Mixed Feelings about GS/GSA800

The Things We Ride
Cone

Re: Mixed Feelings about GS/GSA800

Post by Cone »

Have to say I love the GS, I have a 15 plate but haven't done any long journeys yet...

I do hate the constant flat batteries - I never had this with Jap or Italian bikes... :S
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Cone wrote:Have to say I love the GS, I have a 15 plate but haven't done any long journeys yet...

I do hate the constant flat batteries - I never had this with Jap or Italian bikes... :S
Flat batteries? :huh:
Q plate

Post by Q plate »

Oh Tits.. that's gonna be yet another reason on someone's list of why you shouldn't have one :whistle:

As Nigel raises it's most likely a particular issue with your bike maybe an alarm or something drawing current that shouldn't possibly the battery on its arse. Mine can be left for quite long periods & even when I forget the trickle charger it's fine (usually)
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Nope. I leave my 800 for months at time with only an occasional tickle from an Optimate.
Starts fine. Never had a problem.
Suggest you check out what is draining your bikes battery. Some things not right.
Cone

Post by Cone »

No I think I have read on the forums its a depletive current used by the bmw electronic package/ clock etc also a build up of er sulphate on the plates which if taken to totally dead is very difficult to impossible to recover. My situation I think.

So I have just brought an expensive optimate with a recover option to hopefully save my battery...

But I have Never Ever had this on any other bike... I do love the bike thou - when I can start it.. It forced me to have a proper tantrum when i found a dead battery this saturday after i kitted up to go out.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've never had an issue with the battery going flat on my GS800.
However my Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda and KTM all need trickle charging.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Cone wrote:No I think I have read on the forums its a depletive current used by the bmw electronic package/ clock etc also a build up of er sulphate on the plates which if taken to totally dead is very difficult to impossible to recover. My situation I think.

So I have just brought an expensive optimate with a recover option to hopefully save my battery...

But I have Never Ever had this on any other bike... I do love the bike thou - when I can start it.. It forced me to have a proper tantrum when i found a dead battery this saturday after i kitted up to go out.
Well I`m no expert but the can-bus system shuts everything down when you turn off so would have thought less likely to flatten the battery? never had any problem with mine in 4 years 44,000 miles but then it never stood idle for more than ten days in the winter.
Most bikes now have a clock, electronics, immobiliser so don`t see why the GS should be any different?

Return to “BIKES”