CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by garyboy »

well .. still waiting for the HD springs .. but what do you expect as I only paid for first class delivery :roll:
so far spent .. over £140 .. just for parts and bits.

5 hd springs .. 20.82 .. (16.22 + deliv)
4 steel plates .. 29.88 .. (+grease)
5 friction plates .. 38.66
gaskets and spare bits .. 32.89 .. (crank + oil filter gaskets + 2 oil filters)
petrol .. 10.00 approx. to thunderroad (2x£5)
wd40, funnel, .. 7.50
oil .. 0.00 .. (old but unused stuff from shed)
coolant .. 0.00 .. (reuse hopefully)
labour .. 0.00 hopefully.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

well .. the HD springs eventually arrived
I am thinking of fixing them to the bottom of my shoes
to put a bit of a spring in my step :lol:

I need that at mo :roll:
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

garyboy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 pm well .. the HD springs eventually arrived
I am thinking of fixing them to the bottom of my shoes
to put a bit of a spring in my step :lol:

I need that at mo :roll:
Just keep taking the tablets matey ... :)

Meanwhile, I'm getting my Alp back today following some surgery on its suspension - and ... it's lovey and sunny and warm here! :D :D :D

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yark yark yar. . Well we got wonderful winds and riotous rain here in wet weather wales ;) o .. and fukkin flu :)

Anyway. Simon. Would You say the 200 alp has poor oem suspension? A mate is interested in getting one ?
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:49 am Yark yark yar. . Well we got wonderful winds and riotous rain here in wet weather wales ;) o .. and fukkin flu :)

Anyway. Simon. Would You say the 200 alp has poor oem suspension? A mate is interested in getting one ?
People dropping like flies down here with the 'flu - an 'official' epidemic which I hoped to avoid by staying put up in my village in the Pyrenees but next week I have to go to the 'health' centre down in Tarragona city to get my annual repeat prescription - so much for 'health' ...

Yes, although in general its a brilliant bike the Alp has notoriously hard suspension so your mate should be very careful. One issue is that the bike isn't worth so much money that you feel good about spending upwards of £500 on a Wilbers rear shocker, nor shed loads restringing the forks. So what I'm trying is using sae 5 oil in the forks - you can also saw the spacer in half to make the spring 'longer' but I'm hanging fore on that option - and in fact my local mechanic course OEM rear shock 'made-to-measure' at the factory for my weight and use for just €325 so I hope that works ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for the reply. Simon. I thought as much with the 200 Alp. just by the looks of it. suspension wise. but got a good name by many.
hope the mod goes well.

Hope you can fend off the flu and keep healthy to walk that amazing dawg :) and of course, keep hissing. 8-)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 am Thanks for the reply. Simon. I thought as much with the 200 Alp. just by the looks of it. suspension wise. but got a good name by many.
hope the mod goes well.

Hope you can fend off the flu and keep healthy to walk that amazing dawg :) and of course, keep hissing. 8-)
Cheers, the Alp is great, I rode it for an hour or so over midday to charge the battery - honesty Mrs S!

I'll get back with the details later when I translate the invoice properly but basically it's the new rear shock, lighter oil and a few mm's off of the spacer in the forks and a very thorough overhaul including new bushes in the swing arm and linkages.

The shock isn't the original model but does come from the Beta range. I've seen these before but when I asked Beta UK about this a while back they were rather less than helpful ... but my guy here in Tremp is a Beta dealership and did the donkeywork - including making Beta España honour an quote from 2017 that they tried to up by about €100 for 2018 so maybe crap concessions are speciality ...

Tell your mate to rev the nuts off the bike as it has no bottom end grunt at all - but I guess you CRF guys are used ti that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regs

Simon

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yes, the CRF250L is a real wimp on the road, though the rally sounds better, and the minky 300 even better :)
but `off road` it is quite an amazing machine
its certainly not an enduro bike, and relatively heavy, not much less than my mate's xr650, (he tells me :roll: )
but Honda have managed to put a budget package together that works well
.. pulls off gently with the std clutch
(await to see the new strong clutch :roll: when I can force my flu to let me go outside in the wind and wet and cold of wales to fit it :? )
.. glides easily over rocky ground and camel humps hidden in the earth :D
(I see some Bactrian camels hiding in the ground, and just ride straight over them without an issue [except for the animal rights people])
(previous bikes .. TTR600, CRF130F, DR350 .. I usually came OFF at these places, or stalled pathetically, feet dangling between the humps)
It IS a bit heavy tho and easily gets bogged down and stuck in loose wet bog, and is hard to push or move in that situation,
but generally it is quite a surprising machine .. for what it is.

Another ride mate used to have a 200 Alp, and, leading, he used to leave a trail of carnage behind while he quietly scooted over very technical hills.

Glad you have got your Alp going well .. hope the suspension works out well,
but you will definitely need to charge that battery up quite a bit more :D
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Your quite right about the advantages of the CRF - it was after WillS let me ride his down the trail that I know what to aim for with the Alp ...

... and in fact I realised then that apart from the suspension I already had a wannabe CRF and decided to get down and spend money on it when I added up the figures for selling it and buying a CRF!

The suspension isn't quite as soft as the CRF but from what I've read here that's not such a bad thing and on the roads - especially lovely bendy, empty Spanish roads! - it's great, you just wang the throttle open and hang on in, no subtlety at all! :)

Now to sort some hear protection for my AltRider Hemisphere and I'm good to go ...

Hope you 'flu gets better - I've realised that I don't need to go to the 'health' centre after all, just don't want to be admitted to one of the local hospitals where there's an outbreak of scabies - nasty! :)

Good luck with the clutch Gaz - bet you hate that! :lol:

Simon

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BIKES”