do you think honda have a r&d department? or have they just got an8x8 shed !!
wish I had an 8x8 shed :D
but yes of course you are right 8-)
I am just too mean to change the tyre .. because of cost and because I really like the tyre
I will have to give it thought though
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

well .. as mentioned .. my third clutch is nearly burned out (worn out) and close to max adjustment.

I have now adjusted the oversize tyre further back,
and also put the rear shock back to its correct height.
(so that the seat is a lot higher off the wheel)

Problem Solved !!

it must have been rubbing somewhere I couldn't see.
I also read that as enduro type tyres are thicker, they heat up more and expand 20 mm (dia I presume) .. which would have made it worse.

reprieve from the scrappies it is then !
Last edited by garyboy on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I had a puncture a few weeks ago … the only one in 7 years of riding trails!

the inner tube had scuffed all around on one side, causing a lesion and hence a leak.

it eventually dawned on me that I had taken the slipper clutch thing (thin ring cup spring) out, and that there was nothing now to lessen the sudden force of rotation tyre/rim.

so I guess it means fitting a rim lock to my mild mannered mount!
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I must admit that the 5 centre clutch holding bolts are only pinch tight.. but are under spring tension?

Aren't these meant to be done up till they won't go any more, that would reduce the spring pressure hugely making it slip??
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

steve the grease wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 am I must admit that the 5 centre clutch holding bolts are only pinch tight.. but are under spring tension?

Aren't these meant to be done up till they won't go any more, that would reduce the spring pressure hugely making it slip??

.. on my second clutch, while assembling, one of the bolts started to go loose after a very small amount of torque, so I assumed that it had been threaded / stripped …….. so on my third clutch I just finger tightened them .. been wondering about this ever since!

as this present (third) clutch is now holding! after being nearly worn out, I presume that the spring load is enough ???? otherwise it would slip more as it wears?

I think the problem was the tyre rubbing after expanding with heat ??? and rubbing underneath the seat, under compression load, or at the front of the swing arm, even tho I could not see where ???? seems ok now the seat height is higher and the chain adjusted back a bit more ???????
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

well … as I have raised the seat height back to its original spec ..
I now have to get the side stand back to original as well!

I didnt like to ask my mate to undo his good work, (shortening)
so decided to buy oem side stand ..
doh .. £86 .. ( but £36 on ebay, replica, which looks too short anyway.)

so bought a stick welder .. for £60 complete
If I get electrocuted and die, I will let you all know :D

Image20190418_132813 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MMA-130A-AC- ... SwEoxamvin
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

the best way is to cut the stand through about 3 inches above the foot but below the spring attachment, the find/fettle a piece of solid rod that will go INTO the tube--and wiggle about until you have the right length. All you have to do then is run some weld around the two joints between the original stand and the rod and tidy up with a grinder. May not be the prettiest--but will be solid as the welds are only fixing the length.

Return to “BIKES”