Super Tenere

The Things We Ride
Lancstony

Super Tenere

Post by Lancstony »

Evening all,

I recently disposed of my triumph explorer and I'm now looking at getting a Super Tenere hopefully, I'm only at the start of the buying process so not had a test ride yet but I was just wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for as probably looking at a second hand one, unless dealers have some cracking offers on that is.

Also could I just ask what you particularly like about the bike etc

Thanks

Tony
herman

Re: Super Tenere

Post by herman »

It doesn't break, with a very few exceptions.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
andyb43

Post by andyb43 »

Totally underated bike if you get it flashed it transforms it amazing!!!
Keep on top of the spoke tightening and they are fine, change the oil and go!
steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

The spokes will look a bit corroded, they all do that. Do not replace with stainless spokes.
Check the dash, button 1 sometimes dies so you cant get to the trips or set the clock. Its £800 for a new set of clocks so nobody bothers to change the. Disconnecting the battery defaults to the odometer and the clock to 1 oclock.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

your not going to get that super smooth engine like on the triumph.i to have gone from a triumph tiger 800xc onto a s10 but the s10 is a cracking bike i have done 6000 miles in 7 months and it hasnt missed a beat.easy to work on and parts are relatively cheap if you buy none gen.build quality is very good,but the only thing you would have to get use to is the noisy engine it sound like dropping a steel tool box down a steel staircase. hope this helps cheers tony.
Lancstony

Post by Lancstony »

Going to call at the dealers tomorrow and see what the situation is, found the explorer (old model not new one) really uncomfortable after an hours riding which was no good as when I am out I tend to be out all day, had to pull over and change the seat position and it got very annoying, looked at the BMW but that's out of my price range at the moment, the Tenere seems to fit the bill so fingers crossed will be able to sort something.
Lancstony

Post by Lancstony »

Does anyone have the Yamaha panniers fitted to theirs and if so are they decent? I won't be doing a huge amount of off road it would be touring on the road mainly so presume they would be OK for that purpose?
herman

Post by herman »

I have oem panniers and fittings in the loft if you get one without. I preferred my huge givi boxes which I already had. Bung can fall out of the swing arm and let water in but a bit of mastic sorts that
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Lancstony

Post by Lancstony »

Cheers Herman I will be in touch, thanks
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Whip the axles out and grease them up. There is virtually none on them and although they are not a bearing part per se, they corrode and can be difficult to remove later.
Similarly, the steering column (internal) and the drive shaft for the same reason.

None of these things are difficult but the steering head needs to be torqued in a set fashion.

A couple of fork socks will keep your seals in good nick.

If you get a Gen 1 bike, 2010 to 2013 (with a black steel sidestand - later is silver aluminium), at the first valve check (24K), get the cam chain tensioner changed for a later one. This is the best time to do it as the relevant covers are off already.

As has been said, check the spokes regularly. This is by far the biggest problem with this bike as they bed in and become loose, especially if you off road at all. Unlike most motorcycles, there is no tube to stop a loose nipple unscrewing itself.

Don't let wet crud fill the ABS ECU container box. Crap from the rear wheel creeps through some fixing holes.

Dont let this list put you off. Aside from a few faiures, these bikes are bomb proof but don't expect BMW LC GSA performance.

Return to “BIKES”