The Cost Of Big "Adventure" Bikes!

The Things We Ride
SteveW

The Cost Of Big "Adventure" Bikes!

Post by SteveW »

I suppose 15K will get you reasonably spec'd new top notch Adventure bike from KTM, Ducati or BMW.
Then the farkles begin.....that's another 2-3K of "Must Have" touring/protection/bling.
A local dealer to me is offering new ZZR1400's for 11.5K....that's the top spec'd Performance Edition with Akrapovic exhausts......knock a grand off that price for the cooking version.
That's a 200bhp Sports Tourer, that will whisk you across Europe in comfort, handle fantasticly over the mountain passes, with a 200 mile range and be totally reliable.
Just fit a top box and leave the camping to the purists!
Get's you thinking don't it?
ymfb

Re: The Cost Of Big "Adventure" Bikes!

Post by ymfb »

The ZZR1400 is a sports tourer, Ive had sports tourers and great as they have been, the thing they have I don't need and thats more power/speed. In the case of the K1300S it has poor luggage.

Generally the thing they don't have is upright/high riding position.

So for me a tall large lazy adventure bike is just the ticket, even if its more expensive.

Just my opinion of course.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Its an interesting post alright - I've had a Honda Blackbird - but wouldn't have wanted to do any real touring on it - great for a day out or as overnighter - but any more would have killed me!

Another reason for an Adventure Bike is the state of our roads - certainly where I live - its like riding on bloody green lanes wherever I go - so a more substantial bike that can barrel its way over the appalling state of our 'roads' is useful (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Yes I know a big Adventure bike will give you that warm comforting feeling that it'll handle anything.
But come on, the ZZR1400 is a top notch quality product, with a development history littered with iconic, legendary bikes.
If you really use your big adventure bike on mixed road trips and need it to access remote campsites or gravel trails fair enough.
But on a pure road trip a ZZR1400 won't be half bad would it?
Afterall you could buy a new ZZR1400 and a 2012 GS800 for the price of a New GS1200.....I'm not saying everyone would want to do that, I'm just say'in them big adventure bikes are a bit pricey and them ZZR's are bloody good value.
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I had the current ZZR1400 2 years ago and it was epic..I can't explain to you how fast it was, I also owned a Blackbird a few years before that and performance wise there was no comaparison. The ZZR is in a league of its own however... comfort wise it is definetly more sports than tourer and can't compete with an adventure styled bike.
Awesome bike though but defo a licence loser.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

The clue is in the names, Sports Tourer, its not either but a compromise of both. Adventure is far more vague tag.

You can enjoy a sporty tour on a ZZR1400 and save some money on the big adventure bikes, but I now see it as the transition between owning sports bikes and ending up with an adventure.

Now I'm old, I have both :-)
micksea

Post by micksea »

I had a zzr1400 albeit the previous model (2011) I ran over some crud that had been dragged out of a farmers field doing about 50mph,this bent the front wheel rim bad enough for it to need straightening by a pro wheel repairer.as far as using it for touring,which was my intention,the distance from seat to footpeg was very short,i had a inch and half added to the seat to make it comfier for all day riding.seat to bars was quite a stretch,fuel range wasn't great,even rode steadily (it only did 8mpg on the autobahn :whistle: )standard screen is too low.basically its a drag bike built to compete with the busa but marketed as a sports tourer.try before you buy (thumbs)
Redsoul

Post by Redsoul »

Hi Steve..I at least understand what you are saying...adventure bikes are in vogue at the moment so the manufacturers are ripping us off because we must have one lol.
Myself I like value for money so went with a brand new super tenere for under ten grand.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

micksea wrote:I had a zzr1400 albeit the previous model (2011) I ran over some crud that had been dragged out of a farmers field doing about 50mph,this bent the front wheel rim bad enough for it to need straightening by a pro wheel repairer.as far as using it for touring,which was my intention,the distance from seat to footpeg was very short,i had a inch and half added to the seat to make it comfier for all day riding.seat to bars was quite a stretch,fuel range wasn't great,even rode steadily (it only did 8mpg on the autobahn :whistle: )standard screen is too low.basically its a drag bike built to compete with the busa but marketed as a sports tourer.try before you buy (thumbs)
I'd heard about the arse to foot distance being a bit cramped on the ZZR.
No doubt the big adventure bikes tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons.....me included.
But the ZZR 1400 is a lot of bike for the money.
robson

Post by robson »

yeah, adventure bikes obviously are not for you. Get a goldwing and be over with whining about adventure costs and difficulties associated with. That's OK, not everybody can take it.

Return to “BIKES”