CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
P4ulie

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by P4ulie »

Simon_100 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:36 am
All this talk of luggage, must be nearly Spring ...
I can't wait, I'm starting to feel all my broken bones. This is the first winter since I started riding that I haven't felt the urge to get out 'just for fun' I do use the CRF Mon - Fri for work, but it's not the same :(
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Thanks for all this. Is the heatshield on the exhaust enough to stop panniers burning? or do you have to out then over the plastic of the side panels?
jayaredubya

Post by jayaredubya »

On topic but off the wall suggestion. In Ikea the other day they had a cycle with a rack and panniers. Sure with a bit of improvisation they could fit a CRFImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jayaredubya

Post by jayaredubya »

Minkyhead

What's your thoughts on a CRFx road legal over the L?

I have a chance to buy a 17 plate X at 4395 and everywhere I look it looks a good deal.

And with rear suspension being a little more enduro it looks a good option.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

well a very lot depends on what you want to use it for id think ..dave , nethan has one and kevin too they tend to use em off road only and use a van ..and if thats your intention i think it would be a real nice machine for the job
ive not ridden a 250 yet but the 450 has a real tight close ration gearbox and is pretty revvy on the road in top gear but has power lots of lovelyn power

the price may depend on the hours and type of use but they are wel south of 7 grand new ..so take that into consideration too id think they are a 5 speed transmission which is no good for the road ..if there owt like the250 huskies ive ridden they are revving their nuts off at 60mph and the husy has 6 speeds ... getting the gearspread for duel sport is not easy and the enduro bike tend to be very very short geared

service intervals are short but im sure they could be extended for trails riding ...i dont think they would streach to long distance ..ido know a lot about the 250l but not so much about the 250enduros so i wont waffle ..id suggest putting up a post asking owners opinions on model servicing ect ect
if i thought they could do the milage i need them too id have one tommorrow if it had the same gearbox as the250l..
that could be said for quite a few bikes though ..if i was trail riding only and using a rack or a van i would use a more dedicated machine ..i rode a beta 390 last year and it was like feckin cheating ..but i would also say that for 90 percent of uk trails it was probably over kill ..i think if i had a bike like that id probably need to go and find a bit more of a challenge ..and tbo at my age im happy to stick rather than twist ..if i was looking for a dedicated trail bike i would not chose the 250l ..i have mine set up more like a mini tenere than a enduro type bike

the overiding reason i stay with the little hondas is distance and reliability they do a decent job of getting you around and they are able to take on and get around most trails better than some think ....but the suspension does need some help

any way yes put a post up and ask the owners id say if you want to travel distance id guess they would say thay are bit too high strung and low geared ..but for more local work theres pleanty out there ..

keep well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
hornet

Post by hornet »

I ordered the levers as suggested by Mr Minky and they turned up and look pretty good my main thinking is they were cheaper then buying two original ones as replacements. They fitted in pretty straight forward, i didn't realize they were shorter but that's ok with me. The front brake due to less leverage feels a little weak but I'll adapt to that. The clutch lever I've had to really move the adjustment a long way out and the lever still touches against the plastic switch housing rather than the grip cant seem to find a way round it. The clutch is doing what its supposed to do ,so its ok. I think it probably another one of those 17 model changes that I've encountered. I'd still but again happily thanks Mr Minky saved me a few quid again :D

Still cant find a rack I like that isn't in America with high delivery/import fees boo The adventure spec one is nice but £125 seems mighty steep to me.

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

if you cant the levers down they clear the switch housing better ...if you get short of adjustment take the screw out put it in a vice and dog leg it at the top ..this will give a much bigger range of movment as standard ..you will need adjust in one full revolution of the screw but it will .give a longer range

hope that makes sense
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
hornet

Post by hornet »

minkyhead wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:53 pm if you cant the levers down they clear the switch housing better ...if you get short of adjustment take the screw out put it in a vice and dog leg it at the top ..this will give a much bigger range of movment as standard ..you will need adjust in one full revolution of the screw but it will .give a longer range

hope that makes sense
Oh I see yup I get the dog legging idea I'll give it a try but as said it does work just that it hits the housing

Thanks buddy
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

Dodgy Renthal sprockets warning:
although unlikely to affect anyone with a brain.........Detail here"https://m.facebook.com/groups/411216699 ... 4606349750"

Return to “BIKES”