Super Tenere

The Things We Ride
bimota

Re: Super Tenere

Post by bimota »

steve_h80 wrote:The spokes will look a bit corroded, they all do that. Do not replace with stainless spokes.
Check the dash, button 1 sometimes dies so you cant get to the trips or set the clock. Its £800 for a new set of clocks so nobody bothers to change the. Disconnecting the battery defaults to the odometer and the clock to 1 oclock.
REPLACED MINE over a year ago and 8000 miles with stainless spokes and the wheels are like new perfect shinny spokes best mod i,ve done.

rob
bimota

Post by bimota »

Lancstony wrote:Does anyone have the Yamaha panniers fitted to theirs and if so are they decent? I won't be doing a huge amount of off road it would be touring on the road mainly so presume they would be OK for that purpose?
don,t bother with yamaha panniers there crap, my bike came with them sold them second hand and put about £250 with them and bought full set of givi trekker outback panniers fantastic.
rob
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

I found mine didn't like annakee 3 tyres especially when worn and changing them improved it a lot. Apart from that it has been a cracking bike. The longer I have it the more I like it.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

bimota wrote: REPLACED MINE over a year ago and 8000 miles with stainless spokes and the wheels are like new perfect shinny spokes best mod i,ve done.

rob
Keep an eye on them if you load the bike up. I did the same and am now on rim #4 because of them.

Image~original

The stainless steel spokes cannot tolerate being bent to the 80 odd degrees that are needed for the S10. As a result, they are only bent to around 70 deg and this puts strain on the rim and the spoke head itself. Hence the breakages.

The bike was fine for the first 7000 miles and when we loaded it up for a 2 up USA trip, things started to go wrong.

My stainless spokes were Hagon ones. I had the first set they made way back in 2010.
the enthusiast

Post by the enthusiast »

Hi there

Went from a Honda Varadero to the Superten last Sept I think it was . 8000 odd miles on it now 2015 ES Model.

Love it , not missed a beat, running on Michelin PR4 trails , which are road tyres, great grip and handling. Faster and better handling than the vara. Added MRA screen , side wind deflectors and usual Hugger and fender extender. help keeps crud out from where its not wanted.

Luggage is ok for general use , locks are not the best though and lids fasten ...er ...in a uneven way but do keep the rain out. basically they are just plastic panniers and if i was going on 'Adventures' i'd go for something proven rugged like metal mule etc. If there on it fine but if not get yourself some Givi etc. Near enough same price as Yam ones.

As others have said keep an eye when washing the bike on spokes in the rear wheel, give em a ping . Any dull notes and tension them up , its all in the manual and part of your regular checks. Tensioned a few loose ones when I first got the bike with 3000 miles on it at 8000 now and all just fine.

Brilliant do anything bike that will stand the test of time. Quick enough, good torque, economical too. Some have stella miles on now and still ok . Regular servicing and cleaning should keep it good for many years.

Enjoy .

Ps I not long test roads the new Beemer 1200GS and whilst a nice bike I still prefer my S10.

(thumbs)
Pippobug

Post by Pippobug »

I went from a Yamaha TDM 900 to a Super Tenere a couple of months back and I love it. I have ridden in the same league BMW GS 1200 (all latest models), KTM 1190, Ducati Multistrada, Guzzi Stevio and I test rode the Triumph Tiger 1200 and for me I just love the XTZ1200. Yes it might not be as fast or smooth as some of the others but it's a lot more refined in my books. I keep recommending it to everyone even against the New Africa Twin ( and sadly that is hard to beet).

That is just my quick post :laugh: (thumbs)

Buy one you won't regret it.
2002 Yamaha TDM 900

1993 Suzuki DR 650 RSE

2006 Kawasaki Z 750 S - Wife's Bike but occassionaly I get to ride it.
bimota

Post by bimota »

Old Git Ray wrote:
bimota wrote: REPLACED MINE over a year ago and 8000 miles with stainless spokes and the wheels are like new perfect shinny spokes best mod i,ve done.

rob
Keep an eye on them if you load the bike up. I did the same and am now on rim #4 because of them.

The stainless steel spokes cannot tolerate being bent to the 80 odd degrees that are needed for the S10. As a result, they are only bent to around 70 deg and this puts strain on the rim and the spoke head itself. Hence the breakages.

The bike was fine for the first 7000 miles and when we loaded it up for a 2 up USA trip, things started to go wrong.

My stainless spokes were Hagon ones. I had the first set they made way back in 2010.

YEP.
Mine Hagon to great spokes with no issues, done over 8000 miles now loaded up 2 up as well.
i would do again if i had a second one.

rob
john-g

Post by john-g »

The only problem that I had with the OEM panniers was that the Hinge being at the front so could not open them with a wide Top Box on the Bike. Had to fit a narrow single Helmet Givi Top Box.
MJF1

Post by MJF1 »

I bought one as it came very high in terms of pillion comfort (wife fancied touring). My previous touring bikes were a Ducati 900 Monster and the well know Yamaha R1 sports tourer. Needless to say it was a revelation.

Just come back from a trip to Nordkapp, 6000miles in 2 weeks and cant recommend it enough. Looked at the Triumph 1200 adventure and the BMW, and the Yam was MUCH better value. 3 years on no regrets at all.
T-P-G

Post by T-P-G »

Hi,
I have the yam panniers and top box. My views are:

Good:
The mount kit is discrete and neat when boxes are removed.
Easy to fit and remove boxes.

Bad:
The lock is poor. You cannot open the boxes easily with one hand (you have to push down on the lid whilst turning the key to avoid stressing the catch, which is only plastic). No good if you are carrying anything you don't want to put down!
Other's don't need a key, a medium-sized screwdriver under the lid will force the catch.
You can't closed the box with it unlocked, it has to be locked before you can remove the key (the lock and catch are integrated). This tempts one to leave the key in the lock whilst the pannier is open, and if you catch the key whilst it is sticking out from the lock and it breaks off that's game over for your ride. I have a spare key (no chip) just for the panniers.
It feels like you are stressing the mechanism every time you turn the key.
The top box is a real squeeze for my helmet (Shark evo 3), and the lid won't close with a scala Bluetooth fitting attached to the helmet, so I have to carry a lock in that case. There's no reason it couldn't be a bit more generous, just poor design.

Indifferent:
The capacity of all the boxes is not that generous, but that's one of the few bits of info you can find out up-front.

Conclusion:
There are far better products available, and for the same sort of money new. Yam have got this all wrong, considering the market the bike is aimed at (ie touring). Other manufacturers (Honda and BMW in my experience) have much better products that just work. If there was to be a next time I would definitely go for after-market boxes that suit my needs better.

Hope that helps.

Return to “BIKES”