very impressed with tenere - over 1000 miles in two days

The Things We Ride
felco

Re: very impressed with tenere - over 1000 miles in two days

Post by felco »

Marvellous bike the tenere, all though I am very biased as I love jap bikes :) and don't like bmtrooblyous,
Mines very modified but in standard form it was very capable, more so than a gs800 off rd, I have ridden the 800 and very smooth but no match for a tenere off rd, when I say off road I mean off road, a hardcored 8 foot wide surface is a road :laugh: , the ergonomics of the beemer just feel like a road bike to me, felt a bit wide allso and the suspension felt more podgy than a standard tenere, but I bet on easy gravel roads it would be ok.and on the road the bmw would far out class the tenere, but would still be a bmw ( told you I was biased).
Came from Narbonne to Sheffield last month on mine a 1000 miles in one hit, no problem, other than being bored shittles and adding oil, (the 14 tooth sprocket didn't help :pinch: :) not bad for a 9 year old single cylinder bike with over 30 thousand on the clock. Conclusion - cheap do it all trail bike, not fantastic at anything but a good all rounder.
and its not German :laugh:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

mmm you forgot to mention you have a complete new front end fitted john and a ohlins on the rear and ..that you can ride the pants off a off road bike ..oh and did i mention your biased
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
felco

Post by felco »

RandG wrote:
robson wrote:
RandG wrote:The z is a fantastic bike, I absolutely love mine, but, the sussies really are a let down when it comes to going off road at any pace, fine if just pottling along but you will be left in a hail of dust if you're out with guys on KTM's, believe me, I speak from experience.
gush I knew some KTM fan will jump in sooner or later :evil:
I know also, from my experience that guys with poor off-road skills usually are blaming suspension...

p.s.
we're not talking here about racing but traveling on & off-road, so stop comparing tenere to race bikes
face_palm.jpg
Eh ? Facts are quite simple really, the tenere sussies are no match for WP shod bikes...FACT, whether it's on KTM'S or not.
Perhaps in the past wp suspension was a quality brand but in more recent years there quality has dropped dramatically, probably due to ktm ownership and cost cutting? To be fair trying to keep oil in a wp fork after 12 months off roading is like trying to hold a fart in a G string.
felco

Post by felco »

minkyhead wrote:mmm you forgot to mention you have a complete new front end fitted john and a ohlins on the rear and ..that you can ride the pants off a off road bike ..oh and did i mention your biased
your kind words are lovely Steve, :) , but the tenere is a ace bike , as you well no, I no I am biased, but am skint at the moment and can't think of a do it all bike that could replace my tenere, last Sunday for instance I put £5 in the tank and blasted round the local trails with a range of bikes from a 250 husky to a pit bike, not sure a gs800 would have done that, then the week before I did a 1000 mile stint from france, cheap motorcycling, and yes am biased :)
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I've had my XT660R for six years. I've been to Norway in the winter (ice roads with studs) , Chimay a few times for the classic racing, Istanbul for a summer trip (taking in 20+ countries over 3 weeks, a trip to Russia (basically going around the black sea), South of Spain, and am currently in Albania part way in a trip to Greece.

In all I think I have done about 35k on it, it's now on 42k roughly.

I've changed the suspension but, ultimately it's a 660 single so whatever you do covering large distances in short times will be hard work (and I've done several 500+ mile days and one at about 850).

I think it's a tough bike (and I know it's different to the Tenere) but ultimately if you want to get through Western Europe fast there are better bikes out there.

Maybe next year I will take the R1100GS I have just bought... Provided I get comfortable with its reliability!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

[email protected] wrote:

Maybe next year I will take the R1100GS I have just bought... Provided I get comfortable with its reliability!
I'd take a R1100GS anywhere
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
robson

Post by robson »

johnnyboxer wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

but we meant other places then service shops ;) just kidding.
robson

Post by robson »

felco wrote: your kind words are lovely Steve, :) , but the tenere is a ace bike , as you well no, I no I am biased, but am skint at the moment and can't think of a do it all bike that could replace my tenere,
100% agree, funny I didn't like tenere much when I bought it. It felt strange, tall and was shooting from the pipe :sick: then factory and dealer prep were poor, clutch went south after 800 mikes for no reason. I had to check all bolts and align front wheel.

Somehow, this bike grows on me every day and after 6 months I know It's a keeper. Every time I take her for a ride it puts smile on my face, I guess fun bike doesn't have to have 150 hp, does it?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

robson wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

but we meant other places then service shops ;) just kidding.
I'd take a well prepped 1150//1100GS anywhere, smooth and comfy and pretty rugged

Not sure I'd like the same journey on a Tenere single
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tenere Mart

Post by Tenere Mart »

(thumbs) Love my Tenere 011 model ... 43000 miles and been through hell .. never giving it up .Teneres I think are in a class of their own (thumbs)
P1120532_zpslwlo9ttw.jpg
P1120532_zpslwlo9ttw.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 496 times
P1120613copy.jpg
P1120613copy.jpg (80.76 KiB) Viewed 496 times
MART

Return to “BIKES”