CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
hornet

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by hornet »

garyboy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:02 pm just a few notes/observations ..

. The oil drain plug (bolt) did not seem to have a copper washer.
. The oil drain bolt is unfastened with a large Torx key (you will need one).

Gary the oil drain bolt isn't the T50 one its a 12 mm plug that's based funnily enough where the crappy plastic bash plate has the hole for it, doh

Its my fault but I read your post and just got on and did it. Then after I couldn't find the crush washer and spent 10 minutes swearing about crappy Honda techs I looked at the manual again and yup its the wrong bolt to use. I've looked at other threads and others have done the same. Nobody seems to know why the T50 is there or what its torque should be anybody here have any idea.

Hope this helps someone out from making the same mistake (if that's what it is)

Regards
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

hmm ... it does look like it is a hex head protruding BOLT, Mike :roll: at least in the manual,

I did look under the bottom of the engine and could not see any other bolt except the T50 torx head one tho :?
and it did seem to line up with the hole in the bash plate
I would have to have a closer look again?

but .. it did the job of draining the oil ok 8-)

tho it did feel strange tightening it back up again, as it came to a sudden stop! with no play or give!
so I guess that the torque is quite high ( I just did it fairly tight by hand, and could feel that it was not going to tighten any further with normal hand pressure)

I am not worried about it, as I have test ridden it over a couple of 100 miles, and no oil leaks or problems. and oil level fine 8-)

(but thanks for letting me know .. will check again for the 12mm BOLT)
I will finger the hole in the bash plate :twisted:
Last edited by garyboy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Mike .. does this mean you have replaced the clutch plates?
hornet

Post by hornet »

No just the oil change for the first service.

Just checked the manual and it says drain plug is the 12 mm bolt. the T50 is more like 14 or bigger and the give away is it has no crush washer on it. The reason you, me and others may not have seen the correct bolt is, its on the other side and there is a kind of lip that partially obscures the bolt head. As you have said it does do the job but Its just plain odd that its there. If anyone knows a reason enlighten me please.

The oil filter cover / gasket is being a pain I've re fitted it 3 times now and still it leaks / weeps. Its funny never had another bike leak what so ever. I did recall Minky saying that its a common issue and used a sealant perhaps if he reads this would be kind enough to give a product name or link please.

Mike
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

did you put a new gasket in (oil filter gasket)?
I read somewhere .. it may have been a post by Hugh on here .. to put a very thin smear of grease on the gasket to make it supple (and for it to stick on a bit)

I had my first (600 mile) service with a Honda trained mechanic of good repute . and there were no issues .. but minky did have problems (so .. a smear of gasket sealant?)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

im not sure but ata guess its a access hole to insert a tool to lock the crank at TDC when the camchains and cams are out

this could be wrong justa guess?

ive had a sweating problem on the 300l not a leak in any true sense ..bought a new gasket ...no different... i have a tube of wellseal it lasts for years its not silicone based ...tbo i had from me royal enfield days ... its really good stuff ...tiny slither on the gaket bobs yer auntie 8-) carry it on long trips /holidays just in case ..never needed it ,,,ii repaired a head gakket on the 350 bullit .. head off and resealed in under a hour at the side of the a68 ....where has it all gone wrong ?? :D ..ive spent longer on a feckin puncture :mrgreen:
silicone will do it ok just make sure you dont get excess on the inside when you tighten ...tiny tiny slither on the outside edge will be more than enough

http://www.groveclassicmotorcycles.co.u ... 2592-p.asp
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
hornet

Post by hornet »

Thank you Mr Minky Just knew you would have an explanation. I do find it odd that it has no crush washer perhaps one is supposed to be put in after first removal ??? Like Gary I'll just keep an eye on it.

So as long as its tightened back up no harm done but will use the correct hole next time :oops: (geez that sounds wrong)

Will do as told with the sealant.

Mike
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

had a quick look in the manual this morning .....i didnt even know it was there ..
the above is wrong ..only a guess

there seems to be no reference to it on the manual at all .....the split pictures show it and it sems to have no function other than a drain but looks to be around a16ml thread thats a big hole

it looks to be significantly higher than the 12ml drain bolt though ..so its likly that all the oil has not drained .. there is a gauze screen in the subsump in the clutch housing ..im wondering if its a magnetic plug ..it has no mechanicle function .. it seems to coincide with the metal filter screen under the clutch housing as bottom picture ..that screen picks up quite a bit of stuff i blew it out with a air gun when the clutch was out ??

unless im going gozzy theres zero mention of either in the workshop manual

i dont know what its for maby someone will know

ImageDSC_0945 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0944 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0946 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

could it be to blank of a drilling for an internal oilway? perhaps to the oil pump?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

my guess is that it is something to do with the CBR250r / cbr300r road/race bikes .. ? :?

Return to “BIKES”