CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
Redsoul

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by Redsoul »

motorbike wrote:just a minute...you all said these bikes were reliable..now i am hearing about cam chain issues electrical problems and engines blowing up....i really fancy one and taking a test drive next week...there is a rash of them on sale ..e bay gumtree ect for under 3k with v low mileage..under 1000miles (from dealers)all of a sudden....winter effect?
These bikes as a whole are pretty bomb proof...I am picking up a 2013 model next week with 350 miles on the clock...looking forward to getting back on the Plain this winter which is not more than a mile from my back door.
cowling

Post by cowling »

P4ulie wrote:I really hope it's not relevant, but fitted a full yoshi system 2 weeks before the engine failure. I really doubt that's involved, but apart from the usual farkling (handguards, heated grips, power socket, rear rack) everything else on the bike is stock
I've had a full Yoshi system on mine since new, supplied by the dealer when I purchased the bike, every thing else was left stock and I've had no issues with it running rich or lean. Good to know about the filter potentially being put in backwards, my third oil change coming up, I'll double check I put it in right.
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

Me and the missus both have these , have had plenty of trouble free miles apart from her having a habit of falling off generally at. Standstill , I can highly recommend acerbis hand guards , the original handlebars are soft and bend easy , her's had a yoshi front pipe fitted when bought ? , mine has a fuel controller fitted prior to me purchasing , can't tell any difference as the exhaust is standard , usual bash plates , rear rack, maxxis tyres fitted , approx 120 to a tank , carry a fuel friend but never needed, they lack a little punch but get most places , will prob upgrade my suspension , put renthal bars on them , if anyone's interested there a one on eBay with ohlins and loads of upgrades at mo ? , all in all a decent little bike but no 450 ktm so don't expect it to be , I'd be interested in sprocket combinations as at times it could certainly do with a bit more pull at times
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

took a test drive a at 2 wheels embra yesterday they have a couple of v low mileage examples just over 3k sterling(thats now approx 2.5K euros) :pinch: ..anyway took a 1 mile loop.felt v sluggish and wheezy...but seemed better on the second loop..maybe i learned how to use it..seems you have to spin up the motor and change just near top revs..very smooth 30 mph in 5th..good bike if your are worried about your licence..
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

i have seen a 400 mile year 14 for sale..so out of warrenty ..so the first service due 500/600 miles?...would you out there do it yourself or give it to a dealer for the stamp in the book...even though i suspect its just an oil and filter change (at £100 )
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

motorbike wrote:i have seen a 400 mile year 14 for sale..so out of warrenty ..so the first service due 500/600 miles?...would you out there do it yourself or give it to a dealer for the stamp in the book...even though i suspect its just an oil and filter change (at £100 )
I do Jaynes myself as its out of warranty , some people like to see that first stamp in the book for peace of mind , but I suppose it should have been done within a certain time anyway , ? Good luck with the search
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

motorbike wrote:i have seen a 400 mile year 14 for sale..so out of warrenty ..so the first service due 500/600 miles?...would you out there do it yourself or give it to a dealer for the stamp in the book...even though i suspect its just an oil and filter change (at £100 )
Out of warranty I would say certainly DIY. 1st service is a check nuts & bolts & swap oil / filter. There's a lot of confusion about whether yo check the valves or not at 500. As far as vavle checks go, it's one of the easier to do / reach & mine have been within tolerances every time.

IMO the first service is the dealer trying to recoup some cash (I know where I bought mine did).

To get the best out of these bikes you do need to wring their necks through the gears (change late, change often). I find it trundles along nicely in 3rd / 4th around 30-50 mph. It takes a lot of effort to exceed speed limits, which for me using the bike daily with the sheer level of cameras everywhere these days.....is a good thing (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

i read that the first service should be done at 600 miles or a month old...so in effect this bike has had the origional oil inside for over 2 years ...do you think this could be an issue
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

Picking mine up next week with 350 miles on clock but as it's a 13 plate I will do a service on it myself straight away...at least I will know it's done right.
Spadger

CRF250 L thread

Post by Spadger »

Spadger wrote:Me and the missus both have these , have had plenty of trouble free miles apart from her having a habit of falling off generally at. Standstill , I can highly recommend acerbis hand guards , the original handlebars are soft and bend easy , her's had a yoshi front pipe fitted when bought ? , mine has a fuel controller fitted prior to me purchasing , can't tell any difference as the exhaust is standard , usual bash plates , rear rack, maxxis tyres fitted , approx 120 to a tank , carry a fuel friend but never needed, they lack a little punch but get most places , will prob upgrade my suspension , put renthal bars on them , if anyone's interested there a one on eBay with ohlins and loads of upgrades at mo ? , all in all a decent little bike but no 450 ktm so don't expect it to be , I'd be interested in sprocket combinations as at times it could certainly do with a bit more pull at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”