anyone still riding a 1150 adventure considering trading my liquid cooled 1200 gsa in

The Things We Ride
adventure steele

anyone still riding a 1150 adventure considering trading my liquid cooled 1200 gsa in

Post by adventure steele »

Hi Everyone hope you are all well, trying to do some thinking regarding swapping my liquid cooled for an older model had a few issues with it but really love the bike on the extended warranty at the moment

enquiring what I could get for my LC' trade in / letting a dealer buy it off me gonna try go look at a few 1150 gs adventures this weekend, actually thinking of selling most of what I own excluding my classics, mac and my camera gear and taking off for a bit, so thinking its either pay the 1200 gsa lc off and live with the costs per year on it,

anticipated 12,000 miles a year at the moment from next week to next year once I press it propperly into services
running costs so far for the wet head
2x sets of avon trail riders £240 each
2 services £350
extended warranty £450

Total of £1630
+ other sundries

Would end up with £4,000 back from my liquid cooled with the finance cleared off

been keeping the millage down by comuting on my classics to work rather have something I can do everything on

anyone know how much pads are for the LC

Whats everyones running costs on the 1150 adventures anything major to watch out for on them

feasable to self service on the 1150's and is there any none bmw parts suppliers for them now other than ebay?
Tonibe63

Re: anyone still riding a 1150 adventure considering trading my liquid cooled 1200 gsa in

Post by Tonibe63 »

UKGSer is the place to look Tom. There are banner ads on the forum for parts suppliers .. Motoworks and James Sherlock are 2 that spring to mind (I've used both for service parts on my 1200 hexhead) but there will be others.
There's lots of detailed info on there for sorting most problems yourself and also Mikeyboy on here/UKGSer can sort many major components etc.
That's the easy part sorted ..... the rest is down to personal choice/finances (thumbs)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
diggermanbob

Re: anyone still riding a 1150 adventure considering trading my liquid cooled 1200 gsa in

Post by diggermanbob »

Hi Tom I have a nice 1150GSA for sale if your interested , pm me your email and I will send you some pics. Bob (thumbs)
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

I moved up to an 1150 GS when it was the current model back in 2003. The 1200 had just arrived but I knew even then that I wouldn't suffer the depreciation of a new bike given the use it would get. So I plumped for an as new 2 year old 1150 keeping the 1989 R100GS I had from new. Life and work continued as ever meaning we had little time go trips out on the bike but the 1150 never really inspired us (rider and pillion) and whenever we had the chance to get away we always took the R100GS. In the end, after 3 years of ownership, all I wanted to do was stem the depreciation and got rid. With the benefit of hindsight, I could have chucked some money at it and I may have grown to like it. It needed new suspension (the R100GS has always had non OE suspension),a better seat and about 50kg off the weight. I did fit different tyres thinking that would overcome the dodgy handling which it did to some extent.

I think I've ridden every version of the 1200 as they've appeared and always enjoyed them but never been tempted to part with my hard earned.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

ChasF wrote: the dodgy handling which it did to some extent.
Never ever heard anyone describe the handling of of any GS as 'dodgy'.

I suspect yours was broken in someway... or your riding style didn't suit one of the finest handling bikes available.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

And I've never heard of them described as one of the finest handling bikes available :)

Tried everything to make it steer better short of changing the suspension. Changing the Michelin tyres to Metzeler Tourance certainly made things a lot better.
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

If I was in your position it would be a oil cooled R1200GSA Non ABS /ESA that I would be looking for although they are about but hard to find. 2010 I reckon is the best year as they are twin cam hexhead ones.
ABS pumps are aroudn £1400 when they go wrong which is why I wouldnt want all the tech if possible. But like everything its a personal opinion depending on what floats your boat of course.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Sleepy wrote:
ChasF wrote: the dodgy handling which it did to some extent.
Never ever heard anyone describe the handling of of any GS as 'dodgy'.

I suspect yours was broken in someway... or your riding style didn't suit one of the finest handling bikes available.
Must admit the first time I rode a GS with telelever front forks it felt strange compared to conventional forks, now I know just to trust it even if I can't feel what the front wheel is doing.

Why the 1150GSA Tom? I know many go all gooy eyed and loose bladder control about them but they are overweight/underpowered and do you really need to carry that much fuel?....... "light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance"
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

to be honest mate I love my gsa and its really changed my perspective on stuff open to other suggestions though fuel range has been handy a few times as my photography takes me to some pretty far flung places in the uk, hoping to get abroad, whatever I chose needs to be able to carry excessive weight and long lenses

open to suggestions though :)

cheers mike I actually saw a liquid cooled like that last night same colour as mine all the stuff that goes wrong off it, but its the engine and other stuff I've had grief with so its got me thinking about a twin cam or a 1150 :)
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

In my case it's definately an issue with the telelever front end. I obviously like the fact it doesn't dive on breaking but on my 1150 it had a serious impact on the steering and also very choppy on bumpy roads around here - which don't even appear bumpy on other bikes!

I've not really noticed the telelever on the 1200gs and rts that I've ridden but then it has usually been on different roads and I've usually been concentrating on going hell for leather rather than comfort, so can't really say that I don't like telelever but just prefer normal forks.

Return to “BIKES”